Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any AAA tow driver's here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I'm trying to get a '31 5 window from 29 Palms, CA to Anaheim, CA by AAA. I already have the 1 day trip permit (and 200 mile tow coverage), but AAA says I have to have it towed to a repair shop or else it's not a covered tow. Anyone know what the reality is? Give the driver a $20 to accidentally drop it off at my house, or? Any drivers here that can give me some tips on how to make this happen without me losing my ass on a tow?

2. Bullshit. I get my cars towed home every time they break. I'M A MECHANIC! why would I pay someone else to do it.....You're a mechanic too, right?

3. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Hmmm. They have done this for me a lot of times over the years- never had anything towed anywhere BUT my house- just tell them the address and say it is a shop. The drivers are always cool, it may just be a matter of getting past the dispatcher.

4. Muttley

Muttley

I drove for a AAA affiliated company from '97-'04, unless they have changed their policy (and they havent that I'm aware of) the person you talked to is either an idiot or lying. I would have killed for a call like that. The driver makes big money on out of town stuff (easy call) and doesnt have to worry about all the potentially crappy ones that come in the whole time he's gone.

5. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

your welcome to have it dropped at my shop in Anaheim as long as you are there to receive it . PM me

6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Kinda figured it was bullshit, but 3 different departments (member services, roadside assistance and DMV) all said it has to go to a repair shop or it's a commercial tow and not covered.
    So drivers LIKE a long tow like that?

7. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

The "REPAIR SHOP" is the place of YOUR Choosing, not theirs.

8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I think this is what I'll wind up doing. If I have to "help the driver out" a little, no big deal, it just has to happen without a hitch on a certain day at a certain time.

9. Did you ask to talk to a supervisor and explain you would be doing the repairs yourself?

10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

It's worth the hassle. Been in the desert for decades and absolutely no rust.

Attached Files:

• m1.jpg
      m1.jpg
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
    • m2.jpg
      m2.jpg
      File size:
      74 KB
      Views:
  11. Fenders

Fenders

I don't have AAA but I do have a road service -- and they say in the paperwork that the tow is to the nearest garage that can service it...

But I have never had a problem telling the tow driver which garage to take my OT truck to...
    as we drive by several other closer repair shops.

And anyway I'm sure the nearest garage that could properly service your antique is at your house !!

12. Muttley

Muttley

Unless they are idiots, yes. Long distance stuff pays good and is guaranteed money. Most drivers work on commission so they get paid per call and are also paid milage. One hook/long haul is easy money vs running around town doing short tows & changing tires. Sometimes there arent enough calls to keep all the drivers busy in the first place and if you dont break down they dont get paid.

13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I had my Buick towed from Portland to my house in Tacoma, WA by AAA in February. That's about 180 miles, and the dispatcher had absolutely no problem with it going to my place. Maybe you just need the right dispatcher?

14. TexasDart

TexasDart

I thought AAA was for 'emergency' towing..ie...broke down on the highway.. Not for just towing a car that you just bought and want it at your house. Never thought to use it for that. Maybe that's the real issue. But you would think they would tell you up front they are not your flatbed service for hauling your projects home.

15. Just get 'em to go after it and tell the driver where it is going when he gets there.

16. Crankhole

Crankhole

This was the reason that I got when trying to tow home a recently bought project. I even asked if this type of tow was covered at the AAA office before making the purchase, since the car was not in the system. They said "yes", I paid for the car, called AAA to be towed, then...DENIED!

17. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The how's and why's shouldn't really matter. I have a towing mileage limit per year (I've never used it in 7 years), so it's not like I can abuse it. AAA has gotten their money, DMV has gotten their money, so now that I've padded everyone's pockets, I need it home. Shouldn't be a big deal.

18. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Tell them your car broke down at a friends & taking it home to your shop, your mechanic. Go register it now at AAA before anything then no questions.

19. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Who denied it.... the driver, the dispatcher, or?

20. I used to tow for AAA. Their tow service is for emergency road service. That means a driving car that broke down. NOT a project car! And not accidents, that is what insurance is for.
    At the time I drove the rates paid to the shop were not that great. The sales generated by the call helped to make it profitable.
    Read your policy. I am sure this type of tow is not covered,and by pulling a fast one on them is what helps drive up the costs of a membership.

~Alden

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

last Fall had the Wife's '50 Chevy PU break down, tire failed and no spare - early evening. driver said that because of abuse to the system by guys that have show cars and projects hauled from residence to residence, or residence to car event AAA no longer is so flexible. the driver said he would make the drop to my house because I broke down on the Freeway and no local shops open. otherwise would have to gone to a shop. we do have the 200 mile tow service.
    so, if you need something hauled and do not have a trailer hire one of the shippers/transport guys here. or get a local guy that hauls vehicles through craigslist ads, etc

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  22. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I told AAA that it was unregistered and un-driveable and their deal was as long it it goes to a shop (not a house) it's a covered tow.

23. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Read post #5 in this thread. Problem solved.

24. I just looked at the AAA site and it appears that they do now cover towing from an accident. But the type of tow you want is not covered.The following is off of their website;

"Service is intended to provide emergency assistance to enable a vehicle to operate under its own power or to transport it to a place of repair or safekeeping. It is not intended as a solution for a pre-existing condition or a substitute for proper maintenance."

~Alden

25. Never in a million years would I have thought about using AAA to haul my project.
    Let me know how that works for you. I need one hauled out of yuma AZ to Ohio.

26. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

It also says:
    "When a vehicle cannot be started or safely driven due to a breakdown, accident, or other covered vehicle disablement, the independent service provider can tow the vehicle back to its facility, no matter how far away, at no charge to the member".
    It's not like I am a habitual abuser. As I said, I have never used a tow benefit in over 7 years.
    I do find this odd though. "It is not intended as a solution for a pre-existing condition or a substitute for proper maintenance." I understand that you can't have them tow you everywhere if you're starter is bad or battery is crap and you figured it's cheaper for you to have them tow you around. I don't know how a tow is a "substitute for proper maintenance" or how they would even determine that.

27. Crankhole

Crankhole

The dispatcher. I called back an hour later to try again and they asked, "Is this the '60 Falcon you just called about?".

28. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

That might exceed your 200 mile limit.....

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think the problem is that AAA is designed to tow you IF YOU ARE DRIVING YOUR CAR AND IT BREAKS DOWN, not to tow a non running car to get it home for you. For that you need to pay a regular tow truck to do it for you.

I just called AAA and asked them where they would take my car if I break down, and they said to a shop, to my home, or to a friends home. The only place they won't take it is to a parking lot, like a Walmart lot, where it might be towed for being illegally placed there.

You are trying to use AAA for something they are not in business for. It would be nice if they would pick up our non running purchases and take them to our homes, but it just doesn't work that way.

Don

30. I wonder if there is something funny in the water out there.