Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Business Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53chevtrev, Nov 26, 2011.

1. BadLuck

BadLuck

awesome job! love this car

2. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks chris

Been watching your build on the 52. Love your car as well, excited to see the rest of the car painted, roof looks sick!

3. Tin Can

Tin Can

Looks great man. Amazing how the smallest mod can be so time consuming isnt it

4. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

So true! But the little things make the difference.

5. DMacias

DMacias
    from So Cal

It's all in the details.... Nice work!

6. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Man great work, its the little details that make em stand out...Killer work

7. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Beautiful metal work and I love that you are keeping the 235.

8. elvi411

elvi411

A few beers and good times today. looking real good!

9. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Another sunday session on the car by Schaefer and myself. Completed the passenger side radius fabrication to the door. Also started fitting the garnish moulding for the driveside door. It went a lot smoother than I had imagined it. I should be able to finish welding the roof up this week and the rest of the door inners and move inside the car this weekend.

No progress photo's this time, just the finished radius

[​IMG]

Here is a shot with the bottom fitted and working on the backside of the garnish moulding.

[​IMG]

Driver side moulding sitting next to the factory passenger one.

[​IMG]

Starting next friday I am off for two weeks paid "Summer Shutdown". Will keep things up to date and should be able to get a lot of work done during this period.

10. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Great for you to drop by today. Thanks again for the beers! Gotta get your car done for vintage drags.

11. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Awesome, I like the fact you didnt over angle the post, I like them straight up and down, but to each is own. Looks great, one day I hope to have the nerve to pull the lid off mine.

Godspeed
    MrC.

12. misordia

misordia

Beautiful car man. Huge inspiration as I will attempt my first chop, bag job, and all modifications lol good work

13. HrdNox

HrdNox
    from utah

14. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Been able to get a bit of work done on my two week break.

Had to relief the inside of the door frame near the vent window to allow the two sections chopped to line up again.

[​IMG]

Schaefer was over on sunday and we got the drivers rear garnish moulding tacked together.

[​IMG]

Here is a closer look at the rear garnish frame and the modifications I needed to make it work.

[​IMG]

Welded and finished up the rear garnish moulding.

[​IMG]

Finally got around to modifying the Magnum beadroller I bought about a month ago, I added some 2x2 1/4" wall tubing to reinforce it, added some bars to hold the dies and an old VW bus steering wheel. As I am short for garage space where I live, I did not build a stand. I am going to use the vise for now and store it away under my bench to free up some room.

[​IMG]

Here is the first panel I created using my beadroller. It works great although it still takes two people to roll some things as I need two hands on the work piece.

[​IMG]

Patch panel fitted great and flows good with the factory inner sheetmetal into my wheel tub.

[​IMG]

15. Tin Can

Tin Can

Lookin good man, Those garnish mouldings are very tedious to get to look and fit just right!

16. verde742

verde742

YOU JUST DON'T SEE any '54's, cause they didn't make 'em.....'53 only

17. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Sure do man. And the fit from factory was mediocre at best!

You are correct on that one! 53 is the last year of the business coupe is it not?

18. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Little more progress this afternoon. Balancing my last week of holidays working on my car and doing some kitchen renovations...Ahh the joys of house ownership...

Got the passenger side inner quarter to wheel tub patch piece fabricated today and installed. Getting the hang of using my beadroller now as I'm just learning this week on how to use it. Already want to make it electric, its really hard trying to roll some of this shit by yourself!

[​IMG]

Happy to say that the drivers side of my chop is complete! Garnish mouldings are done, now just gotta button up the passenger side and do some finishing on the back window. Not far now!

[​IMG]

19. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Trevor - This build is awesome. Keep up the great work. Subscribed.

20. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

21. hotdamn

hotdamn

damn brother, you and your boy have done a killer job so far! When I chopped my 54 I didnt think to radius the quarter window pieces like you did yours but I will definitely be cutting those out soon and re doing them :)

seriously, again, you guys are doing a killer job!!!

and props on finding such an amazingly solid car to start out with!!! one of the many great things about a business coupe is the lack of side window trim from the factory there for lack of gnarly pitting:D

22. mike805

mike805

Great build, you do killer work. Subscribed!

23. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

very nice work on that ride.

24. hotdamn

hotdamn

another question, did you or are you plannining on attatching your inner fenders to your quarters and if so how?

25. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

THANK YOU guys for the comments!!! Means a lot to me and I will keep pushing this build along as steady as I can.

I will be capping the inner fenders to the quarter panels once all the major body fabrication is complete and I have mounted it onto my rotisserie and got the body media blasted and cleaned up. I figured it would be way easier doing it once it is all clean and I can work with the body sideways, not lying up inside some wheel well.

26. reynoriega

reynoriega
    from 310

I'm curious about those white walls. What size and brand? That's a bad ass coupe!!!

27. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Thanks! My tires are Coker Classics 2 3/8" Wide White Radials - 205/75R15

28. 1953huttotx

1953huttotx
    from hutto tx

29. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent job! How did you grind the welds in the tight radius corners of your garnish moldings?