Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Mexicali Merc, another 40 Custom in the works

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sledge, Mar 17, 2012.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Great metal work, very nice!

2. the chop looks REALLY good sledge, and I think it's soo cool your welding it how they did it way back when...... I definitely want to learn how to do that someday.....

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw a green one chopped just like this in the latest issue of Rod and Custom,page 28 ;)

4. Bodger45

Bodger45

5. Sledge I was just wondering if you ever any templates like nascar does to check both sides & front to back? What a great job . You have way more patience than I & at one time I built model airplanes before the kits came out. You bought the plans & balsa & started cuttin & glueing. Can't wait to see this one done.

6. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Yeah I tried to borrow some of those Nascar templates from Cole Trickle but he told me to take a hike!:D Not really sure what those are, but Im sure they would make my life easier. I just use cardboard, masonite, or thin wood for patterns.

7. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Is this what your talking about Bob? I think this might be a little over the top (no pun intended) for what Im doing.:p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  8. Oh c'mon, you could whip those up in an afternoon.

Car's looking GREAT. Really appreciate you taking the time to post all the pics.

9. bigBADwolf

bigBADwolf
    from Batavia,IL

Did you keep the dog?

10. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

This is by far one of my favorite threads on the Hamb. Even more so since I bought a 39 mercury coupe out of PA last week. The way you break down the chop Barney style almost makes it look easy. Keep it up and please keep us posted! I was wondering where are these customs relocating the fuel filler to? I'm assuming the trunk.

11. Antique Automotive

Antique Automotive
    from San Diego

12. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

No the dog stayed in Guadalajara, but his stink is still very much with the car! You ever walk through an old alleyway where a bunch of bums have been living? Kind of smells like that. Seriously considering having the floor sandblasted after I get done with the metal work!

I moved the fuel filler inside the trunk on my car and will probably do the same for this one. Good luck with you 39!

13. sled

sled

Yep,it will be the same..the rear end has to be clean and shaved looking

btw,old skool work at its best....its coming out amazing ,more than pleased buddy

14. daddio211

daddio211

That goes for customs, too! :D

15. 'Mo

'Mo

Bingo!
    Some of the best work custom work ever! Blows my mind that William Lee didn't pay the extra $25 Bertolucci wanted to make his '36 ford top removable.

[​IMG]

Also an outstanding feature of Larry Kramer's (King of the Mercs) OT "Merauder".

[​IMG]

If anyone else in the world could pull it off, it would be Sledge. But I guess it's not to be.

16. sled

sled

Mo'...i consider the Ohanesian the best removable steel top ever done...but not for for the Mexicali one,not this time...i never considered a removable steep top on such cars cause the disanvantage of the weight...i rather have another 40 Merc with a Carson top instead...you need two guys to take the roof off anyway,and im not a an open top guy..i will probably never take it off but i love the looks of the contrasting shape and color of a Hall/Carson top...anyway its a cool idea to have such car with a removable steel top...never envisioned one this way,well tought Mo'...

17. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

My '51 Ford started life with "Mexicali Maroon" paint. Just a thought.

18. Very nice work, Kevan!

I always consider this one of those revealing angles that makes or breaks a chop....

[​IMG]

Obviously, you nailed it. Hope to see it in person one of these days.

19. Just awesome.... great metal work !

20. Kevan, where did you learn to gas weld? Amazing craftsmanship!!

21. jfrolka

jfrolka

Are you using 20 gauge cold rolled sheet steel?

22. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Rusk! your welcome to come up anytime.

Thanks Chris! I worked for an Australian guy named Pete Nash when I was kid and between all the road trips, listening to Hank Williams Sr., and a LOT of drinkin, we actually got some work done occasionally! He taught me almost everything I know and is still a good friend!

18 gauge

23. Is this what your talking about Bob? I think this might be a little over the top (no pun intended) for what Im doing.:p
    Yeah something like that but maybe not so sophisticated. Just wondered as your work is sooo close.

24. 53chevy

53chevy

Great job Kevan!

Kenny

25. The dog?:eek:

26. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

Kevan looking really good ! This one gonna be a real killer

27. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

Years ago Gene Winfield came to South Carolina to put on a two day seminar on chopping the top of a '40 Merc coupe. I attended it and probably the most important thing I learned is that we're only working with sheet metal here, and you can do practically anything with the stuff. You sir, are proving that point. Beautiful work!

28. This is looking so good,great flow and great work.

29. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I just found this thread and can't believe I've missed it til now...I need to start opening both eye's on here!

What an awesome build...love it!!! :cool:

Thanks for the updates...please keep'm coming!!!

30. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Yeah thats what I always tell my friends "Relax! It's only metal. If you fuck it up, just cut it out and start over"