Register now to get rid of these ads!

work in the shop-odd hours

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southern thunder, Aug 9, 2012.

1. southern thunder

southern thunder

does anybody ever get wide awake in the middle of the night, and go out to the shop/garage ? I used to in years gone by, but now, I think about it and don't ever do it......yet.... old age settin in I guess

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to 35 years ago when I worked shift work and lived in Texas. I'd get home at 11:30 at night and work in the garage to about 3 a lot of times. Here in the big middle of a hayfield the damned mosquitoes will run you in the house as soon as the sun starts go go down. Plus I have to get up at 03:00 to go to work so that precludes working in the garage on work nights anyhow.

3. Right now my garage/sho[p is attached to the house and I have a wife that needs to get enough sleep to make it to work.

In years gone by I have spent the night in the shop and I probably still would if I were up at the retirement place where the shop is not attached.

4. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

There were times when I was a lot younger I'd get involved in putting a car together and would work on it in the garage all night, then get cleaned up and go to my "real" job. Can't do that any more.

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

read somewhere that spraying Listerine around doorways and windows keeps mosquitos away.

6. FANTM58

FANTM58

I,ll work in the garage after dinner in the evenings
    Sometimes , I glance uP at the clock and am surprised
    How it is . Everyone inside is in bed .
    Plus it is a lot cooler in the evenings !

7. Yea but will it keep bad odors in the bathroom, that what I want to know. ;)

Hey where are the hate nazis, common fellas some of us are enjoying our enjoying ourselves. :rolleyes:

8. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

When I worked a 5pm to 4 am shift I would be in shop on off nights.Would have to close the big door so my banging wont wake neighbors up.Now Iam on swing shift so my sleep pattern is a mess.I mostly lay in bed and think,come up with my best idiers doing that. No mosquitos this year,too dry.but those tiny little buggers are a real pain in the ass!!. Too tired right now to spell correct:eek:

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I wake up at odd hours, but it's to pee.

10. butterboy

butterboy

Three kids, a wife, and a full time job only let me get into the garage after the kids are in bed. Two nights a week I sneek out to the garage and wrench till 2 or 3 am. My oldest turns five tomarrow. In that five years I have built a 49 chevy fastback and a 50 chevy truck..Now i'm planning to start my 30 coupe. I will sleep later in life!

11. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I Get off work between 11pm and 1am so I get a fair amount done at night. I can't be too loud though because the wife works at 7am and needs her sleep.

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

used to do it all the time.be laying in bed cant sleep so up and out to the shop.come in take a shower and off to work for the day.now days i dont have to be at work but i sure the hell aint going to get out of bed and go out to the shop. well let me change that some. in this heat wave ive been workin 3d shift out there cause its a lot cooler at nite and the early morn.come in the house around 8 or 9 am and go back out around 6 or 7 pm.summer in the shop 120+at 10 am. not for me!

13. metalman

metalman

Yeah, 30 years ago I'd do all nighters (and still go to my "day" job the next morning) especially if there was a rod run or show I was thrashing on to get to. Not no more, old age has definatally robbed a lot of energy. I also learned if you miss a show there will always be another one, just not worth killing myself over to get there.

14. I had a few years where I was keepin' crazy hours doing machined parts at home. I'd never turn down a big $$ job. I was working my main job and doing the garage thing at night. I'd be out there until 1 AM or later. I have heat and AC so I was always comfortable. I would get to a point where I'd go in the house and snooze for a while, go back in at 3-4 AM, crank the handles some more and then go to the main job. You do what you have to do when your kids are in diapers and the wife is not working.

With the stock cars, I'd curl up in the shop under the car on jack stands at times and nap. Wake up and keep on wrenchin'. I woke up once, had trouble breathing... my chest felt funny.. until I realized I had 2 cats curled up snoozin' on ME.

Bob

15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

hell ya all the time, but only when its hot not when its cold.

16. 2935ford

2935ford

As often as I wake up in the middle of the night now, I have given serious consideration to doing just that. Sure could get a lot done with no interruptions!

17. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

i used to go in at 4am to beat the heat, but that was at my old shop. it was brick inside and out and that thing would cook you like an oven.

every once in a while i will get bored and head over and work late, or hang out with some friends and work on their cars off the clock

18. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Used to work a lot in the shop a night, got divorced, remarried don't go to the shop as much, know what I mean? nudge nudge wink wink.

19. DREW148BHP

DREW148BHP

This is where I am. HaHa

I used to work until 1 to 2am a few nights a week and also the weekends when I had customer work to finish but now that I am back at home and only working on my junk I find it hard to even get out in the garage. I was hoping that bringing it all home would get me out there more but no such luck so far.

20. Oh the fun of days past. I used to live for working ALL night on either my car, or a friends car (funny, but not so much on a paying job??). Now I don't think I could stay awake long enough to work past 9:00....wow, that is sad.

21. hippy killer

hippy killer

i like working late at night nobody comes around to bother me. there has been a few times where i have woke up looking at the bottom of a car or truck

22. i work all day, come home, rest about an hour and head out to the shop while wifey watches all the girly stuff on tv

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It doesn't start cooling off down here until around 11 PM in the Summer, so we try to take advantage of that. Lots of times we have pulled all nighters and head home as the sun is coming up. The guys at the McDonalds drive through are used to seeing us because they start serving breakfast at 3 am and we try to get there for that.

The other thing is that it is so peaceful at the shop at night, and sometimes you get lost in the work and suddenly it is 3 am or later.

Don

24. southern thunder

southern thunder

yeah, I know the feeling !!!!

25. southern thunder

southern thunder

The way I was back 30 years ago, By allmeans, be involved in your kids lifes as much as possible, Hes 5 tomorrow, It will go by so fast, when hes 20 you'll swear he was just 5 a couple of years ago. happy birthday little butterboy. I agree, sleep later in life.....and you will

26. Well now that i have read all this i guess i am not alone. Years back used to pull all nighters and now hard to work past nightfall. I guess getting old is taking it's toll, plus a couple of whining neighbors!

27. Same here! haha

28. butterboy

butterboy

Thanks, That's why I wait till all are sleeping, I don't want to miss a thing. It's funny how you find time to work on your projects if you want it bad enough. You guys are inspiring!!

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The first go round building my T, I was using space where I used to work. I'd stay after work till 1am sometimes. A few times, I would be at home in bed and get an idea. I'd get dressed and go back. I actually miss those late night thrashing sessions and test drives.