Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Not This Sh*t Again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Bullyboy

Bullyboy

2. quote; My wife and I have had some pretty great adventures in a ’65
    is that what you kids are calling it know?:D
    got to love a riv! fast, powerful, and comfortable.
    i can't stop thinking of a '54 chevy convertible, s.b.c., dark green, light green interior, chrome reverse with baby moons.

3. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like early fords and own two. But, I still seem drawn to the 65 Goat with 389/tri power, and 4 speed.

4. 57 to 62 Vettes do it for me/not original of course!.....
    Ryan,I have a word of "advice" for you- young fellow...........EMPLOYEES.

5. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Oh Ya, the Riv's are sure nice but, Make mine a '59 El Camino. Just sumthin' about them I love! Normal Norman

6. My opinion on 'best ever' has changed over the years. I'm fond of '65-'67 vettes, '67-'69 Camaro's, '55-'57 Chevy's, Model A's, Model B's.....

I spin around the big car circle and what I tend to land on in the last few years is '35 Fords. I really dig their style. Particularly the coupes and roadsters (which are on the rare side).

7. mj40's

mj40's

A former boss had a 63 Riv 30 years ago. I loved it and was looking to buy a 64 for my wife's daily. I found the car less than a block away but it didn't happen because the bastard was too long to fit in my garage. So today I'm doing the best I can and using a 63 Buick 401 in my project car.

[​IMG]

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They may be slightly off-topic, but mid-year Corvettes come to mind. The '67's were a lot cleaner than the earlier models. I don't want to get into the split-window thing; that is a matter of personal taste.

I always lusted after a '36 Ford 3-window with a full-race Merc, a '39 floor shift, and hydraulic brakes. I finally built one about 20 years ago. After owning it for 5 years, I found it to be too cramped inside, and the engine could do considerable damage to the drivetrain if driven aggressively. I sold it, and surprizingly, don't miss it at all. My '51 club coupe is a much more practcal, comfortable car.

9. pitman

pitman

Working hard there boss, gettin' a little close to a four-wheel admission. :p

Somehow the lines of a black chopped and lowered '36 coupe bring on similar appreciation of the art.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  10. I know the feeling. I had a `64 when my kids were little and sold it . I missed it so bad, I bought another (20 yrs later)

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Aaron Kirbys Riv at Detroit Autorama 2012. I think its perfect.

Attached Files:

12. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

The cars I keep going back to......1959 Cadillac Coupe and 1971-2 Buick Riviera.

Now THAT Buick is cool right from the factory!!!

13. With a considerable amount of tweeking the 40 Merc coupe is just untouchable, but straight from the factory, 36 Ford 3 window.

14. I don't know why, but for me it is the 1967 Pontiac GTO.

15. I always thought those rivs with the removable door skin was pretty good idea. !

I just looked at a 65 riv that came out of 30 year storage 38k miles. All the chrome was green and pitted, 1/2 of the glass was busted out, motor was locked up, interior was nice but really needed to be de-molded, sheet metal was nice no dents or rust except rear window and corresponding trunk floor, paint was chalked bad, underside had 1/4" of that fuzzy rust that wipes right off.

If it didn't need all of everything I would have bought it. There was a lot to work with but nothing to build off of. It would have been a complete from scratch.

16. I was a senior in high school in some sort of Distributive Education class and in charge of coming up with some lunchtime event. I had walked past the local Buick dealer on the way to school recently and saw the 63 Riv and fell in love. Talked the dealer into bringing some cars, including the Riv to school for the kids to see and go home and tell the parents about who would naturally go down and buy one. My first stab at marketing. Still love the looks of the early ones. Also love 60's vintage Caddy's.

17. 66-67 GTOs have some of the best lines of that era and ever IMO.
    I like the 66s differences better. Grills, taillights, and rocker moldings look better to my eye. I kick myself weekly for selling my 66 rag top.

18. Kinky6

Kinky6

As someone on here said, "I like hot rods". All kinds, but especially Ford RPU's. '33-'34 Fords are so high style, I like just about any version of them, including the 4-door sedans. The Auburn 851 Speedsters are a favorite. And the mid-60's Rivi's are bitchen', also.

The one car that really turns my crank, though, is the '65-'66 Mustang Fastback. I just really like that body style. If I had to just pick one, it would be the Shelby GT 350 H, black w/ gold stripes.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

Attached Files:

19. belair

belair

When you're right, you're right. 65 Riv is hard to top.

20. Just yesterday I was listening to
    Stevie Ray Vaughan's Riviera Paradise
    It always makes me think of '65 Riv's
    Could very well be the pinnacle of GM's styling.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Although it is family lore that I was jndeed conceived in the back of a brand new '64 Riviera, It's not super high at the top of my list. To pick out a top all timer would be a long fruitless discussion. Given a top five -

'35 5 window coupe (I know, I'm supposed to like '36 3 windows...No matter how ugly, you never quite forget your first.)

'32 roadster,

'34 Tudor ('33s need not apply),

'29 roadster Pick Up (suprise!),

And, while I never would have ever thought I would say this, but after almost 20 years in the saddle I have come to love my '48 Plymouth more than most of the living beings around me at any given time. It's always had that kinda dog with three legs and one ear kind appeal to it, and that just makes me giggle everytime I look at it. Can't wait to have it back to healthy again!

22. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

My 1940 Mercury chopped coupe; even when there is still a lot of work to do to finish it!

23. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Hmmm....too hard to say just one, for me it's always 55 chevy, 40-41 willys, and 63 split window corvette with the ocassional 69 camaro flash backs!!! Someday I'd love to have one of each in my barn.

24. dad-bud

dad-bud

Whoa, waaaay too many cars to choose just one, but here goes.......... wait for it............ Deuce Hiboy - there!!! I said it!!!!
    Followed by a 33/34 Roadster Highboy, then an A-V8 on deuce rails
    I know - it was a surprise, wasn't it??

25. Hey Ryan! I can identify! My future fatherinlaw used to buy a new Vette every other year. First date I had with Crissie, there was a 64 convertible on the driveway. I'm looking at this Vette and thinking, "Cool, dad's a gearhead!" Next date, the Vette is gone, and in it's place is a brand new 65 Grand Sport, Black with black leather, dual quad 425!
    His comment was that Cris was about to get her driver's licence, and no way in hell was he going to turn her loose in Lake Highlands with a Vette! And then he looks at me and says "And you too, boy!"
    That Riviera made more tire smoke than any of the Vettes he ever had! Crissie beat the dog s$%t out of that car! Tach would go in one direction, and gas gauge would go in the other!
    I was always glad to take my bugeye out on dates, I could afford gas for that roller skate!

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Was this a joke? I know there are rules, but no need to be plan rude.
    I like the 64/65 Rivirera, but i will never go all in and say i love it!

I like all things car related, but thats just me, and there are only 5-8 cars i would love to own, and about a dusin I would like to own.

And i most say that early 30 cars, Pick Ups and Rigs has a special place In my heart, but i got a Hard-on for tow trucks and 32 ford, early 50 style hot rods.
    But that might just be me B-)

27. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

[​IMG]
    ooh man what id give for one of these, even a 65. has to be the more door though, coupes are just ugly to me. dark burgundy or black, wide whites with spider caps on the ground with all the chrome and bells and whistles, every time i see the delopotated 65 around the block from me, sitting there on all flats, beige with copper colored wheels, i just think of how badass that car would be

28. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  29. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Had a '63 and a '65 Riv.Rolled them both when my main occupation was drinking.
    Selling all my projects to build a nice '55 Chevy.All cars turn my head but the '[55
    is the only one I will strain neck muscles over.

30. try desert classics.com. they got a 65' up for sale that needs very little work for like $5000 bucks. i don't know if they still got it or not.:confused: