Register now to get rid of these ads!

welding aluminum to steel... i seen it here 7 years ago

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutwagonfromhell, Aug 9, 2012.

1. nutwagonfromhell

nutwagonfromhell
    from missouri

7 years ago when i was new here there was a post about welding aluminum to steel that had a link to a company that sold these welding rods with videos of some kind of new alloy gas welding rods that could weld aluminum to steel for real.
    no joke, laugh if u want, but it was for real. any older hambers know what site i`m talking about?

2. harley man

harley man

3. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

JB Weld will do it.....do they sell JB in a rod form?

4. It is like a bunyon remedy as seen on TV. Its snake oil my friend.

I have seen it at county fairs as well. I just don't believe it is for real or there would be shops around the country doing it.

5. pitman

pitman

Steel would "warm" as the AL melted away...sounds as though it would be a challenge.

6. larry k

larry k

ALUMINUM MELTS AT 1400* STEEL AT 2600 * TO 2800* SO YOU TELL ME ? HOW CAN THIS BE TRUE ??? :eek:

7. Homemade44

Homemade44

The only way to weld steel to aluminum is with a special transition piece that is bonded with a special process. You weld the steel side to the steel and the aluminum side to the aluminum. You can do the same thing with aluminum to copper. Spur Industries in Spokane, Washington is one or the places that makes the transition pieces. They are not cheap but work great.

Any other process is pure snake oil.

8. Well believe it or not, I have welded BRASS to steel with a stick welder. I was working at a John Deere dealer and the backhoe boom slides had brass wear strips. We used a "brass" welding rod to weld them to the steel boom. Well after I left John Deere I heard they changed the wear strips to aluminum and had some type of welding rod to weld them on with. Now, I never saw this so it may be BS. But on the other hand 20 years ago I never heard of arc welding brass to steel, so....

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Some sales men came into the shop at United Air lines once and showed me an aluminum bar that had been friction welded to a steel bar and then bent 90 degrees at the weld. The whole thing had been turned on the OD .I would have to guess there was a lot of distortion at the joint before turning. But i did see it.

10. cayager

cayager

look up explosion welding on the net. a process for joining dissimilar metals. common to see steel ears on tailgates of aluminum trailer dumps

11. nevrdun

nevrdun
    from lombard,il

I know you can't weld steel and aluminum together,but how does Cragar weld the SS mags together? The center is cast aluminum and the hoop is steel.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Google up 'friction stir' welding:

Attached Files:

13. larry k

larry k

"HEY" THIS IS DAMNED INTERESTING ! :confused:

14. Andy

Andy

I have an aircraft metal fab. book from the '50's. Written by a Col. who must have never got his hands dirty. There is a drawing showing alum. ribs welded to steel tubing. When I bought it, a friend said, never trust a book written by a col. He was right.

15. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

years ago mitsubishi was working on this,,,,

16. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Hmmm... aluminum welded to steel??? Sounds like that lead into gold thing they used to tout in the middle ages. Alchemy my friend, pure alchemy.

17. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

18. the-rodster

the-rodster

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

They set steel welding tabs into the mold before they are poured

20. I can weld a cat's ass to a telephone pole & Copper to steel
    Steel to aluminum? Not direct but a transition piece.

21. 41fastback

41fastback

I've seen copper plate bonded to stainless steel plate, using this method. Used for transition pieces in electron beam welding.

22. My ET mag wheels I have had on 4 seperate cars over 40 years are a steel rim welded to a aluminum center must have 200 thousand miles on em by now.

23. pitman

pitman

Vicky I like your welding pallete! Friction welding possibly, on assembling wheels, ears that are cast or pressed into the Al, sure.

24. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

isnt that rod made by muggy weld
    bonds al,copper,brass bronze ,steel pot metal on and on
    seen it at sema show, actually bought some

25. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

yea it is like brazing BUT i tried to twist the pcs apart ,no way i beat the hell out of it bmf hammer still no luck , works real good

26. Years ago when I was building tuna boats in San Diego the shell was steel but the wheel house and crew quarters were made of aluminum. We had a 1/2" x 4" bar that was half alum and half steel. You could see a 45 degree joint in the middle of the bar where it had been exploded together. The steel side was welded to the deck and the house was droped down and welded to the alum side. I was told it was pretty expensive but fairly common and easy to order.

27. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I have been working in the aluminum industry for over 20 yrs and have built aluminum to steel transition joints....i guarantee they arent welded!!!

28. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

Weld ....with the exception of explosion welding, no...However you could use sili-bronze...

29. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Aladdin also makes a rod for joining aluminum to copper, brass, bronze, etc but it isn't welding it's soldering. Generaly the difference between welding, brazing, and soldering is with the temperature range. Applications requiring temperatures less than 840 degrees are considered soldering. Brazing applications start at 840 degrees. Welding is the joining of two metals by applying heat or pressure to produce localized union or acrossed the interface. The Aladdin low temp solder will work well for the aluminum to copper. They also have a 3 in 1 rod that works great on white metal die cast, aluminum, galvanized, etc. I've used the 3 in 1 rod to put thin pieces of sheet metal and aluminum as well as thin wall tubing and aluminum together, but I won't say it was a welded joint, it was more of a soldered joint and did work for the OT RC stuff I was building. Best of all it's made in Michigan!!!