Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starter/Flex Plate Help...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CL1, Aug 17, 2012.

1. CL1

CL1
    from Toledo, OH

I combed through a pile of starter motors and can't seem to find one that fits. I've got a '68 Chevy 250 inline with a 200r4 behind it. It's got a 168-tooth flex plate that isn't original to the motor or the trans. I grabbed a starter specifically for a '68 250/automatic at NAPA today, but the bolt spacing is wrong. It puts the starter snout in too far toward the crank. (Hits the flex plate.) Some have a staggered bolt pattern, and that isn't what I need. The bolt holes are parallel to the plane of the flex plate.

Do any of you know what I need? I'm new to the world of Chevy stuff. Someone has to know...

2. Two flywheel/flexplates 168 tooth larger od and 153 tooth smaller od.
    Two starter, one matches the 168 and one the 153.
    The 168 and starter is a set. And the 153 and starter is a set

Not familiar with 250 6 block
    If your block has 3 holes for the starter mounting you should be able to use either set but never mix the parts of either set. If it doesn't have 3 holes, you'll have to change flex plate or drill & tap the third hole, or get the 4 hole mini starter.

You have a 168 flywheel and a 153 starter.

A later 350 starter should be a match to the 168 tooth wheel

Be sure to use the OEM knurled starter bolts. Dormans aren't knurled enough.

3. this is correct info and should get you rolling!

4. CL1

CL1
    from Toledo, OH

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

5. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

If your block has only 2 holes straight across you have 2 options..
    1. 153 tooth flexplate
    OR
    2. Use an aftermarket mini starter with 4 holes in the mounting plate ( the inner set of holes is for 168 tooth flexplate )

Dave