Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

2. Agreed

3. That white, tandem sleeper trailer in the back ground is pretty ritzy for the 1967ish era!

4. Is that Joe Pisano on the right?

5. S
    The last Funny car of Sox & Martin :(

6. Great picture! I had the pleasure to talk with Larry a few times at Mooneyhams shop when I was having my blower made for my fuel car. Very nice guy to talk to. I asked him if he ever attended the hot rod reunion, he told me no, he was not interested. Did not say why. RIP Jungle Larry

7. Very pretty! I could look at that all day

8. WCD

WCD

Larry's disinterest reminds me of a former accqauintance who in the day was quite an accomplished motorcycle racer in all the sports variations. He said one day, as he awoke and was preparring to venture to the track, that he suddenly decided , "I'm done." He not only didnt load the bike up, but proceeded to sell everything off and he never sat atop another bike again.

9. rooman

rooman

Seeing as how that is the Bones, Dubach, Pisano Willys I would say yes.

Roo

10. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

That's the way I quit in the late 70's. Tom S.

11. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

The "Zorba The Greek" trailer in the background is my friend Tom Masa's. Hog Mountain Dave sent me a PM about this pic. I forwarded it to Tom . And he says yep thats his. Made out of 1/4" plywood. The back curved door was made by soakin the plywood in water for along time then just bending and screwing it. When the car was sold. The guy that bought it died on a motorcycle and the trailer just sat outside for years and ended up distroyed. See pics of the car that was in this trailer. And info about the guy that owned it here.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223062

12. flyingpiston53

flyingpiston53
    from bristol ri

Am I the only one the noticed the bitchin white caddy hearse...... Push car?

13. partsrivet

partsrivet

The Surfers AA/FD wasn't fancy, but when they were on it what a show. Doesn't that scoop remind you of the one the Hawaiian had at Indy a week later? Oklahoma City, 8-1966 [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  14. partsrivet

partsrivet

Green Mt Boys at the 67 Nationals. [​IMG]

15. partsrivet

partsrivet

Ott and Ewing B/SR Indy 9-1967[​IMG]

16. partsrivet

partsrivet

We saw a closeup of the damage to Charlie Smith's El Camino at Opelousas, LA in July of 1967. I noted on another view that the altered had more stuff on the front end, which was probably damaged in the wreck. Lucky they made it. [​IMG]

17. partsrivet

partsrivet

Joe Lunati in his Troublemaker M/SP at La Place LA 5-7-1967
    [​IMG]

18. partsrivet

partsrivet

Don Garlits lights em up at Indy 9-1966. Don't know who the other guy is. [​IMG]

19. partsrivet

partsrivet

During the 67 season, Garlits had problems getting into the 6's. He swore he wouldn't shave until he did and he finally got there when he won Top Fuel at the 67 Nationals. A large crowd stood by at the starting line to watch the festivities, including some photographers who climbed atop Big Daddy's camper for a better shot. Unfortunately, they caved in the top. When Bob Gibson showed Garlits this view at Bowling Green a few years ago, he was delighted to see this different angle of his famous shave. His delight changed to rage as he again saw his camper being damaged by the perps. The man has a LONG memory!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  20. This is still my favorite thread. 7-1/2 million views can't be wrong.

21. WCD

WCD

Note that Joe is still running Crane Cams. In 67 he got R/U in funny car eliminator at the Nationals. He lost to the Dougs Headers Corvair. A few weeks after the Nationals, Lunati crashed the car putting him the hospital wherein he contemplated his future. It was then that he decided to start his own company; Lunati Cams.

22. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

[​IMG]

The unique cars from that time will never be seen again

23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  24. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Any idea where Lunati crashed?
    After all these years I can still learn something new every day. Tom S.

25. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Magnificent story King! I could spend all day reading these stories!! Love it; Tom S.

26. cougarmike

cougarmike

right click, paste...right click, paste, right click, paste...= 2nd best screen saver ever. 1st bestest screen saver includes pictures of Vida Guerra and Alyssa Milano...

27. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Hoping to get some help from this very knowledgable group of drag racing historians.

A buddy of mine bought a '40 Chevy out of Texas about 5 years ago. It was raced into the '70's as a gasser in the Austin area. He heard it might have gone by the name of "Mighty Mouse." When he bought it, it was in the Houston area.

Would anyone here have any information on this car? He's looking for any background info or pictures from the day.

Thanks in advance...

28. WCD

WCD

I dont know where the crash occurred, most likely an outlaw match race track without guard rails and about as wide a sidewalk.

29. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Originally Posted by Tom S. in Tn. [​IMG]
    Any idea where Lunati crashed?
    After all these years I can still learn something new every day. Tom S.

Events like that happened alright, and no one left today to give an account. Tom S.

30. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

This car is right off the rollers, could that have made those marks on the tires?
    Some times we used to switch the wheels & tires to the opposite side and put a few runs on them when they started rolling up.