Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is This really a 36 Chevy Coupe Pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheWookie, Aug 17, 2012.

1. TheWookie

TheWookie
    from Laveen AZ

I recently purchased a 36 chevy coupe. The guy I got from told me that the old man he got from said it was a coupe pickup. No bed or trunk lid came with the car. Ascetically I love the way the car looks now I don't plan on painting or doing any bodywork beyond knocking out the big dents. But if it did start out life as a coupe pickup I think I should put the bed back in. Here is a few pictures of the car. The space for the trunk starts way to low to be a normal 36 from what I can find. Some of you experts please let me know what you think. [/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

2. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm no expert, but I have seen various coupes with a pickup box addition done back in their day. That green one looks cool.

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I think they were conversions during the war due to gas rations...as trucks could get more gas with the rationing...
    Cheers..........

4. do you have any crappier pictures?

'34 Ratrod, SS327, 49ratfink and 6 others like this.

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Christ man, clean it up and paint it, build a real Hot Rod!

Doc.

6. them picture are so crappy I can barely tell what kind of car that is.

49ratfink and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. You don't need to tell.
    The OP has already told .... :D

8. Lild

Lild

When I talk to an old condger at a show once that had a coupe p/u he said they would ad p/u beds to cars for the increase in rations like stated by Hdonlybob.

9. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49ratfink and wood remover like this.
  10. bigdav160

bigdav160

My eyes aren't much better than the pics but I would guess with that tall rear valance that coupe was a pickup version.

11. 24riverview

24riverview

The only info I have is for 1939 but I find it hard to believe it would be much different. You can see in the 39 info that there is a filler panel below the box, probably still kept spare down there. Also any 39 advertisement I've seen stated that the coupe/pickup came with a trunk lid for converting back to a coupe indicating to me that the trunk opening would be the same as regular coupes. Any evidence of welding back there or maybe it had rumble seat that was opened up? Again just going off what 39 info I have, 36 could be different.
    [​IMG]
    A picture of a stocker
    [​IMG]

12. aaggie

aaggie

I don't know about the gas rations being different for trucks but Hudson made the pickup coupes in the '30s before the war. An old relative worked as a traveling salesman for a farm implement company and carried samples in the box and drove all over the Midwest for years.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it came from the factory as a coupe/pickup the fit and finish around the trunk area would most likely reflect that in that the panel below the box would fit the box.

I've seen a lot of the old pickup bed conversions as they must have been popular with locals here during WWII. As others said, you could get extra gas ration stamps and coupons to buy new tires if you had a pickup rather than a car. Most of those rigs were rather hacked up looking as the owners went to the wrecking yard and bought a small pickup bed and then cut the sides of the trunk opening to fit the bed rails.

14. Koderboy

Koderboy
    from Monroe ia

Interesting!! I keep learning more things on the hamb today then ever

15. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

May be worth asking folks at http://vcca.org/forum. There's a bunch of restorers there that would know if coupe pickups had different body #'s stamped on the number plate or if they were the same as a coupe body #. Either way, you've got a cool old Chevy and its worth putting some time & TLC into. Love the body lines on those coupes. If its a coupe pickup and you can score a bed...you'd be looking at a high dollar car I would imagine.

16. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

Barf , get a trunk lid and make a car out of it ,

17. blackanglia

blackanglia

Here is a 54 Chevy with a box that has been sitting for a while. [​IMG]

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. James Curl

James Curl

The old Texas Highway Department used to supply their Maintenance Engineer at the area yards a coupe pick-up which was a factory build. They could carry stuff to the job site if the crew needed something or forgot something.

19. Larry T

Larry T

I can remember seeing some of the "early El Camino" cars that had Burlington (railroad) on the door.

20. I was thinking the same thing. We must be related:eek:

21. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

"In 1936, to fulfill a supposed customer need for a dual-purpose vehicle, the Chevrolet
    Division made a small corporate investment and introduced the Standard Coupe Pick-Up.
    It was billed by Chevrolet as a “Standard passenger car adapted for commercial use” and
    was built by the Fisher Body Company on the platform of the Chevrolet Standard Coupe.
    This car was modified with a fender-mounted spare tire and the rear trunk was replaced
    with a permanently mounted 5-foot long pick-up bed."

22. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

I love your car so much I bought two! Does your have the wood or metal doors? Killer car, funky truck. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

23. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Neat !! :)

24. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I have a Friend that Just finished restoring a 1937 Chevy Coupe / Pickup. He has the documentation that this was a Dealer Installed Accessory Kit.

I forgot my Photobucket P/W but if I remember it, I'll post the pix.

VR&C.

25. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

it was a factory option, the bed slid in and out. GM also sold "trail about" trailers that used gm pickup beds. I have one that I have a Ford bed on.

26. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

27. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Yours has a big old hole in the back if it and if it had a fender mounted spare, I think you would have a winner! It would be nice to find another one so that you can figure out the bed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  28. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Wow blackanglia that car is a right hand drive from Africa.

29. Old Dude

Old Dude

The only Car, pick up I know of, that was
    Factory made was the 1939 ?Chevy Cpe.

I saw it in Brown county. Ohio, as some guy had 3 or 4, '39 Chevys there. As far as I know, that was the first Factory/Cpe./ truck.

I have seen Old modle A Sedans cut down to make a truck bed in back. i have seen several of those too.

Attached Files:

• 926.jpg
      926.jpg
      File size:
      488.3 KB
      Views:
  30. Well how do you explain this then?:confused:

[​IMG]