Register now to get rid of these ads!

the law

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southern thunder, Aug 10, 2012.

1. southern thunder

southern thunder

ever had the law pull you over just to check out your car ? In younger days, I got pulled over a few times, theres something about a deep oil pan, and 1 3/4 headers hanging under a 55 chevy that got attention, as well as the headers being open half the time.

2. RustyArmadillo

RustyArmadillo
    from Dallas

I got pulled over in my first RX-7 by a cop who wanted to talk about his mustang...
    That was awkward.

3. I was pulled over by the CHP.
    Liked our truck.
    He was a MOPAR guy.
    It was fun talking to him.

4. silent rick

silent rick

yep, every 6 months or so a newbie starts a thread about his experience with the law. i bet if you search you'd find some good stories.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I used to get pulled over all the time in my truck when I was a kid. But I've never been stopped in my 55, it has a blown big block, and I've been driving it 16 years and 87,000 miles. Strange.

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I got pulled over once in a 1968 Charger 440/4spd for that reason. Cop just wanted to chat.

Of course I got pulled over in that car for lots of other reasons too, but cops were always pretty cool.

One time I came through a three way intersection sideways with the tires ablaze and there happened to be a motorcycle cop sitting behind a bush with his jaw on the ground. I didn't wait for the lights, I just pulled over.

"Problem with the clutch pedal son?" :eek:

I got a ticket for an "Unsafe Start/Stop". Didn't even know that ticket existed, but much better than it could have been! :D

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The first time my Son drove his rpu to work he was leaving for lunch and a Sheriff pulled up right behind him at a light. My Son kept driving and making turns but the cop stayed right behind him and after about 3 miles followed him into the restaurant. Dan was thinking the worst, but it turns out the cop just was a car nut too and wanted to get a good look at his car.

I sold my old Lincoln arc welder on Craigslist and a guy showed up who was a Sheriff. When he saw our cars we started talking about racing and it turns out he has a big block Dart, and he street races ! :eek: I thought that was a little odd.:confused:

Don

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yeah, pulled over often as a yout. Now, that I'm a greybeard, I seem to get away with a little more.

A couple of years ago, my boss's kid (high school senior) hopped up the lease car his parents got him for keeping his grades up, a Charger 6.2 hemi. He proceeded to put all kinds of performance mods on it, culminating with a compressor as big as a ATV wheel. It was putting out over 600 horses. The Boca Raton cops loved to stop him.

One day, his Dad, my boss, was at home and sent the kid to the office where I was to get me. We headed up the road (US#!) thru town and he was following my '37 truck with the charger. I put the pedal down pretty good for that four mile trip. When we arrived at the house, he asked me why I went so fast. I said I had a designated decoy. The cops wanted him much more than me.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I must be the only one who does not want to be pulled over by the cops to talk about cars. it would not be cool.

10. A few times in the late 80s early 90s , but not since just to looks.
    Times have changed and I thought they were shity back then.

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Back in my early teen years I was pulled over from 2 to many times a week ! They all knew me by my first name . Small town thing I guess . Nope , I wasn't stopped (never got a speeding ticket either) for speeding or anything like that but they always hassled me for the bumper being to high , tires too wide , exhaust way too loud and the hood scoop being too big . I had the BIG Grump Lump hood scoop back then due to the carbs & tunnel ram set up i had under the scoop .
    Anytime there was a call in that there was a drag race on a road , they always started looking around for me ! I didn't mind it really as they could never get me for anything but the stupid shit things ! Sometime certain cops would pull me over just to ask me about the car and so on . The State troopers were the nicest to me . Their office was right around the corner from my house .
    Now today I can do the very same things to my hotrod and they will not even think about pulling me over ! WOW how things have changed .

Retro Jim

12. kscarguy

kscarguy

Back in the 70's, I was 13 and running my mini-bike down the very center of the street. I look over and right there, just two feet from my shoulder, is the front fender of a cop car. I tried to talk my way out of it. "Really officer, I was on the side of the street..." I got grounded for two weeks.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I find something as simple as colour makes a diff, my black '64 el camino got pulled over probably 10 times in a year, my greenish blue 65 el camino has 2 months so far with a taillite out and yet to be waived down... Both identical in how i drive (atleast in town) It should be noted that 3 times my '64 got waived down for totally legal YOM plates, but the others were even more BS.

P.S. $5 says i get a ticket for my tailite this weekend, after bitching on here

14. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

When I was finishing up my '33 Willys in '98, I took it out on a local parkway without the tilt nose and with open headers. A cop pulled up on me and gave me a huge grin and a thumbs up. :eek:

Attached Files:

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Last week Ponchorello rolls up on the passenger side of the roadster & says, "I love the exhaust". So, I gave him a "wraAAAA"!!! Him gave me a thumbs up :cool:

Attached Files:

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're not the only one, 49RF. I don't think it's cool either...not at all. Just another way to take advantage of their position, waste time and taxpayer's dollars and stress whoever they're bothering. If a cop ever pulls me over just to "talk", I'm gonna tell him to go "talk" to somebody else. And I will file a complaint. I aint kiddin'. If you're a cop, do your job, and leave people alone, unless there's a problem.

17. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

He didnt even notice I didn't have tags, or probally didn't even care.

18. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

Three friend and I got pulled over on night because we were going too slow :eek: He had us stay put till the traffic cleared up then sent us on our way, he did tell us that he had had no traffic calls that night for speeders tho. :D

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

happens alot around here. i live in the country so i go to a little store about 3-4 miles from the house.i drive cars without tags open exhaust, no front clip. it just depends on whats runnin on that day. and ive never gotten a ticket. ive had them pull me over i know atleast 20 times in the last couple yrs and all they ever done was walk around the cars and look. tell me a story about one of their cars and off i go.but my luck will runout and when it does its gonna cost me big time!

20. southern thunder

southern thunder

I think my problem was the open headers. a built 396 can make some noise in the street. ofcourse, I was 18-19, and the louder it was the better for me. funny how the older i get, the quieter i want things.

21. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I got pulled over for the cop to check out the 53', Had a shotgun & pistol sitting in the cases in the back seat. needless to say his demeanor changed slightly after he saw them. After it all checked out he bench-raced with me a bit & told me to put them in the trunk next time.

22. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

My Captain would tell you to pound sand and then tell me to inspect you car really well and give you every ticket I could for improper anything. Its guys like you that make cops mess with car guys. I have never stopped anyone just to yalk or look at there car. In fact older cars usually get a break because they are just that old cars. Bit I wont let your attitude change my outlook. I will still let the old guys do as they please.

23. LAROKE

LAROKE

Thanx, man.

Man, I love the sunshine state!

24. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Were in thos together. The more enemies we make the worse it will be. I deal with people lije thay all the time. You stop them for no taillights at 9 at night. They cuss you for the first two minutes. When they are done what would normaly be a written warrning not even a fix it ticket becomes a regular ticket. We have whats called descretion. I am nothing more than a mirror of you. And yes the Sunshine State is the place to be, we have more LEOs that are car people in one way or another.

25. Just thumbs up.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

your captain is a dick. it's cops like that that make people think you are all dicks.

27. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

We are

28. prpmmp

prpmmp

Yeah! Age is a funny thing!What we use to get stopped for they now give us a thumbs up!! I wish I would get carded at Hooters just for old time sake!! Pete

29. southern thunder

southern thunder

Hey Lighten up guys, this thread was suspose to be fun. l don't know about everywhere else, But in Atlanta, Ga. they earn every dime they get. I got stopped by the law because i probably deserved it. I grew up in a small town, main street was about 1/8h mile long at best. I knew all the city police by name, and they knew me. none hasseled me except one, and he hasseled everybody, If i had gotten stopped for everything I did.. I would probably still be stopped.I Don't mean any disrespect to anybody, all of us are entitled to our opinions.

30. prpmmp

prpmmp

Your Damned if you do and Damned if you don,t!! Lets be careful out there!!(loved that show) Pete

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012