Register now to get rid of these ads!

DVD - History of Drag Racing in MN - Looking for...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63CadGuy, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

Anything new with this project. I would love to see more info and pictures.

2. Maybe try talking with the custom bike builder Donnie Smith or his brother Happy. They use to drag race in the 60's and 70's, and had one of the first funny cars in Minnesota. They used to run Smith Bros. and Fetrow race shop with Bob Fetrow, at 34th and Lyndale in south Minneapolis, before they went to building choppers. I think Tom Summers (Lowriders by Summers) is currently renting their old shop from Happy... and Donnie Smith has the shop up in Blaine.

3. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure what your budget is - but here's a link to an online production music source I've used: http://www.cssmusic.com/

Search the music by instrument, music style, tempo... just about any parameter you want. You can listen to short samples, and download individual music tracks in a variety of lengths and formats. I think the prices are pretty reasonable.

Kool project!

4. Thanks for the pics Eracer! Also the other info that everyone has supplied. I haven't checked in for awhile as I've had a few other projects taking up my time. My latest update on the project is I will be meeting with Doc Halladay this week for an interview. I went to the drag racers dinner that Jerry Finn puts on every year and talked to Tom Hoover about an interview and he said OK and will be setting that up soon. I also talked with a few others there too. Talked with Mike McGinnley this weekend at the GSTA show and will be sitting down with his dad Bob in the very near future, he owns Mr. Tune-up in south Minneapolis and has been a part of the scene since the very early days. I have verbals from a few others about sit downs and have been chasing leads on footage and pictures. John Foster Jr. has 8mm film and pictures that he is going to sort through as well as a few others. What I'm really missing right now are pics and footage from Minnesota Dragways from the mid 60's through the early 70's, also Twin Cities footage and pics from the 60's. If anyone has any leads that would be great. This project is turning into a huge project and it's going to take me longer then expected to get this done as I want it to be right. I'm still hoping this will be done by the fall, but we'll see as I also have a few car projects and other things I have to split my time with, but after I sit down with Doc this week I'm going to try and move forward and not let the project stall. Please let me know if there is anything and anyone you know of that might be able to help out.

5. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

If this actually comes to be produced, I would be interested in possibly purchasing some to sell on our website. Our office of 3 at work has all raced there, as we all live in the area. Keep us updated?

6. No problem. I'm getting ready to start interviewing real soon, just have to finish up a video project in the next week here and then It's full bore ahead.

Yeah that site has some great info, I've talked to Ron and he said he will contribute to the project.

7. Dragsterdriver

Dragsterdriver
    from minnesota

Just wondering on the progress - would be real interested to see when finished.
    Will check with a guy I know used to run a yellow 442 early 70's see if he has
    anything for you.

8. rosswo

rosswo
    from minnesota

see post #94. i hope you got to get your interview with bob McGinnley, unfortunately he passed away last night 5-26. RIP BOB.

9. Just thought I'd bump this for an update. Things just gat going again on this project. John Foster(who ran MN Dragways) son John Foster Jr. has been a tremendous help with this project. He has donated over 110 slides and I'm guessing over 1000 pics as well as 16mm and 8mm footage from the early 60's and a whole album of the MN Dragways Newsletters to the project. All I can say is there are some amazing pics in this collection. I'm in the middle of scanning everything and then I'll be organizing all of the info I have. I hope that this project gets rolling big time over the winter. My biggest hang-up right now is copyright free music and some more pics from the last 3 or 4 years the track was open, say 1972 to 1976.

Anyway, here are a few teaser pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just check out the faces of the people!

[​IMG]

If anyone has anything they think might help in this project, just drop me a PM

10. i bought a fed frame this past spring that was run up at min drag ways last in 69 and i still have that other stuff some where ?some is near the surface others ?? on the property some where .. i thought i may have been in that crowd pic but am not:rolleyes:

11. rickl

rickl

Not sure how to help but my Surf Instrumental band might be able to help out. My guitarist can do the Dick Dale riffs all day long. If you find the music we can surf it up for the movie.

12. That would be cool, when I get to that point I'll get in touch with you, thanks!

13. Qhorse

Qhorse
    from Anoka

Hello.. I have about 10 min. of 1967 at mn dragways on dvd ..the rest got destroyed!

I have (what I went out for that day with my 8mm) Tony Patchens 1967 Dodge Hemi from river motors making a few runs .also have Arlen Ness Camero making a few runs the first funny cars "the flying dutchman " and "Ernie Beswicks {the farmer}gto" Goodsell and Farwicks 55 chev ..Nortice and Nords ford Anglia a jeep called "the overland express" and a few bikes if your interested.Email or call would be glad to contribute it.My best freind in those days was Marshall Crouch ..he was dating Sheryl Foster at the time ..only met John and his wife at there house a few times .they wouldnt remember...they would remember Marshall though! ..Would love to get ahold of Sheryl if you have any way (shes in Texas I think?)

Neal N.

14. Qhorse

Qhorse
    from Anoka

Hello I posted this somewhere else on here a minute ago ..dont know where it went.. Any how ..I have about 10 mins os 8mm transfered to a dvd (the rest got ruined) 1967 mn dragways...Ernie the farmer Beswicks funny car and the flying dutchman funny car (I think they were the first ones at mn. Also hva a few runs by my friend Tony Patchens Dodge hemi and Arlen Ness Camero ...Goodsell and Farwicks 55 chev ..Nortice and Nords Ford Anglia...A jeep called "the overland express and a few bikes.. My best friend in those days was Marshall Crouch .. he was dating Sheryl Foster up till then and we were always in the pits...Would love to get in touch with Sheryl again I think shes in Texas ...Wil donate if it helps..I used to live right behind the traps end off Bunker lake road..

Neal N.

15. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Looking for shots of my 69 SC/Rambler running there.

16. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Any updates on the project?