Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1955 GMC project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Hydramatic, May 20, 2011.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

Great work...subscribed.

2. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Yea I called them about the grille piece I needed but they never called me back....:mad:. Start a thread on you're truck I'd love to see it. I just bought some primer for mine so once I get the time I'll start spraying panels!!

3. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks! Not to shabby for a 19 yr old kid huh?! :D This one is going alot better than the 1st one. I was so overwhelmed when I did my 72' GMC but I have an awsome dad who helped me through it.

4. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Primer!!!!!

Attached Files:

5. Great progress!

6. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

7. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Well I hope to have primer on the cab this weekend! Will post pics when its done. Finally been getting some much needed rain here though.

8. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Got more than I thought I would done today, got the cab primed!

Attached Files:

9. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Great job, this thing is going to be done before you know it.

10. servi53

servi53

you're making some great progress on your project, keep on keeping on

11. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Truck is looking great. I think the GMC looks way better then the chevy. When we did the center 2" section on mine I made sure the hood slot was still the same size. When they are together with all the chrome in you can't beat the look on those trucks.

12. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

No you can't they look awsome! Don't see as many as you do Chevy's either. Can't wait to see mine painted with the grille all re-chromed!

13. Buzznut

Buzznut

I would have loved to have my father '57 GMC, but after he passed my mother and I decided it should go to his first grandson. I did tell him however that if he decided to sell it he would have to give me the opportunity to buy it first. Love those old GMC's.

14. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thats a bummer that you didn't get it but its cool that it's still in the family. My grandpa did the same thing for me, about a month before he passed he told me to take his truck home (69' Chevy) "because he was afraid someone would steal it". I was so shocked, yet happy when he said that to me and it was a very weird feeling driving it home without him in it. Because the only time it really got driven was when I'd go over to his house and drive him around the lake in it. I see now why he told me to take it because afterwards the rest of the family basically got rid of EVERYTHING of his in no time....

15. Looks really good. Great truck to save man. Good job. :D

16. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks! She's coming along. I'm about ready to put some primer on the doors. Then I'll get to painting the inner fenders so I can bolt them on for good.

17. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

I think my door gaps came out pretty good. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

18. Buzznut

Buzznut

I really wish I had stripped the body and frame before I had started rebuilding it mechanically, because I'm running out of time in the work area I have and really won't be able to get her completely in primer this year. It has to be nice to have a clean, single-color canvas to work with...

19. Those lines look so good you could snort them. :D

20. dubie

dubie

the door gaps look better than factory. Nice job!!! The entire truck is looking great

I'm officially subscribing so I can follow the rest of your progress.

21. Wow this truck has come a long way! Door gaps look great just like the rest of the truck. Can't wait to watch the rest of the project.

22. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks guys, after going through some of my before pics it has come a long way....she was beat up!

I think that when doing paint and a car has had repaints over the years thats the way to go. That way you KNOW you have a good base to work with.

Hhahahaha nice

23. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Oh and Buzznut when you do go to strip the paint off I've found those quick strip discs that go on a 4 1/2" ginder kick ass! They're like a scotchbrite almost and they don't heat up the metal or scratch it too deep and they take the paint off like right now.

24. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Hahaha!! Great job on the doors. Let me know when I can drop my cab and doors off.

I recently tried the 3M Sandblaster series, that what your talking about? They work great on flat surfaces, just keep away from the edges of screws and stuff.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  25. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

HAHA yea mine was enough work...yea thats somewhat simular. Here's basically what I used though. Can get em at home depot for about 10 bucks much better than sanding, and sanding and sanding and sanding.....I hate sanding....

Attached Files:

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

Oh, those 3M purple discs are the cats meow...I wouldn't strip a car without them, unless I was having the whole thing soda-blasted. They're great for multiple layers of paint and irregular surfaces like the ribs between the bed and the cab and all the dips and contours in the firewall.

27. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Been awhile since I've done anything worth updating on the 55' but I did finally get the passenger door in primer! Also the other day we were out cutting wood behind my house and my brother found what looks to be a model T hood and some other scrap peices of metal....soo rather than just letting someone throw them away or leaving them out in the woods I put them together with some old wheels I had. Kind of reminds me of a bellytanker or something that should be out at Bonneville. Also found what looks to be an old intake manifold??

Attached Files:

28. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Got the inner fenders and the bottom of the hood painted. Finally get to bolt the front clip on with more than two bolts!! Will get some pics up soon!

29. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Pics!

Attached Files:

30. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Set the bed back on

Attached Files: