Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Belly Tanker & Bonneville 2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Candy-Man, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Great to meet you Candy! Sorry 'bout the luck but you guys got the rookie stuff done!!!!

2. Ah Ya done yerself proud! You built it, you ran and you are still OK. More then most of us will ever do. Very impressive to me and I know you will sort it out, no problem. Now hurry home so we can have a look at the Car!
    Don

3. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

Sorry to hear about the head gasket Neil. That thing has been dogging you for way to long! Glad to hear you and Bob got your licenses. Have a safe drive home. Looking forward to next year already!

4. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looked Way cool in person! too bad on the gasket

5. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

6. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

7. brady1929

brady1929

congrats. may you have better luck next year

8. I realize you guys had some frustrating moments, but your tank looked great and I bet the hook is set even deeper for next year. Here's a shot I took of Bob trying to see how well he fit in the modified safety cage.

[​IMG]

9. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I just arrived home, 4.700 miles for the round trip... What a blast , can't wait until next year...

Buick59 : Mike it was a pleasure meeting you and thank you for everything.

Dolmetsch : I don't know if I will have the motor back together in time for the "Arm Drop".. Anyways thanks for the kind words, come on by some time !

Tman : I am glad we hooked up for a bit, sorry I didn't have more time to talk !

JamesBoys : I'll give you a call soon Wes...

And to everyone else who stopped by and purchased T-Shirts from Bob Owens and/or myself, a huge thank you. More $$$ for some engine work next year !

Thanks to all, Neil Candy...

10. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Just some pic's from the frozen lake....

Buick59 - Mike Herrington standing in front of the Belly Tanker... This guy does amazing work with his camera.... Obvioulsy these pic's are not his, as you can tell....

Keith Floyd (long time frind of Bob) assisting Bob Owens while SCTA Starter, "Jill", giving great words of encouragement to Bob for his first, rookie run.

Bobby playing in the salt on the tires !

Attached Files:

• 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      82.1 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      80.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      65.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      61 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      82 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      83.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      68.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  11. "Anyways thanks for the kind words, come on by some time !"
    Soon as you have had time to relax and readjust I am coming for a visit.
    Don
    You enttled it pictures from The Frozen Lake. I got the same impression when i visted it on the wrong week. Do you suppose we-- in the winter? ??????? Naw. Probably a bad idea but?
    As Canucks we have all had a little "ice time" with our cars in our mispent youth. How would you compare it to drving on our lakes just out of idle curiousity. .

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Neil, sorry about the head gasket, but you're off to a great start!

You were in line next to us, but I never could find you-hopefully I'll meet you next year! The car looked and sounded great!

13. Great to talk to you about the car and racing. I'm already making a list for next year. Good luck.

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I made quite a few passes with my GMC and boost without ever blowing a head gasket, except for the one time I used a Charlie Baker-Hourning head. Wounder what happened to yours? I don't know anything about driving on ice. But driving my cars on the salt was very easy and required no real aptitude at least up to 208. Now El Mirage was a lake of a different color.

15. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I wanted to stop by your pits and have a chat, however; we were always working on the car, changing/adjusting something, adding weigth, adjusting the front suspension, etc.... You get the idea, two rookie drivers and a new car. It was certainly a step learning curve once we arrived on the frozen lake...

Next year it should not be as busy for us. Your Caddy mill did not sound like any falthead Caddy I have heard before, Killer !!!!!

Neil.....

16. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

We are running a radiator in our car. I think we were developing a positive air displacement inside of the car, therefore, the fan was not able to draw air into the Belly Tanker threw the vents. Hence, we blew the head gasket, overheating issue. I will know more once we have the head removed..... We have since added an air scoop to the side of the tank, directly above the radiator to force air into the radiator....

17. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

For driving, there no mparison to 'ice' at all Don, other than the look and feel when you are walking on the salt. The salt is very abrasive and not slippery like snow/ice, there is alot more traction... ""Similar but completely different"". Ya if that statement makes sense !!!!!

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Neil, We ran a radiator in a box, and it works great. Basically, plumb a small radiator in, place in in a sealed box, fill it with ice water, and your problem will be solved. No air needed, so no extra drag, and the heat transfer is better than with air.

I like it, because it also adds ballast.

Looking forward to seeing you next year!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  19. Despite not getting all the results you were hoping to come home with,
    I gotta say, you guys are still living the dream!!!
    Car looks killer!
    Wise men learn from experience
    You'll kick ass next year!
    Congrats

20. The car looks fantastic and it sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot. I sure wish i could have been there, maybe next year.

21. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Flowmeister : All in all, we are pretty excited with our 143 MPH pass at approximately 4,100 RPM, we still have 2,000 RPM left in the motor ! We blew the head gasket at the 2 mile marker on the 3 mile course.... Yes we are living the dream, however; many thanks to my friends Mike Wilson (Ont), Keith Floyd (Tx), Bob Owens (Tx), Clive Taylor (NZ), Dave Hanson (Speedway Motors), ACE Radiator (Ont), Ken Menyard (Ont), sorry I am probably forgetting a few...

Dubya31 :
    Hey, there is always next year !

38FLATTIE :
    Again sorry I didn't make time to get by your pits. Awsome sounding Caddy !

22. -Sled-

-Sled-

Boil-over box.... very smart. The Reno Air Racer guys do the same thing to the P-51's cooling system

23. Neil if I was to head down your way for a quick visit what would be a good day for you? I have to go to Princess Auto for stuff for my compressor so I would like to do both while I am there.
    Don

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  24. jpm49c

jpm49c

Here is a few i took at Bonneville. John

Attached Files:

• 299.jpg
      299.jpg
      File size:
      514.3 KB
      Views:
    • 304.jpg
      304.jpg
      File size:
      528.7 KB
      Views:
    • 305.jpg
      305.jpg
      File size:
      515.2 KB
      Views:
  25. If the 302 was replaced with a 250 what would happen to the class of the Streamliner?
    Don

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The XO class for Vintage engines will not allow a 250 Chevy or for that matter a slant six. Pre 1959 inline engines and flathead V8s other than Ford/Merc only. A 250 Chevy six would run in the same class with any 260 cubic inch engine without design limitations.

27. Engine architechture is later than 59 thereby bumping it into "E" class against V8s, indycar engines and such. Ironically Jack Kelly's tank has the record in that class at 239.

28. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

taller rear tires?

29. Ok, that is why I asked the question. Wasnt thinking slant six for sure but I do know my way around a 250 chev in vintage stock car trim. Anyway I was just thinking outloud.
    Thanks to all who spoke up.
    Don

30. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

The Jimmy will remain between the frame rails !

I have found many, "One Off", parts which will be in and on the motor for August 2013....

And no, there will not be a 12 port..... I really like the head on my motor which was hogged out, welded, slugs added, ported, polished, etc....