Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I add white walls to a modern drag slick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LWT, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Can I add white walls to a modern drag slick without it looking like total crap? I'd love to use piecrust W.W. slicks but hear they don't hook. They will go on a 1959 Caddy with skirts so they will be fairly hidden. I'm shooting for well over 600ft.lbs.of torque and running wide whites & stock hub caps on the front.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...20tire%20paint

2. Sorry, Lost interest after 59 caddy with Skirts and Slicks ,,,,,, :eek:

3. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

I have a couple of other cars that might be of more interest to you. As for me I think a stock looking '59 with a full interior that runs way quicker than it should is pretty damned fun....

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

I don't think that a '59 Caddy is going to look very stock to anyone, with slicks on it.... :cool:

5. Muttley

Muttley

Sounds like the makings of an OldSkooooolRodzzzzzzzz cover car.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Yeah....Kustoms Kant have slicks......Oh wait.....

Attached Files:

7. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

ahh... the question remains... As a side note. stock interior, shiny paint, no beer cans or other dumb shit glued to the hood. STOCK looking 1959 Coupe DeVille. Would you really pay that much attention to what tire is under the skirt on a wheel wearing a hubcap? 540 Cadillac with a paxton / blow thru carb set up under a stock hood.

8. fms427

fms427

To answer your question with out subjective opinion.........:D I would call Diamondback Tires - they vulcanize a whitewall to modern radials - could probably do it to a slick on a special order basis.

9. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Or we can go at this another way. I'll shred the Cadillac & buy a '32 with a small block chevy. Now, on the '32, can I add white walls to a modern drag slick without it looking like total crap?:D

10. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Thanks fms427

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

To answer your question.... I'd give the guys at Hurst Tires a call. :)

They can recap tires so I believe they will be able to answer your question best. They can probably even make the tires for you!

12. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I don't get it, why would you ever want to be different?.....

13. jdubbya

jdubbya

I remember seeing an episode of Pass Time, and there was a 49-50 Merc drag car on there that had white walls, the owner said that he spray painted them on... might be an option if there are none available that you can use.

BTW- I think it sounds like a cool idea, if done right.

14. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Thanks guys.

15. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

The White Tire Paint from Iceland is the one to get (Blue can, white lettering). It's also the cheapest alternative.
    Although I'm not sure how well it will hold up on a soft slick, it does hold up good on a regular new-style street tires. After a number of burnouts the paint might yellow a bit.

I've had a set of whitewall & piecrusted Hurst Racing Tires on my 500ci longrammed '60 Chrysler NewYorker, but haven't put them to the test yet.

[​IMG]

Instead I'm running a pair of wider L60-15 MT tires with I-profile currently, which fill up the wheelwell way better. I'm thinking of painting white walls on these, along with a better matching front tire of course.

[​IMG]

16. HickTick

HickTick

The old Iron Horse pro mod had white walls .

I think it was Johnny Rocca or some thing close, you might google it .

17. Why not ! What have you got to loose?
    Maybe you'll get laughed at, maybe flamed, maybe not pass tech. Who cares.
    Maybe you'll start a new trend.

Anyway modern drag slicks shouldn't be on the street, so while your staging it will look cool, on the trailer too.

18. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Thanks for the ideas!

19. derelict

derelict

Don't do that...please

20. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Yeah... I'm still gonna. I can't get over some of the responses to a set of tires. Not tubbed. Not jacked up with air shocks. not Billet wheels. Tires... 97% of you nay sayers wouldn't even notice.... Until you get your feelings hurt by a big ol' Cadillac. I've seen a lot of automotive choices that I don't consider to be in the best of taste, the difference is I respect others & understand that I have not been crowned king shit know it all in the matters of all the cars and their owners on the planet earth, and you haven't either.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  21. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Give white wall candy store a call they might be able to help.

http://www.whitewallcandystore.com/default.html

Good luck. I think it would be cool. If you remember, send me a picture so I can put in my screen saver file on the computer at work. Sometimes we have customers sit there for hours looking at all the pictures.

Remember, it's your money, do what the hell you want with it.

22. I respect others & understand that I have not been crowned king shit know it all in the matters of all the cars and their owners on the planet earth, and you haven't either.

Wow, that's not very nice or respectful.
    You asked for it - " can I .... without it looking like crap?" & You got opinions. I think you wanted cheerleaders or long for approval. Sometimes its good to bounce an idea off of those who's opinions you respect.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  23. If you don't mind grooved slicks run Firestones. Piecrust, white walls and they are not recaps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  24. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

Don't know about the white walls but the car sounds pretty cool to me.

25. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

I remember seeing Johnny Rocca's pro mod Merc at Norwalk probably in the late 90's. My dad asked him what he used to paint the whitewalls with, I'm pretty sure he said he used latex paint but i cant remember for sure. Definitely one of my all time favorite race cars..

Attached Files:

26. oj

oj

Whitewall piecrust are made from same materials as regular piecrust, they take longer to get. I used them on 'old bones' and they took 8mos or so to get them.

27. let's see this Caddy.

28. Gromit

Gromit

Just wondering... Street or strip? I can't imagine EVER wanting to run slicks on the street, but I do live in a rainforest..

Good luck.

29. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

31 Vicky- I see what you mean. When I asked the question, I meant could I make the tires themselves not look like crap, but I now see it looks like I was asking for an overall opinion and than complaining. My Bad.

283john-
    I've got almost all of my parts for the build, but, I'm doing a frame off so it's in about a million pieces. All the rust is repaired in the rockers and floor and I'm getting ready to take the rest of it down to bare metal. I'll try to get some new pics at some point. I have a couple of not so great pics of in in my album.

You can barely see it, but it's next too my "Altered". That's about the best I can do from my wife's laptop.

Attached Files:

30. I was kind of thinking the same hing, a 2 ton boat with slicks. :rolleyes:

But back to the question you can send them to diamond back or at least call them and see, I'll just about bet that tyhey can vulcanize some whitewalls on them with the same process as with other tires. It may ruin your wrinkle wall effect though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.