Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. easter

easter

Rootie - I was in the Marines and graduated from LSU - so you know I'm not very smart. My concern is not only with the spectators, but the drivers and crews as well. If some dad had been standing behind the fence with his little boy where Paul Dallenbach went off at Pikes Peak, the outcome would have been the worst. I'm sure Paul and his crew feel bad enough about tearing up equipment, but to know he had killed somebody in doing it would be too much to bear. I haven't heard you respond this way on other topics. I know you can see Pikes Peak from your house - and that is very cool. I was up there a couple years ago myself. Has there been some debate about controling the crowds during the Hill Climb? I assume you can drive and park where you like before the event. I'd love to be there at least once to see the Hill Climb, but I guarantee you I'd be on the inside of a turn. Everybody on here respects your opinions and comments. Please don't take anything I've said as a personal attack towards you.

2. Flubyu

Flubyu

A friend once told me on the way up to the top of Pikes Peak dont worry about going over the edge you'll starve to death before you ever hit the bottom! Well said Gary B....

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Re: Pikes Peak

I'm a card carrying member of The Church of the Holy Statistics. If your chances of being harmed by (pick any one) a) standing in a dangerous spot to watch motorsports, b)not wearing a motorcycle helmet, c)no ear, eye, or respiratory protection when building cars, or any number of other stupid acts then I say "go for it, buddy". The gene pool will be thus strengthened by your demise. My racing pal calls it The Conestoga Wagon Theory whence the wagon driver that was dumb enough to try to get his conestoga wagon across the flood-swollen raging river is swept away with his family.

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Well, I just graduated H.S. (barely) and then dinked around until I got my ass drafted, so you know I ain't no real rocket surgeon. :D If some dad brings his kid and stands close enough to where he gets hurt or killed, then he completely failed in his parental responsibilities. So what should be done? more rules? more regulation? more legislation? At what point do we quit "dumming down" our expectations based on the lowest denominator?
    Don't know of any debate about any crowd control but I wont be surprised when those with the "infinate wisdom to decide what is good and acceptable" for the rest of us start one. Haven't been up there in a few years, but the last time you could pretty much park and spectate where you wanted. Which has always kinda been part of the mystic of the deal.

5. gearguy

gearguy

In 2008 I ended up at Pikes Peak with my wife, her mother, and her aunt on the only day of the year it is closed -race day. After considerable whining on my part we didn't just leave but instead took the train to the mountain top. I got 45 minutes to tour the pit area just as the last motorcycles cam up the hill. Next time I hope to take the train to the top first thing in the morning and watch all day.
    Definitely an event to have on your bucket list. I can't quite cross it off my list yet.

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know if it's still done, but they use to let people camp overnight the night before, which was the only time it was allowed. You really haven't experienced a hangover until you've had one 12000 feet up the side of a mountain at 5 A.M. and it's all of about 34 degrees. :D:D

7. easter

easter

Photo taken from the Pikes Peak Hill Climb web site:

[​IMG]

8. barstowpo

barstowpo

jimg12, I don't remember who went over the wall. He tangled with Mel Cornett between 1 and 2. I remember reading in the paper the first stock car went out of the park the next week.

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Guys, I think it's on topic to call your attention to the second part of my column, "Potts' Shots" on Frontstretch tomorrow - Thursday, August 16. I got hit in the pits last Saturday night (not seriously injured, thank the Good Lord) because I disregarded one of the cardinal rules of motorsports - NEVER turn your back on a race car.

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

DANG! Glad to hear your all right John..

It can happen to anyone. Even seasoned veterans.

J Shaw

11. I made it out to the Salt Flats on Tuesday, and the Watson Roadster was by far my favorite car of the day. It really looks nice!

12. racer5c

racer5c

My Osborne Sprinter is taking shape, took it to Cincy Monday and had Dan Shaw and his kid letter it

Attached Files:

13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Lookin good, Roy !

14. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Excellent!

Roy, load #5 up in Nov and head West until you git to Havasu Exit turn S on 95 to Havasu 95 Speedway.
    Billy Shuman, Ray Alcaraz and their West Coast Vintage Racers will be awaiting your West Coast Inaugural
    Nov 8-10, 2012
    some photos from last year
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Havasu Nov 3-5 2011/?start=all
    and Feb 2012
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Havasu Feb 2012/?start=all
    [​IMG]
    carl

15. baldtireman

baldtireman

Which Unser is this?:confused:

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bobby

Attached Files:

• pp 5.jpg
      pp 5.jpg
      File size:
      48.7 KB
      Views:
  17. racer5c

racer5c

Carl find me a gas sponsor and I'm there lol

18. easter

easter

The car is really looking good! I love the shot from the front with all of the pinstriping. Are you getting a helmet done to match the car? Damn, I wouldn't want to get this car dirty.

19. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Check your PM

20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Just saw him last month at Auto Club.

Hasn't changed much in 56 years.
    1956?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Hey! I like those louvers!

22. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Is the 27 car in back of Bobby a Gertler car?

23. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Listed as Keith Andrews in the Joe Hunt Magneto Spl KK2000 Offy.

Keith won with it in 1954.

Keith never returned to Pikes Peak after this July 4, 1956 event (the first PP sanctioned by USAC), he was killed at The Speedway the following May testing Nino Farina's Kurtis.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, that's 'homeboy' Keith Andrews. Went back to Indy in 57 but couldn't find a a full time ride so he signed on as Farina's backup /relief driver. While practicing he tried to knock down the inside fance and was killed. As a result, Farina, a long time F-1/sporty car driver, hung up his helmet and quit the race driving business.

Attached Files:

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Getting cars ready for Penn. If your able to make it, walk up and say hi! If you don't know me or Roy ask any of the "Stooges" standing around.. They'll find us.

Looking forward to it.

Unfortunatly the #49 WILL NOT be making the trip. (#6 rod bearing spun)

But the #23 Hart Jones sprinter and the #14 GRANCOR Spl. will be!

The #14 Grancor Kurtis WON the feature at Williams Grove in July of 1949. It'll be cool to return the Ol' girl to the legendary track.

See ya'll there!

If you look closely at the Right Rear of the #14 car, you'll see my Nephew Gage helping out.. also in the picture is my Dad Dan Shaw who WILL BE WITH us in Penn. and the Shop Cat Adolf.

If you have never had the pleasure of meeting my dad Dan... Make it point too. He's one of a kind!!

J Shaw

Attached Files:

26. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

[​IMG]

I want one of those '56 Chevys for $1495

27. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Looking good, Roy....Joe (Akin's chief stooge and often substitute driver) Sometimes at your convenience pull up 32STUPRES and view my picture album...has many pics of Bill's cars for your viewing pleasure!!:)

28. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Me too!
    What's an "Indian style" start? Single-file? Haven't heard that term before.
    The article also mentions two drivers that aren't familiar to me; "Judd" Larson and Ed "Elision".:)

29. sprintcar4j

sprintcar4j
    from New Jersey

That # 58 car still lives at the Unser Museum. I have a pic of it.

30. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Betcha you were thinking of the #56 instead.

[​IMG]