Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a STRAIGHT 6 in your HotRod? Come On, stand up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 25, 2004.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

Mark,
    I have read that the ARP Rod Bolt for the Ford 460 is very close, only a slight modifacation to use it.
    I would contact ARP with your rod bolt diamensions first.
    Glenn

2. Heres my new toy, 3.3 Holden six, in a 29 Hudson truck.
    Its stock for now, but i'll take any hot up gear i can find.
    I painted it Ford green. :D;)

Attached Files:

3. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I've got my stock 216 in my 52 Chevy. At first I was dead set on replacing with with an SBC but I figured why bother when the she's running fine as is. I prefer a straight six. If my 216 ever craps I'm going to go with a 250 or 292 (if I can find one).

[​IMG]

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DLove this thread.Great bunch of 6`s AND vehicles.Subscribing.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

A stock automatic GMC six gets this around town and on the highway. 186,000 mi. and still going.

Attached Files:

6. pspbee

pspbee
    from Kansas

i just acquired a 1950 plymouth 2 door sedan with a 264.5 chrysler spitfire six with split manifold, dual exhaust, frenched '59 caddy taillights, frenched headlights, shaved doors, recessed aerial, and louvered hood. also molded side pipes and '52 buick side trim. sat for years. it does run (sounds very cool with 12'' glas packs!). lotta work yet to do but so cooool. any info on multiple carb intake for this motor and anyone done a disc brake conversion on an old early '50's mopar. would like to hear.think i am gonna name it ""babbit beater!" stay cool!

7. zacattack

zacattack

I've got a 186ci holden 6 in mine with tripple cd150 strombergs and a 4 speed[​IMG]

8. hkestes

hkestes

.030 over 230 in my 48 Plymouth Coupe. Offenhauser intake, Carter Webber carbs, repop Fenton cast iron headers, HEI dist, and the icing on the cake the Edgy finned aluminum head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sliced56

sliced56

Great to see these old 186's still being used and don't they run hard with a bit of work, bet that lightweight roadster will be a whole heap of fun when its finished;)

Mick

10. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

I'm Running a 216 in my 53 Chevy. Split the exhaust with straight pipes, man does she purr! I've got so many miles on that baby, never been rebuilt either! And she's still kickin'! Got almost 20mpg on the highway on a 300 mile round trip. Can't complain! Might Hop it up soon with a dual carb setup too but we will see!

11. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

now thats cool i, like to see a vintage engine with some speed equipment on it

12. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

When I bought the '36 Plymouth coupe, the original plan was a '50's type hot rod with a bigger Chrysler 6. Then I found a '58 Dodge L230 nearby that had been rebuilt in the '70's and never used. It was spring and I couldn't stand it, so I faux-tina'd it (shudder), plugged it in, and have been driving it ever since. It's been three years and I'll probably leave it as is.

Attached Files:

13. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

so ive been messing around with my 292 for a long time now , ive posted pictures on here and on my build thread of it , and in the past week we finally got it running ,\
    heres the link for it if any of you guys are interested .
    http://youtu.be/G-XfOQw5t_4

[​IMG]

14. von zipper

von zipper

Got a 170 in my little Ranchero! Just a bit of chrome so far, but it's a daily! Love the MPG!!

Attached Files:

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

That's a good sounding 6 Cody !

16. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Thanks

17. rodl

rodl

18. Gasserman

Gasserman
    from Tulsa OK

I got my`63 Falcon out today. It`s the first time since the guy I bought it from, He parked in `86. It`s 170 with 3-1, headers and a Comp cam. It was a cool little ride . Gasserman

Attached Files:

19. hutchman

hutchman

Very raspy 6 cylinder Cody! Nicely done!

20. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

Thanks you

21. indianhead74

indianhead74

Got an OHC pontiac 6 in one of my cars, Automatic and about 22MPG without really trying. No, It ain't a hot rod but I can afford to drive it . Parts are a little scarce so I pack a C.A.R.E. package when we travel. Ask your dad what care packs are. Indy

22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That is a very interesting intake system you have there Cody. Can you tell us more about it?

What brand is the manifold? I've never seen one like it - must be very rare.
    Are those SU carbs or japanese copies? What size?

The reason I am so intrigued is I built a similar intake manifold for my champ car and plan to use two SU HS-6 carbs on it. I have never used these carbs on anything and am in the dark as to how to build them.

Thanks for the insight. Nice engine.
    sr_047.jpg sr_048_2.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  23. GTA91

GTA91
    from Festus, MO

That's awesome! I love the Sprint6/T5/3.90 combo in my '52. Can't wait to build my '38 Pontiac sedan, but its gonna have a 389 in it.

24. GTA91

GTA91
    from Festus, MO

Pictures?

25. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thanks i made the intake setup, well kinda its part of a clifford manifold part of a 240z and the restwas creativity , the carbs a the jap version, there 1 3/4 su , we just got the 292 up and running and so far the carbs havnt really been any issue.pm me if you have any more questions

26. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Figured I keep the thread alive. This 250 just came home with me destined for my 46 chevy pickup. Clifford, Lowe, and Sissell goodies on the way!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. 64cummins

64cummins
    from kansas

There are some nice sixes on here

28. Im not sure on size comparrison, but the Chevy six is a larger version of the Holden six. Heres a shot of the left side of my Holden six. Just got to finish up polishing inlet, before it all goes back together. Stock for now, but will do a log manifold with two or three carbs later, and headers.

[​IMG]

29. lv2tri2

lv2tri2

I am building a 68 Pontiac OHC Sprint 6 for my 49 Chevy pu. Saginaw 4spd (2groove), 3.54 95 C4 rear. I will add boost, but so far forged pistons are all that I've purchased for that interest. I've always liked the sound of a split 6 and really looking forward to the first run.

30. 6narow

6narow

Sweet ride.
    If the 170 ever begins feeling enemic, keep your eyes open for a 250. Same engine, but larger bore and stroke.
    Your Ranchero will seem like a rocket ship, comparitively.

Elvis