Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. The static shots are not "offensive". Always cool to see historic cars, static or moving. Post away!!

2. partsrivet

partsrivet

Baney Prudhomme Indy 9-1967

[​IMG]

3. partsrivet

partsrivet

Thanks Dean! Tom Hoover, Indy 9-1967

[​IMG]

4. partsrivet

partsrivet

Darrell Droke's Mustang Indy, 1966[​IMG]

5. partsrivet

partsrivet

Roy Gay from Dickenson TX in his 67 Firebird at La Place, LA on May 7, 1967.[​IMG]

6. partsrivet

partsrivet

Eddie Hill's outfit at Willow Run in Oklahoma City, 8-1966. Surprised the trailer isn't purple also. [​IMG]

7. partsrivet

partsrivet

[/IMG]Wayne Burt from Tulsa is out on what appears to be Fred Rowsey's Banzai car during AA/FD runs at Opelousas LA in June of 1967. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  8. partsrivet

partsrivet

I always liked Carl Rowland's Fiat from Canada. Doing a bit of tuning here at the Nationals in 1967.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  9. partsrivet

partsrivet

Lots of shooters catching this guy at Tulsa. Wonder whatever happened to their pictures? September 1966[​IMG]

10. partsrivet

partsrivet

Posted this one on the Jr Stock thread a while back, but figured some of you guys hadn't seen it. This is Jim Hayter in the E/S taking on Walter Solomon in the F/S wagon at Tulsa in September 1967.[​IMG]

11. 296ardun

296ardun

This might actually be Jerry Card's coupe, very close to Sutherland's but with the Simca body...picture from WDIFL:
    [​IMG]

12. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

That must be Ercie under the umbrella. She was something back then. JC

13. afan

afan
    from michigan

The staging lane and pit photos are great. Next to Tom Hoover is Ricky Tope's Top Gas Dragster from Michigan. Tope was one of the few guys to run a 426 on gas - Hirata and Hobbs, Jim Minnick were notable others with this combo.

14. WCD

WCD

Snow won in 1966 and 67. In 66 he beat Dick Wohl's B/FD. In 67, he beat a C/D whose owner I cant recall. Snow didnt run a dragster until 1972.

15. rooman

rooman

Dean,
    the back of the Fiat changed post WW11 as well. Nearly all the Fiats used in Australian drag racing back in the early days were the second version.

Roo

16. rooman

rooman

I think the reference in that post was that Snow raced against a dragster in the final.

Roo

17. Larry T

Larry T

I don't think Ercie came along until Eddie started racing boats.

There was a purple Grand Prix in the local wrecking yard until about 10 years ago when they crushed out the yard. I always wondered if it was Eddie Hill's car, we're about 50 miles from Wichita Falls.

18. I did not know that the later Fiats also had the bustle back like the Simcas. Thanks Rooman.

After studying the two pics, I believe Ardun is right. The chopped off back end on the coupe in Doug's pic looks like the Card coupe.

19. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

The old Irwindale would do the same thing (LeMans start) But their's was a Power Puff race (girl vs girl) They would put the keys in front of the starting line run the christmas tree down then the ladies would run get the keys run back to their car get in put on the belts or seat belt, start the car and go. There was this one lady in a 64 or 65 Chevelle with Cragar wheels (fast car) but when she ran the power puff she would have to put on her saftey belts while the other woman in a Caddy would snap on the seat belt start and go while the Chevelle lady would take a lot longer to start and go. The crowd would be cheering for the Caddy lady but the Chevelle lady would just catch her at the finish line, just great fun times back then.

20. While traveling north on I-5 during a break from Uncle Sam here's OCIR under construction. Several months later would be there for opening night August 5, 1967 once again on leave prior to heading to Nam. Beswick's Pontiac in action at Lions.

Attached Files:

21. This is cool!

His brother, Don Gay, was a little more famous especially in Funny Car.

I had the pleasure of meeting Don several times, the last was at the '86 Gatornationals. Unfortunately Don past just a few years ago

22. Mr. Norm at Lions, Mr. Gasket Camaro Pomona Winternationals and Tommy Thompson NDRA event at Fremont.

Attached Files:

23. Drag bike and the VW funny car Durachrome Bug running at Irwindale, Doug Nash Bronco Buster (note gap under several wheels) on a pass at Lions.

Attached Files:

24. Austin A/G Pomona Winternationals, Dragsters and Jack Chrismans "topless" funny car during a Hot Rod Magazine Championship meet at Riverside Raceway.

Attached Files:

25. Race Artist

Race Artist

Thanks Mazooma ... I knew that you weren't the credit obliterater ... I just felt that it should be pointed out. I respect your integrity. Credits are not only the right thing to do but for the sake of history, which we're all here to soak up ... it at least provides a lead for others doing research on cars, people, races and locations. Thanks again Mazooma. Joel

26. WCD

WCD

The A/G Austin in the upper left was the former Herrera and Sons, later sold to fellow Montebello resident Dan Brouigrre (spl). Car was to be dubbed the Impoosble Dream and was raced all over So-Cal until it crashed at Pomona in the late 70's. Brouigrre's family owns a dairy in Montebello and they feature a drive through that sells their dairy products. Thier choculate milk and egg nog is the best. Local TV (Huell Housner) did a piece on the place. No mention of the Austin though (sic).

27. The rollover crash was in 1977 at Bakersfield with Dan Broguiere at the wheel, last reported on the whereabouts was Groucho's Performance in Sun Valley, Calif. as the current owners of the former race car.

28. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks for posting...the lime green (?) car with the big fin is George "Bushmaster" Schreiber's "Yellow Fang" that Ed Roth sponsored (first painted yellow, then green), and the purple car is the "Purple Gang" car of Rapp, Rossi and Lisa (I think)...Gary Gabelich drove.

(was never sure about exactly who owned the "Yellow Fang," Roth or the Bushmaster??)

29. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

#33297;
    " though being part of a team, there was much less time for photos than usual and I only managed a handful, mostly from the pits and staging lanes. "

Chuck, that along with your commentary is what makes these shots so spectacular. Hell, it's transforming almost as if I were there myself ! Tom S.

30. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

pirated and sold on the internet.......... ok I'll shut up, but I'd sure like to see them.

I was wondering if that was the Hirita & Hobbs car in #33300 and then I got to 33310 and shazam, there's the answer. Tom S.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012