Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Specials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ned Ludd, Jul 27, 2012.

1. damnfingers

damnfingers

And this is my version:

Attached Files:

metalhead140 likes this.
  2. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

One of the definitive books on specials is John bolsters book specials ,
    http://www.automotobookshop.com.au/specials-p-4654.html
    John and his brother built a number of cars for hill climbs in the Uk ,

A definition is hard as there would always be cars outside , but many were cars built around small car chassis, like Austin seven or gn with different engines and with sporting bodies on

The gn and later frazer Nash chassis were very popular as the simple drive train layout means it's easy(ier) to add a more powerful engine , or maybe a couple of more powerful engines
    With their chain 4 speed transmission it means ratio changes can be made , in the paddock to suit each event

3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

"Specials" is a great book.I just bought one here in the U.S. for $45.00 USD! I like the definition John Bolster gives: " A "special" is a car built for a specific purpose by an ameteur,either to his own design,or by combining the essential parts of different makes.The reason for building it is simply to produce a car with better performance than anything the constructor could hope to afford to buy ready made. "

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

[​IMG]
    This is on the British Amazon site at approximately £30: a bit over my budget right now. Mind you, even with shipping it should be only a bit over what we paid for our anniversary restaurant dinner last night.

This little pamphlet was relatively affordable, and available through one of the local sites, as it's in print:
    [​IMG]
    It's something like 24 pages, though.

John Bolster's book doesn't appear to be available as a download.

5. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

I'm surprised with my fascination for American V8s in lightweight chassis I've never seen this one before. Any more info? Present location?

Thanks,

6. 60 Plymouth

60 Plymouth
    from UK

7. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Attached Files:

8. RM-Special

RM-Special

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  9. UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

10. A Racer

A Racer
    from melbourne

Hi all, Here is some photos of my model a special I built over ten years ago. I built the car in three months to attend a vintage race meeting and have been competing at hill climbs and sprint meetings ever since.It is lots of fun at a reasonable cost..

Attached Files:

ratrodrodder and badgascoupe like this.
  11. superleggera

superleggera

I just gave a whistle to the guy who did the bodywork design and also one of Pete's friends who was around when it was designed/built to get the full story. (I just know Pete's story from about 1989 to recent with it) I'll post a link once I get everything back from them along with 20+ other pictures detailing unique things about it and the chassis.

Car is sitting today (in the shop next door) as part of the Pete Lovely estate and unfortunately is being sold upcoming along with many of his Lotus racecars. Pete originally envisioned it due to the Colin Chapman influence. Most people forget that Pete slept in the kitchen at Colin's moms house when he stayed in England when he was doing drive for Lotus about 1959. It is an interesting story truthfully.

12. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

That car must have been a scream to drive. Looking forward to any more info you can provide.

13. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

The Hornet Special,a recent build in the spirit of Bolster's Bloody Mary.

Attached Files:

billybones and ratrodrodder like this.
  14. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I'm thinking that this is the Instone "Martyr".

Attached Files:

• 74.jpg
      74.jpg
      File size:
      48.7 KB
      Views:
  15. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

GN Gnat. Graham Little pic.

Attached Files:

16. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

GN Spider. G.L. pic

Attached Files:

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Minimalist motoring at it's finest. G.L. pic Ben Marchant's 1900 cc BAC- engined Austin Seven special.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Thanks Bob. This thread would not be complete without GNs: lots of them! GNs were small-production "jam factory" affairs to begin with, so "stock" wasn't all that stock. And on top of that they seemed to be made for special-building (possibly because they were made pretty much through special-building.)

19. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Also courtesy of banjeaux bob, this MG certainly belongs here:
    [​IMG]

20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Very nice: just the sort of crossover zone between hot rod and special I've been looking for for a long time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some more from the same website:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spoggie likes this.
  21. fleet-master

fleet-master

these are pics of the Stuart Special, owned by Stewart Quertier from just outside Gore here in New Zealand.
    It's very nicely built and gets along real well too. Theres footage of it on YouTube and if I was a bit more computer savvy I'd link it in here! :D

Theres been a few specials built here in NZ over the years...born out of neccessity i guess, as cars and parts were comparatively rather expensive here particularly from the late 40s through to the late 60s.

Attached Files:

Spoggie likes this.
  22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Bentley 3/8-litre specials:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one was turbocharged in the '60s:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    Jim the Sweep likes this.
  23. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I like this one, but I really love the rock work on the wall behind it. That is just plain awsome.

Attached Files:

24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Now that you mention it, the history of the wall might be as interesting as that of the Ford/Bugatti. It looks like fairly utilitarian uncoursed rubble laid probably in a lime mortar, with brick infill around openings which might date from a more recent time. The bricks look a bit flatter than standard English bricks, and those to the arches do not appear to be rubbed. The brickwork seems to be about 9" thick: I wonder if the stone portions are significantly thicker. The metal window frame points to a date somewhere in the latter half of the 19th century, for that element at least. The shape of the arch suggests anything after the 17th century, when utilitarian construction lost its Gothic habits, but the fabric itself is certainly much younger. I cannot see enough brickwork to identify a consistent bond pattern that could give a clue to time and place. The plain stretcher bond by the door could mean anything. The bit of brickwork to the right of the window is not as neat - in fact it is almost bagged - and could be a recent repair.

Spoggie and Bigcheese327 like this.
  25. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Hey Ned, do you know the purpose of the "W" shaped stud/wire looking setups on the side of that car? Maybe hold the body panels on?

26. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Those Bentleys are so friggin' cool! A home-built special using American power but looking like this would be my ultimate dream car.

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

More on HT9029:
    ht9029_38.jpg
    ht9029_37.jpg

Some 8-litre specials:
    gn199_03.jpg
    gw2926_02.jpg
    gw2926_03.jpg

Take that, VintageBentleys.org!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    ratrodrodder likes this.
  28. thaddaeus

thaddaeus

What would be a good way to build one of these? It's been a dream of mine for a long time. Start with a 30's Ford frame and just go from there? Or could you use something from the 60's as a base?

29. DWBlietz

DWBlietz
    from California

My special was built from a 1934 dodge 2 dr it still has the 6 cyl dodge with a 3 spd overdrive it was built in 1947-8 by Bob fergerson in corronodo, Ca. it was featured on the front page of the corronodo paper luckily it has not been changed from the original build this is the heart of original hot rodding use what you have and build the rest i have 2 other cars that fit into this catagories but that is for a later pics keep the specials coming:)