Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. mothradeath

mothradeath

I contemplated doing early benz lights frenched in Damn near exactly like fiotos merc until I found out how much the sell for. I think the would totally work with the body line and look great actually coming outwards away from the nose. [​IMG]

2. power wagon

power wagon

my faverite,

3. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Attached Files:

4. Fringe

Fringe
    from Sacramento

For sale in SLO CA. A bit rusty, but looks great.
    [​IMG]

5. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

it will make alot more sense when its finished. still have a grille and bumper to do. and a height adjustment :D

6. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

ok guys im hoping someone can help me out. looking for some pictures of crossmembers made to fit a c4 and 302 on a 65.

7. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i know a guy who makes them, no website, but i got a number if you like.

8. greensheads

greensheads

I just brought this home. 52000 miles always stored in a shed. Needs paint, thats about it. I definitely have the Madness!
    [​IMG]

9. dyoung

dyoung
    from Goliad, TX

189530_208099555871790_4831302_n.jpg

197800_208099502538462_6967473_n.jpg

200068_208099615871784_5860761_n.jpg

My 64 Club Wagon

10. Great thread, brings back lots of good memories. Learned to drive in Dad's 63 E Line going to the town dump.

11. Needs Paint? Looks good from here.

12. greensheads

greensheads

The paint is peeling off in several places. It looks like the body wasn't prepared right and the primer didn't stick. It looks fine, but I will go ahead and strip it down and repaint it when I have everthing out to swap in a v8/4spd/9inch :cool:

13. dyoung

dyoung
    from Goliad, TX

14. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

well i can make just about anything but doing it right is the thing. do u know of any pictures i could look at? im trying to get the right idea.

15. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

you eye is not going to pick up on what makes it fit. if you want to make it yourself, more power to you. take a stock crossmember and grind everything off of it except the frame flanges on the ends. prop-up your 302 with trans in place and make some cardboard templates to make up the space to your motor mounts. these should be new. the econoline c4 trans has a special hanger cast into the housing and uses a rubber donut. this should be new as well. my friend has all the templates and welding jigs for all the differnt years and engine combos. in a nutshell, this is how you would go about doing one for yourself. when i added the aod trans to mine, i needed to add a 1/2" thick spacer to get the engine down for floor clearance. the box like spacer that you will fabracate should be made of 3/16" plate, and will need to have access to motor mount center bolt. this will make more sence when you get all the parts lined up and get into it. good luck, kurt.

16. Kurt, do you have any pics of the mounts for the AOD?

17. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i made the mount, but i dont have any pictures of it. i'll try and take one or two tomorrow for you.

18. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

okay, it's not pretty, but here's my aod trans mount i made. this is a van that gets driven every week, so the underside is dirty!

Attached Files:

19. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Nice mount.
    Is the AOD pan the lowest point on the truck? Looks lower than the straight axle?

20. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

it's about the same as the axle. i had installed a trans drain plug when i put in the aod, and bent it over and lost some fluid. so i re-mounted it on the angeled rear face of the pan where it is in the pics.

21. Thanks for the pics.

22. Does anybody tow with their Econoline?
    I know it would have to be light, but...

23. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

ok looks like a pretty simple design. but how well does the floor hold up to the torq of the v8? should i maybe extend mine to the subframe rails and possiably bolt to the corss support instead?

24. greensheads

greensheads

For my v8 conversion I am going to be making some good horsepower, and i am concerned about this as well. My plan is to build a frame that extends from forward of the engine clear back to the rear suspension, and mount the engine and trans to it. possibly even mount the rear springs to the subframe(move the rear springs inward and down to allow for more clearance/ put the axle on top of the spring). This frame will bolt to the existing subframe.
    So basically i would be able to remove the drivetrain from the truck all in one unit if I wanted to.

25. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

thats a 3"x4" angel 5/16" thick with 8-7/16" bolts going through the floor on the low ribs! there's no movement. the old ford mount was as you probably know, was a single 1/2" bolt through a rubber doughnut. you could tie it in to the sides if you want, but i cant see it adding much because the unibody frame is pretty light gauge. you would need to weld tubes through with plates on the ends so you could put bolts through without crushing the frame.( if you can call it that!) the shock mounts can give you an idea of how you might go about doing it. the aod does weigh more that the stocker. kurt.

26. Hogride

Hogride

Hay Guys ! Has eny One put a big block in yet. 460 ford or 454 chev with a little set back & a auto trans

27. olgraybeard

olgraybeard

I pickrd this 63 up a couple of weeks ago engine runs good, needs every thing else, going through it one thing at a time. Rewired ignition added single wire 65 amp alternator out of a Mazda. Needs all hoses /brake lines replaced. Lots of rust throughs to repair. But the big deal for me is I need a manual 3 speed stock transmission (short shaft for van) cheap this one has no 2nd gear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  28. Hellfish

Hellfish

A 351 barely fits between the seats with floor and dog box cutting. A big block would probably have to be set back behind the seats.

1. What engine do you have? The 144/170 trans is very different from the 240. The small 6 trans will only bolt to a small 6 engine, and is fairly weak. The Big 6 trans shares the same bolt pattern with the 300ci 6 and the SBF v8s (289/302/351w) and is fairly stout. Different driveshafts, too.

2. I think the only difference (I think) between the Econo and other Ford 3 speed 6cyl transmissions is that the car/PU versions bolt to a crossmember, and the Econo line versions hang from the floor. You might be able to get a regular trans and swap the mounts.

29. olgraybeard

olgraybeard

I have the 144 cu in a small transmission it has a short tailshaft (about 8-10") the Falcons and Rancheros have a long tailshaft (about 24" long)

30. Hellfish

Hellfish

Shorten your driveshaft. :) swap the guts from one trans to the other? Skip 2nd gear? :) Get it rebuilt?

You should be able to find a junked Econo or one being parted out in your area on CL, ebay, or in an old junkyard