Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going nuts...picking a paint color!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by markl350, Aug 15, 2012.

1. markl350

markl350

After a long long process of getting my 57 Nomad built it is ready for final blocking and paint. I have spent hours and hours of color chips, shows, new car lots, photoshop etc and still change my mind on a hourly basis. At what point do you finally say f... it and pick the final color and combination. There are just way too many choices out there and on top of that...single color, two tone, three tone, it goes on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!! Picking a wife wasn't this difficult!

2. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

When you cant decide...........pick black. It goes with everything.

3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I went through the same thing, wanted to paint my T-Bird three stage candy red with a silver metalflake top. I've painted single stage, base clear and metalflake but never three stage. Chickened out and painted it 2010 Ford Kona Blue base clear. I like the results better than red, hard to tell until it's done.

4. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

What do you envision the car looking like when done? Do you want it to be stock appearing, mild custom, or full custom? What is your wheel and tire choice? Have you picked out an interior color and type yet?

...and when all else fails...as Kevinsrodshop said above..go with black...as long as your surface and wrinkle free as a baby's bottom.

5. i always liked the original seafoam green

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Final paint color is always the toughest decision when building a car. I never am 100% sure until I walk into the paint store and lay down my money, and even then I second guess myself on the way home.

One thing you can do is look at cars around you as you drive in traffic and go to new car lots to see what some of the new colors out there are. It seems as cars have gotten more boring the makers are looking for ways to make the more sexy and some really great colors have started showing up on dealer's lots.

Finally, there is no one perfect color for any car. The fact is, it would probably look just as good in some other shade, but we have to pick one and be happy with it.

Don

7. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Paint kind of reminds me of a haircut...it can always change if you don't like it...

8. kscarguy

kscarguy

Take a paint chart and a dart, step back and throw it...

Post a picture of the Nomad with the wheels on it.

9. wawuzit

wawuzit
    from tennessee

[​IMG]

Here's my vote.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Go with your first color combo you ever that about or seen that makes you think 57 Nomad.

11. markl350

markl350

Here a couple of pictures...I don't have any with the correct wheels on it. As you can see I have been down this road and did it in white and black. Due to some ugly bodywork I am doing it a second time around and want to try something different. It is going to be a mild custom with the Pontiac trim on a Morrison chassis.

Attached Files:

12. belair

belair

You lost me at Pontiac trim.

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

...and yet you yourself went with "satin" black, after saying all that? ... :rolleyes: You crack me up! :D

Get your wife to help you, and give you some input on the color choice on your Nomad. It can be a daunting decision to make by yourself... :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  14. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

I would say dark metallic forest green, or copper and cream like this:

[​IMG]

15. Picking a wife wasn't this difficult!

Its a bitch just the same.

Narrow it down -
    Stock or custom.
    Stock is easy --
    Custom OK period color scheme or contemporary
    Custom will be dated to a prior period or eventually. Think Easter egg.

Now go to the color wheel.
    Red, yellow,blue or white or black or silver

There you go, that's a start.

You could just paint it silver or some shade of dirt like every other fucking car

16. indianhead74

indianhead74

This is what I've done, Go out into the garage, Crack a cold beer, Sit down in your favorite lawn chair , And quit over think'in it. You know what you like, Don't worry about friends, fads, forums. It's yours, It's only paint, Dad always told me if you could'nt make up your mind, flip a coin. In mid-air you will know which way you would like it to land. Hey dude, I'm tellin ya . A good car guy wife is worth her weight"whatever that may-be" In old Iron. Indy

17. kscarguy

kscarguy

What about the interior colors? You do not want to paint it yellow with a red interior.

18. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

It seems to me that the first color I picked is the one I always wish I had used. NEVER has been the one I used, lol.

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

whatever color you pick, stay away from red. Blah.
    check out this website. Link below
    http://www.57classicchevy.com/body-colors.html
    Check out this Nomad. I have seen it in person and the photo doesn't do it justice. Looks awesome

Attached Files:

20. Torchie

Torchie

I believe it was Ed Roth that said " A Car in primer is like a clean canvas, anything is possible"
    As was stated before. What are your plans for the interior?

21. I am a professional painter by trade, so I know what you mean. You have a high dollar car. The one post is definitely right with the black, but your car better be perfect. My own personal opinion. Think about factory colors. Goes a long way with resale and looks awesome on a hot rod.

" Real hot rods don't have fenders "

22. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Looking at paint chips is helpful, but there are colors that you won't like in the book that would look good on the car. Try to envision the car painted the color of the chip if you can. I know this doesn't resolve your question, but something to be aware of.

23. i saw that episode of "chips" also

as far as the 57 nomad in question they allways look great 2 toned i would pick an original color or somthing close that you like thats not seen much

if it was mine id concider dusty rose/white or iris /silver or white or the seafoam green /dark green roof or.......:D

24. markl350

markl350

I am planning on a light gray interior....my wife talked me out of going with white.

25. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Same thought here. Go with you first choice.

One of my cars was originally blue and I was going to go back with that. Switched to a dark red. Wished I would have gone with a blue. Since then I have just gone with the color that they originally were. A pickup was blue, I picked a blue. Merc was green, I picked a green. I guess it goes to show that I don't have much imagination.

Neal

26. I had a friend back in the day that had a 56 it was Black and Silver. Was very rich looking I also like the Black and Creamy White. They would look good with you grey interior. My 2 cents.

27. Barn-core

Barn-core

This...

Attached Files:

28. Roadsir

Roadsir

Pick an era or theme first (preferably the first below:))

50's/60's custom. My personal favorite and I would do a similar version to the 57 below. Same wheels and color but scallops instead of flames, or same style flames with a different color (maybe candy blue and silver) or maybe scallops and lace.

Resto/mod - 57 traditional color schemes (Poncho included) as well as factory style 2 tones

Mod - Newer car 2 tones metallics pearls, earthtones.

Hot Rod - Non Metallics, Black, Red, Orange, Yellow

[​IMG]

29. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I like your first choice of black and white but I think it would look better with silver in place of the white.