Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Dodge Father & Son build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29Jay, Apr 18, 2012.

1. nice work on the dodge....your backyard has lots of old iron....kinda looks like my backyard too !!

2. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

That is Curtis's back yard... I live in suburbia hell... 1/5th acher here... could not even get a car in my back yard...

3. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

4. Great story, great build, great car. You got everything going for you all. A little blood spilled is expected too. But please, make sure everyone wears eye protection when working. It only takes once. I can show you what happens when you don't !! :(
    Good luck....:)

5. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

It has been a busy summer. Not as many hours spent cutting rust, but progress has been made... The driver side front floor is done, the pass side front and rear are done. And I tackeled the inner and outer rocker on the pass side... A little more to go on the floors, then in to the trunk... we are getting closer...

Attached Files:

6. 73RR

73RR

Just caught this...hopefully it is a 230 flathead. Right hand threads...quit using a cresent wrench/vice grip... now you get to try a 6-point socket and failing that a pipe wrench, and failing that you can weld some scrap iron to the plug.

7. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Hemi guru's... I have been offered a factory 4 barrel intake for the 270 Hemi for $150. what all do I need to look at for a carb? I understand that only the old style will fit. could I run something more modern? Thoughts? Advice?

8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Good luck on the build. there is an adapter plate that allows a holly,or what ever 4bbl to bolt to the plate and early intake.

9. 73RR

73RR

Look around and you will find an early carb to bolt-on.

10. George

George

Good price!. Use can use a WCFB, or open up the bore holes if there's enough room & use an Edelbrock(check for linkage clearance), or install longer studs & use an Offy squeeze plate & an Edelbrock. Checked out the Hemi Tech Index?

11. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

We have been working on the rust and then working on some more rust... Here is the rear gravel gaurd repair...

Attached Files:

• 132.JPG
      132.JPG
      File size:
      117.7 KB
      Views:
    • 189.JPG
      189.JPG
      File size:
      152.6 KB
      Views:
    • 219.JPG
      219.JPG
      File size:
      115 KB
      Views:
    • 208.JPG
      208.JPG
      File size:
      137.3 KB
      Views:
  12. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

We had a few layers of ugly faded paint on the front. wanted to clean it up a bit... We just used rattle can etching primer and regular flat black just so it would match what is already on the car...

Attached Files:

• 135.JPG
      135.JPG
      File size:
      110.6 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      134.1 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      143.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  13. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Nice Car and great thread

14. tjmercury

tjmercury

Very sweet car, have fun with it.

15. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Does any one know if the Areo Star springs fit in the front for lowering? I know they fit '53 to '58 Fords... Are there any other simple, safe ways to lower the front 2"?

16. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

This project was set aside for a while... But we are back on it. Taylor is now an Eagle Scout as of April. He got a job as a life guard at the local water park... and now we are in focus on getting this girl road ready. 6 months ago I started a full time business doing this kind of work. Riggs Fabrication... I got things going well enough that I could bring the Dodge in for some love and attention...

The inner fenders needed some rust repair and clean up. The boys have been coming to the shop after school a couple of days a week. they pulled the front clip off, including the radiator in just 2 hours.

Then Taylor and I pulled the 270 Hemi out Tuesday evening. The goal was to clean it up, get the heads worked over, put some paint on her... a set of Sanderson headers... Degrease and paint the chassis... put it all back together and get the dual exhaust on and go.

Attached Files:

17. 73RR

73RR

Well, the interior of the engine looks normal...:eek: off to the hot tank.

Good luck with the new business.

18. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Sooo... We ended up ordering new rings and bearings and a timing set from Hot Heads. More work and money than I was hopping, but with everything this far, might as well...

19. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

The crank and pistons are back in. The heads and rockers are all cleaned up and ready.

20. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

overhauled!

Attached Files:

21. its good to see family done projects ....

22. 62Furious

62Furious

I just came across your build and I am glad to see that your son has not lost interest, as us old timers know it does not come over night. You two make a good team keep up the good work.

23. Awsome to see anther father and son/sons team passing on the hobby . Ian and I are working on his 49 Merc. pickup .

24. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Thanks guys!! I thought I was messing up as a dad when he showed no interest... Then he got a Job and a driver's license... His motivation changed. Our goal is for me to drive it this summer to work out the bugs... Then he can start his senior year driving this old girl around town.

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great project, love what y'all are doing, keep up the good work!

26. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

We did a lot of prep and repair work to the radiator support, inner fenders and cowl vent. Man this is/was a rusty car! Taylor brushed on two coats of POR 15 to the inside and out side of the inner fenders. Then we rubber undercoated the inside, and top coated the inner fenders with POR 15 Chassis Black. Our paint skills and efforts did not match the results I have seen from others with this formula, but we are learning...

We were able to get the engine installed over the weekend. I had both my boys and my wife working hard all do to try to get this girl back together. We got close... The fenders and hood still need to be installed/aligned. Some break lines/fuel lines and wiring. And the Dual exhaust for the new Sanderson headers.

I almost forgot... We decided to go ahead and upgrade to the Holley 390cfm 4 barrel and the Offenhauser intake. Which came in yesterday.

Attached Files: