Register now to get rid of these ads!

Molested my Widow

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot_Rod_Joe, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Hot_Rod_Joe

Hot_Rod_Joe

Decided to make some changes to my BW clone. Tried to bring it into the 60's with some Milner Specials and some complimenting changes under the hood. I'm happy with the look - something different, and easy to change back if I ever want:

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    AFTER:
    [​IMG]

2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Looks great, but put the orange valve covers back on.

3. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Ditto on the rocker covers, and whilst I'm not a big fan of chrome rims, they definitely outclass the white rims. Car looks good.

4. funk 49

funk 49

Nice looking car. If you are unhappy with the air cleaner I could take that off your hands.

5. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Without the white wheels , it no longer looks like a BW clone. Can't tell but are they 6 lug wheels like the widow had ?

6. Hot_Rod_Joe

Hot_Rod_Joe

The orange valve covers had brackets that support the batwing. So they had to go, although I guess I could have painted up some regular orange ones. I like the Corvette valve covers, obviously, they are an original staggered hole set chrome plated.

I had Stockton make the Milners in 6 lug. That it no longer looks like a BW clone is fine by me, that was part of the point in what I was doing. My thinking is what would somebody have done to one of these cars a few years later. Of course the original cars would have been beat to hell, so this is only a philosophical question.

7. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Excellent car....either way!

8. Looks bitchin'!

9. Come again and knock first this time. :confused: I could just be displaying my own ignorance to the original BW, but what is the major importance of converting a '57 to 6 lug in the first place?

10. pila38

pila38

I REALLY like that car...either way.

11. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

That is freakin' sweet. I am really digging the new iteration.

12. Hot_Rod_Joe

Hot_Rod_Joe

The 57's used in stock car racing, whether black widows or convertibles, etc, all had 6 lug setups. There were many other subtle changes, too, but 6 lug wheels are most recognized by average joes.
    ;)

13. Gator

Gator

The original SEDCO 'Black Widow' race cars had the bigger truck brakes which were 6 lug.

Nice car, but I don't see the point of changing up a 'clone'

Just seems like it's having an identity crisis....

14. Hot_Rod_Joe

Hot_Rod_Joe

I can respect that. It took a long time for me to make up my mind to do it. But being a clone gets boring after awhile and feels restrictive. Hence the molestation. :)

15. I would try some plain vette covers. To me, the plated ones look out of place on that motor.

Like the change in wheels, gives the car a whole new look. Clones seem too restrictive, more like something made for display, instead of use.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  16. I think both changes you made are fuckin awesome!

17. Big Nick

Big Nick

That car is killer either way but I am a fan of the new version!

18. dad-bud

dad-bud

Sorry, but I prefer it just the way it was - the white rims make it look old school Nascar and the batwings look cool too.
    It is your car and you choose which look you like - no probs on that, but just figured I'd throw my $0.02 at ya.
    Cheers.

19. Cool changes. And the best part is; ....... it's all nut 'n bolt stuff that can be changed back in a matter of hours.

Now get some plain steelies for the back, paint 'em black & white, add some pie crusts, .........

20. Blackie

Blackie

It's not like you painted the damn thing or turned it into a 4x4. Pretty easy change if you want the look back.

Sent from a pay phone

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think it is nice to change a car every so often. The new changes on yours look great to me. Looks more "hot roddy" now IMO.

Don

22. Joe, I followed your threads on the Tri-5 forum and have to say that I love this car and think your mods are right on the money.

23. Gromit

Gromit

The Batwing was cool, but the new setup is awesome!

enjoy it!

24. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Agreed! It's your car, keep it interesting for you and keep us guessing!

25. pumpman

pumpman

Being a bystander and looking at the first pics, that is one freaking beauty! I do understand that after a while it may get a little boring to you, so what you did is good from that stand point. Just some bolt on stuff and a little change is good. Nice job, but if it were me I'd probably let it be. Just my .02¢.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly, While it is now just a black and white 57 Chevy with chrome wheels on six lug hubs rather than a true black widow clone it's cool as hell and you didn't do anything that you can't change back in two hours or less.

Those valve covers are just too shiny for the car though. You see the valve covers and then see the engine rather than seeing the whole engine and then dissecting it piece by piece as you look it over.

27. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Sweet either way!

28. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Its cool ether way,but i like the white wheel....

29. Makes sense. I had no idea. :eek:

30. Love the changes! Don't be fooled by the quality of Joe's car. He drives this '57 everywhere!