Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

1977 Hamburg NY USAC star Tom Bigelow! enjoy!

[​IMG]

2. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

and 34 years later at Salem with Mac Miller and The Doc on each side- in case he starts to fall over :p
    photo by Randall Cook
    [​IMG]

3. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

HA! I worked for Sherman during those years and put in a lot of hours on that car. That was the original Armstrong sprint car. It was driven at various times by Rich Vogler, Bigelow, Greg Leffler, Chuck Gurney, Chris Cumberworth
    and at the end of 1979, the car was destroyed in a turn 4 crash at Winchester, critically injuring Butch Wilkerson.

4. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Mac. The salt car looks awesome! One of these days I'm going to build one those.

Is the nose on that one shaped a little different or maybe it is leaned forward a little? Looks a little more aero than normal.

5. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Good eye, Neil, Yes, several changes have made to the nose. I am very paranoid about nose lift.:eek: The bottom surface of the Watson nose curves upward at the front, allowing air to pack up, lifting the nose. On this car I tilted the nose down as far as i could to keep the bottom surface as parallel to the ground as possible...... I'm still paranoid about it.....

mac miller in INDY

6. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

7. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Many of the photos of the roadsters, on the straightaway, at Indy show them running "nose up". Bob Harkey and Parnelli told me that they tapped the brake going into turn 1 and 3 to settle the nose back down to the track before "turning in".
    Another amazing dynamic about these cars was the difference in weight and weight distribution between a full fuel load and empty. the cars carried about 70 gallons of fuel(approx 450 lb), cantilevered behind the rear axle.
    Can you imagine the handling changes during a fuel run????:eek:

mac miller in INDY

8. baldtireman

baldtireman

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Probably not much interest but I'm always curious as to how the old Indy cars lived out their days. Came across this on the IdeeHo vintage site and thought I'd pass it along. I don't see where Russo drove the Bardahl car in 61 as the article states but he did in 59/60 so I suspect its just a typo. I gotta believe keeping 6 strombergs dialed in must have been ...well "challenging" :D

Attached Files:

• pr1.jpg
      pr1.jpg
      File size:
      352.5 KB
      Views:
    • pr2.jpg
      pr2.jpg
      File size:
      66.7 KB
      Views:
    • pr3.JPG
      pr3.JPG
      File size:
      98.1 KB
      Views:
    • pr.jpg
      pr.jpg
      File size:
      88.8 KB
      Views:
  10. easter

easter

If you enlarge this photo, check out how far down the windscreen goes. Any farther and it would melt on the exhaust.

[​IMG]

11. ^^^^one of the most beautiful roadsters ever built.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Shhhh, that's a speed secret. Works like a spinnaker sail. :D:rolleyes:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Another pic, from the Idaho site, of the ex-Bardahl car dressed in its supermod clothes and sporting some serious rf meat and a industrial strength exhaust. Appears to have a muffler too, didn't see that much 'back in the day'

Attached Files:

• pr 3.jpg
      pr 3.jpg
      File size:
      49.1 KB
      Views:
  14. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Here are two more photos of the Gerhardt Indy roadster as a supermodified driven and owned by Mel Andrus. In the second photo Mel in the 22 and the Pink Lady on the out side is out in my shop!

Attached Files:

15. easter

easter

Sent this link to some friends and since all of you are my friends too, I thought I'd better put this on here. The Pikes Peak Hill Climb wasn't without incident again this year. Go to this link and scroll down for the two videos. The first is only 6 seconds long - but will leave a huge impact (just like it did on this guy!). The second is longer and even more dramatic. Only minor injuries (whatever the hell that means) so it's ok to watch. Turn up the volume: http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...peak-climb-amid-heart-stopping-130045334.html

16. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I read on Indiana Open Wheel that Josh Shaw won a feature at Lawrenceburg in the Hudson Hornet?????

17. KKx125

KKx125

Josh,E Bay 251128243606 &251128236881 May interest you , Speedie.

18. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

I think Speedie meant 251128243603; ...606 sends you to a shoe site in Germany.
    Unless Speedie is privvy to a fetish Josh has that the rest of us don't know about...:eek:

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Years back, a popular "story" around the hillclimb crowd was when Slim Roberts ran the Conze Sprint/midget off the road back in 62. Though he got a little discombobulated there didn't appear to be anything life threatening. Anyways, they haul him off to the hospital and they fix him up and cut him loose. For some reason or another they missed seeing on the x-rays, before he left, he actually had a broken neck. By then he was long gone and nobody knew where he went. So they send people out to find him and eventually he turns up at the nearest bar knocking back some liquid "Dr.feel good." Probably more myth than fact I suspect.

Attached Files:

• cs-1.jpg
      cs-1.jpg
      File size:
      138.8 KB
      Views:
  20. opfredet

opfredet
    from usa

Shark Cars is a playful idea dovetailing the Discovery Channel's Shark Week (Aug., 12 - 19th) and we're celebrating sixty years of car protruding performance of American design of the fifties:

http://www.carofthecentury.com/shark_cars.htm

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Not only are the drivers a little nuts, but the stupid spectators are just plain fools. There is plenty of high ground that is safer to watch from. There's nothing soft on a car going into the crowd, and the run-off at Pike's Peak is made up entirely of large rocks. Evidently common sense also gets rarer and rarer as the altitude thins. Gary

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Gotta disagree, common sense would tell you never leave your house, hell, you might trip and break your neck going out to the mail box. PP is one of the few bastions left that hasn't, yet, been totally fucked up by our 'Big Brother' nanny state we're forced to live in nowdays that dictates how we need to live our lives (we, of course, are waaay to stupid to know whats good for us) . Nobody is twisting anybodys arm to either race or spectate. "Ya pays yer money-ya takes yer chances"!

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Like Smokey said, Rootie, "If you wanna be safe, stay in the garage. But you could drop a hammer on your foot back there."

24. easter

easter

Yep, common sense ain't that common anymore. But, standing on the outside of a turn watching them come down the straight directly at you has always been stupid.

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I'm sure I'm among a small minority nowdays, but I still believe we have the God given right to be just as stupid as we choose to be, as long as we aren't hurting anyone else. Just saying. :D

Attached Files:

• pp 4.jpg
      pp 4.jpg
      File size:
      52.6 KB
      Views:
  26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Rootie, I'm only worried about the spectators. The driver's know what the risks are, or are good at rationalizing themselves into the it's all in fun zone. You won't catch me standing at the barrier next to the speed traps when Force goes by, either. Gary

27. Dick L

Dick L

I'm with you Rootie.

28. barstowpo

barstowpo

Wow. This thread has sucked up all of my spare time for the past two weeks. I have read every page like a thriller that just captures you. Thank you one and all for your contributions. I have been a fan all my life. My first race was a sprint car race at IRP. I think it was the first time a car left the track for the parking lot there. Also it was Merle's first race back after losing his arm. Keep it coming.

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

And speaking of Merle B. ....I think he may have hit the coffee pot a little hard that morning :D:

Attached Files:

30. jimg12

jimg12

barstowpo,
    Was that Charlie Masters that got put out of the park between 1 and 2 driving the Jones orange #33? If so there is a cute story that goes with it. Charlie had not been married very long. When they got him out of the car and was headed back to the pits the guy with him said his wife was yelling for him. Charlie told him to act like they did not hear her because he was going to catch hell. He had told her driving race cars was safe. He did not drive to much longer and is still married.