Register now to get rid of these ads!

Funny Spray Bomb Woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike51Merc, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Got a new waterpump delivered today. Perfect weather for spray painting. Prepped it for paint and got out my 1/2 can of Krylon Rust Tough Aluminum Silver. Shook it well and started shooting, but the button stuck and wouldn't stop.

WTF do you do with a spray paint can that won't stop?? I popped the button off and the damn paint was spewing out the stem!!!!

End result? Quite a heavy coat on the waterpump, my hands, my saw horses, the driveway, and the inside of my garbage can. LOL :D

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sounds like a typical day for me.

3. servi53

servi53

bout par here too

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

I've had that happen to me twice. The first time, I drop-kicked the can out into the grass and let it do its thing but only after getting the coated pretty good myself. The second time it happened I just held it out at arm's length, grabbed a long screw, and used it to push the doohickey down a couple times until it seated.
    So think of this incident as your training exercise! Next time you can just calmly depress the doohickey a couple times until it seats. And if it won't seat, drop it into a bucket or trash can.

5. I panic, pack sand bags around it and call EOD.:D

6. When it's good and dry......

Bolt the damn water pump on! After everything else is on you won't notice the crappy paint job.

Now your saw horses and driveway match and you've got a cool garbage can.

Buff & wax your hands and concider getting them pinstriped. You'll have the only pair of 'ol school hands.

7. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

My brother was playing darts in the basement and completely missed the board and punctured a full spray can of red oxide primer. Attempts to do something about it only made things worse.

8. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I'm sorry but this had me in tears...I just wished it was recorded...sorry about your spray paint incident... :D

9. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Lotta paint in one of them little cans isn't there!? We used to shoot them with a BB gun when we were kids....

10. Muttley

Muttley

HAHAHA, that sounds like something you'd see in a Will Ferrell movie.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When my two Sons were kids they thought it was funny to slip a spray can of paint into the garbage that we burned in our backyard trash burner. I would toss the bag in and as I was walking away I would hear this unGodly explosion and see a can about 50 feet in the air. :eek:

I don't know how many times I tanned their little behinds for that one, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Don

12. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Good comparison. My brother. especially when he was younger, was something like the characters I've seen Ferrell play. That being the case, I always though it was a little scary that he ended up being a boiler operator and then a teacher of the trade.:eek:

13. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

When we were kids?? Heck I did that last Sunday. I had a can that quit spraying half way through and, well, meet Mr. .308. Happens both ways too often.

14. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Was shaking a can one day and the ball wouldn't move. Shook it soooo much and still nothing. Got mad and hit it on the side of a metal work table.
    You know what happened after that, Ka-BOOSH!
    Flew across the floor spewing paint.

After I picked it up, ball moved again...

15. Deuces

Deuces

That's funny....:D:D:D

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A spray can of black primer can get everything in a one car garage when you drop a piece of metal on it. The results are still on the work cabinet, tool box and everything else that was in the garage at the time three years later.

17. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I was getting my car ready for Autorama this year and a can of Tuff Stuff expanding foam sealer fell off a shelf, hit the floor and started spraying everywhere. And by everywhere, I mean all over my car that had just been painted (and my jeans and my shoes).

Public Service Announcement: keep that stuff in a cabinet or something

18. Gromit

Gromit

"....Attempts to do something about it only made things worse."

Those indeed are true words.. about most everything infact, not just hemoraging paint cans :)

19. BISHOP

BISHOP

What the hell is going on with your hair.

20. Model T1

Model T1

Been gone on vacation for five weeks without a computer. Yes there is life without one! This is the first HAMB thing I've read since being back. Damned I miss all of these important threads. Made me laugh. And I thought this stuff only happened to me! :D

21. aaggie

aaggie

Back in the 60s when we were newlyweds my wife and I would go down to the town dump and shoot rats for entertainment. She discovered that aerosol cans put on a good show especially Right Guard cans. Good memories.

22. guys at the detail shop tell me this happens on a regular basis and they keep a big garbage bag handy and just throw it inside when the nozzle malfunctions.

23. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

My recent spray bomb experience....Bought the expensive VHT header/exhaust manifold paint to do my rams horns. Got em bead blasted, cleaned them up and sprayed away. Fast forward about 2 months when we fired the newly rebuilt motor to break in the cam. In about 10 minutes probably 1/3 of the paint flaked right off !!!! AARRRGG !!!

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Doing a little spray painting under the hood before the new motor goes in, and closed the hood down onto an almost full spray paint can left sitting on the radiator support. Split the can open, paint everywhere; why ME? Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. Deuces

Deuces

Still have an old can that I don't use anymore.... :D:D:D

26. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Our shop janitor used to cut open the empty rattle cans to get the marbles for his boy, need I say more? He punctured the side of the can with an old beer opener - for a short period of time he was the neatest color black guy you ever saw except for where his glasses were!

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I had the same experience one time, the first time I drove the car in the rain the VHT blew right off of the headers. :eek: But I read the can and found out I didn't follow their instructions to a T and I rushed firing up the car before the paint had cured. So I redid the headers and followed what the can said and the paint was still on there 3 years later.

Don

28. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

You ain't seen nothing until you have a can of penetrating oil hit a live wire inside of your tow truck.

Picture a rocket with 12" flames going round and round the cab...with you in it!

29. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

My mother and I brought our Norwegian Elkhound to a dog club get-together at a forest preserve picnic area; it had an open-sided cabin with a big fireplace at one end. Somebody started a fire in it and didn't bother to clean out the trash in the firebox.

Guess what was in the trash? Yep - one Rustoleum spray can.

Result: Resounding BOOM. Mushroom cloud of ash and trash. And a couple dozen Norwegian Elkhounds slipping their leashes and scattering like furry gray shotgun pellets... Lucky I had a good hold on Loki's leash.

(Nobody hurt and everyone got their dogs back out of the forest, thank goodness.)

30. did the same thing with a can of rubberized undercoat, when I sold the place it was still all over the garage......