Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paintjob went wrong - Need advice - Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ctfortner, Jun 19, 2012.

1. n847

n847

Hey man I hope it works out for you! I would do the same thing if I were you! What else are you gonna do? Either you strip it and do it your self, or take it somewhere and get it done again! Either way you can try that after you give him a shot to make it right for free!

2. Fenders

Fenders

I though building hot rods was about doing it yourself.

3. great to hear your getting it worked thru, and giving him a chance to make it right , might add in to the contract/ agreement if you arnt happy with it and a non partial 3rd party agrees ..... hell pay another shop of your choice to re-do it to your satisfaction .....

4. voodoo1

voodoo1

Man what a thread! One good thing is this guy is owning up to the mistakes. He could fix everything and repaint, blend the car and have it come out great. If, he goes back over the Entire Car with the base color after the areas are fixed, it'll look good. Again, make sure he does put a couple coats of base color over the whole car. Make sure the head light rings get done also. Good luck. Mike

5. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

not everyone has the skill to do it all yourself. I can turn a wrench and do some basic maintenance, but fabricating, paintwork and interior work? no way. I know my limits and would rather pay the professionals to get it right.

6. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

I just disregard those BS comments. To each his own. I want to do it myself, and I do most things myself, but dont have the time right now with 3 small kids playing sports and everything else. I built the rest, just not the body and paint. Its like saying to them "are you really a homeowner"? You didnt build your house yourself and thats what "homeowning" is all about right?

7. 65Coupe

65Coupe

With a statement like that, I hope you live up to your own standards. And by that I mean, you better do all of your machine work including balancing, crankshaft grinding, valve jobs, line boring, surfacing etc. :rolleyes:

8. FatChrist Magic

FatChrist Magic

Any update on this one?

9. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

The car is at the shop and has been there a week now. I talked to him yesterday and he had the paint company come out and scan the color to be sure its 100% match, and the glass company has removed the front/rear windshields. He is supposed to start stripping the roof and fixing issues today or Monday supposedly. He told me he was picking the paint and clear up today.

His plan is to strip the roof, fix issues, prime, seam seal and let dry 48 hours, then paint the roof again and clear it. Then he says he will fix the car issues and scuff all the clear and reclear the whole car. So no great updates yet but fingers crossed this works out.

10. I hope this works out for you. This fucker's put you through Hell for months, the very least he can do is try to make it right!!!!!!! I've got my fingers crossed for you.

11. Well it's been a month, any progress or is it the same as last time?

12. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

There was about 5 weeks were not $hit was getting done. I had a few words and gave him two weeks to get it done or I was bringing it home either way. He got most of the work patched up and I went and saw that. He sent me pictures of it last week showing it was all repainted and cleared. I havent seen that in person yet. Supposedly having glass re installed and buffing the car and wants me to pickup Friday (2 days from now). Shall see.

13. WOW! Hard to believe after all that he let it sit for 5 weeks without working on it. This dude is a joke.

14. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Yep...not optomistic, at all! Bad thing is after all this I am just completely unmotivated about the car right now. I was all into it, working on it every day for 2 years...now its been gone for 2 years and I just dont care anymore, other than getting it home safely. Over a year ago I paid over $1200 having my bumpers and other chrome all triple plated...over a year and they still havent seen the car..sitting in my shop getting dusty

15. mjlangley

mjlangley
    from SE MI

I've got my fingers crossed for you...

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

C'mon man! You'll get it back home where it belongs, and you'll start feelin' it again. You just need to be alone with it for a few days. It's gonna be just tits! ;) Take a few deep breaths. Focus.

17. big creep

big creep

shit ive had mine sitting for about 6 or 7 or 8 years! and you know what? i just keep chipping away. i dont care how long it takes, its a labor of love.

18. Tacson

Tacson

X2. Me and you are in the same boat.

19. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

I really hope that this story ends on a happy note for your sake.

I really like the color combo and hopefully the repair job is somewhat acceptable so you can put the rest together and take your family out in it and enjoy your hot rod! :cool:

20. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Wish me luck, or maybe him luck, I am leaving now to go get the car...again. Said its done, looks great, matches perfect, etc...Will see. Bringing it home regardless if I am happy or not.

21. I hope it goes well!!

22. shadams

shadams

Holy crap, I have butterflies. Dont know if I posted in here but I have been following the thread. Good luck...

23. ChefMike

ChefMike

it sucks that your going through all of this, however it sounds like you have a air tight case on getting a full refund plus your lawyers exspense ! you did a great job with the photos and getting things in writing. Trust me Im taking notes we all work to dam hard for our money ! the job should have been done right . Good luck

24. Got my fingers crossed for you

25. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

its like waiting for Christmas morning. Let us know how it went. Need pics

26. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

The suspense is killing me, followed this one for some time now. Any update?

27. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

I finally got her home and unloaded. Its dark so I cant get any pictures until tomorrow that will be worth a flip.

Initial impression so far is I am pretty pleased all things considered. Its not perfect for sure. The glass was removed and reinstalled correctly and fits nicely now. The top was stripped, seam sealed and painted the correct milkshake color and looks MUCH better than that white looked.

The unpainted parts were painted and in the sun I couldnt tell any color difference they match very well. The major paint issues were fixed and repainted and appear so far to match very well. They could however have spent some time doing some bodywork to them, they have flaws in them, obviously just sanded and painted and thats it.

The hood repair where it was cracked looks awesome and the paint matches perfect from every angle I looked at.

Passenger door doesnt rub and body line is much better there and all that paint repair looks good. Since the windshield and stainless was installed correctly this time the door isnt rubbing the stainless trim now.

Oh yeah, and all the dam tape and glue is gone from the windshields like it shoulda been :)

There are little things here and there, but they are things I would have let go the first time for what I paid for the job. I wasnt expecting perfection. Some noticable things are those dam white pinholes are still there, they didnt touch that area. I pointed it out and he kinda BS'ed around it and said its just some buffing compound in there and it will go away when I wash it and be unnoticeable. Right. There are 2 or 3 (so far) decent chips out of the paint that got overlooked, but I think I can make them presentable.

I havent fine toothed it yet, but at this point I think the major issues I had problems with are good enough for me to have a nice looking car to drive around and turn some heads, which is what I wanted. I can see unbuffed spots but that is something I can do.

I have to give the guy some credit, considering the amount of work that had to be done, the labor cost, material cost and 2 pints of PPG deltron paint at $90/pint (2 different colors) he used to fix everything and blend it. Again I could nitpick at it all night but I had expectations going in and we are much much closer to them now and unless I find major things tomorrow I will likely finish putting it together and drive like I stole it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  28. Glad to hear the good report, ct. Hope you get your car done this winter and can move on and enjoy it.:cool:

29. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Thanks. I will have to since I couldnt talk you into coming and doing it :D I was even gonna take you deer hunting to.

30. Two days and no pics yet:confused: I hope you didn't kill the guy and get locked up.:) Let's see some pics, I'm dying here, gotta know one way or the other!!:cool: