Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. C's Garage (Gary Cochran's Competition Dragster Restoration)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chuy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Pete and Robert, I was thinking last night about the sure-chute unit and I remember that there was a lot of work assembling them – I distinctly remember a bunch of parts coming back from the platers and Doc(?) spending quite a bit of time assembling the units. The theory was pretty simple, the lever released the spring-loaded plunger which pulled the cable in, just like almost all chute releases work. If you were going to replicate this, the outside is pretty easy, and as I remember the “guts” were pretty much an assembly that slid up into the handle made up from several parts. While I’m not 100% sure exactly how it went together, I will draw what I think it looked like, and how I think it was assembled. I still haven’t found the picture from Lions of Ray’s car that pretty clearly showed the (outside) appearance but the “drawer pull” top is certainly unforgettable – hopefully I can draw it so it’s clear how it looked and worked.
    Chuy, did the Mr. C car come with this pretty unique chute release? I’m trying to remember for sure, but I think the internal assembly was held in with one or two stainless steel pop rivets that would surely show on the tube (handle). I also think this unit went through a couple iterations, as they found little things that might make it better. I’ll start on the drawings tonight.

2. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks for drawing that up. When we got the car it really didn't have much by I Sonja e photos of the handle but die to the black and white it's pretty washed out anything you have is appreciated and will help recreate this old race car...

3. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Just a couple pics of some lettering. I'd add more but where I'm at on vacation has crappy cell and Internet reception so this is what you get. Enjoy!!

Attached Files:

4. RTS1

RTS1

Chuy, as a kid I remember seeing and reading about all the hot rods in So Cal. That seemed like the place to be if you loved speed. I, unfortunatelly, live in Northern California and did not get to So California often to see the cars and drags. I bought a '55 Chevy and drove that and raced it locally, but I always dreamed of having a real HOT ROD! I now have another '55 that I have put money into and it is pretty much what I want. Reading your story about this project has given me a lot of inspiration to complete my car. I too like the "old cars". Your thoughtfulness and unselfishness toward this project is amazing and I applaud you and everyone that is associated with it. It is truly an amazing piece of hot rod history. I can't wait to see the finished project and can't wait to see the look on Mr. C's face when he gets the opportunity to sit once again in his "home". There must be a special place for guys like you in heaven and I am very confident that you have secured your place with this build. Good luck and keep up the spirit. You make me proud to drive an old hot rod!

5. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Ok sorry about the type-o's. Fat fingers and spell check on my iPhone screwed that up haha!!

6. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

RTS1...man I do believe that is one of the nicer things anyone has said about us and this build. Thanks for taking the time to read the thread and understand our purpose. I'm up in ukiah CA taking a breather but it's good to know that progress continues on. There's a good hot rodding spirit in CA and spreads pretty far north so Keep that going and keep the progress on the car going as well. Lots of luck and thanks once again for the kind words.
    Robert and Steve

7. Chuy, I haven't had a chance to draw anything yet - my dog got "skunked" then came in the house and rubbed all over everything - we've been cleaning and de-stinking a couple days now. I did look up BAC's old address on Google Earth and by moving the little street view deal around was reminded about the 2nd story apartment where Ray and Marilyn lived - that's the Marilyn reference in the ad. You've probably already done this, but if you go to Draglist.com and search Standoff there is a story about Gary C. referenced with a wheels up photo of the roadster with the injected motor at Lions. Thought I'd pass that along.

8. let's see if this works.

Attached Files:

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

First off, The lettering looks Kick Ass, NMPONTIAC , This might be alittle late but if it happens again with your dog a mixture of Dawn dish soap and hydrogen Peroxide cleans up shunk juice pretty good, a helpful hint from a guy who has had some of the best shunk dogs in the country:(, mine sometimes get sprayed weeky:eek:, Tim Jones

10. This isn't much of a drawing, let's see if it posts. Pete, let me know if it makes sense.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  11. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Ok... I was expecting a hand drawn image but this is pretty cool! Thanks for doing this. It gives me a better idea on how it worked with the Model a Brake lever.
    Robert

12. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

nmpontiac;

A buddy recently showed me a "new product" artical in a '60s magazine on the 'Sure Chute' made by Bellflower Auto. I think you hit it pretty close !
    I also saw an old magazine artical on this car, and in the pictures you can see the 'Sure Chute' lever.

Pete

13. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

That's right fellas... The most interesting man in the world painted and lettered our car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  14. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Ok looking at the body and then noticed the original pics in the background. How kick ass is that slice of history? Wait don't answer cause I already know. Best build ever..EVER!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  15. saychz316

saychz316

absolutely beautiful brother.

if a picture is worth a 1000 words, then these are speaking millions. car is turning out great. you guys have to be the luckiest drag racing fans on the planet right now.

keep on man....

16. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks Kevin
    There's been so many friends made with this car it's ridiculous. So many to thank as well. One large step closer.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

ImageUploadedByTJJ1346286348.022479.jpg
    Had to share it again

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

That paint and lettering is F**king Perfect , Thats gonna be one beautiful car when it's done, Tim Jones

19. Man that thing is looking good,,,,just plain bitchen.

20. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Looking good!!! The paint and lettering look fantastic!

21. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

ImageUploadedByTJJ1346518065.783606.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1346518087.251607.jpg

Time to take her home!!

22. Chuy,,check your PMs please

23. WCD

WCD

It reeks of Irwindale. I can smell the In and Out Burgers, the announcer calling for all push start drivers to suit up.

24. Fs2034

Fs2034

It's Saturday night in the year of 1965. I'm at Long Beach, Gibbs is at San Gabriel and you're at Irwindale, where are the rest of you guys at this time in our nostalgic history? Let us know it's always great going down memory lane, especially when nitro was involved!

25. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Yeah start chiming in...I like that stuff especially since I wasn't alive yet to appreciate it all****

26. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

ImageUploadedByTJJ1348330305.857487.jpg
    Fitting headers

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks Good Robert, I was checking back to see if you guys got the body mounted, Looks like your kicking ass on it , Tim Jones

28. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

It's coming along Tim. I was checking yours out and that thing looks tough with that flattie in it. Keep on trucking along!!******

29. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

ImageUploadedByTJJ1348975681.804348.jpg
    Headers are done thanks to mike leech... These are kick ass. ******

30. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Damn cool. Had to modify....