Register now to get rid of these ads!

Screw dynamat. Peel and seel great sound dampening material....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Jun 29, 2012.

1. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Exactly. Also "Kool seal" mobile home roof sealant instead of latex paint is used. It's thicker so you roll it with a paint roller.

2. hkestes

hkestes

X2 on the Kool Seal, but make sure you wear a respirator when you open and mix in the micro beads. They are very small and will blow around with the slightest movement, you do not want lungs full of ceramic beads.

3. Good point they are really just like dust when you get them.

4. Just went to the local Lowes in Moses Lake and picked up 4 rolls of peel and seal. It should be enough to do the floor of my truck.

5. atch

atch

i may be the only one on the planet that's had bad luck with the foil faced bubble stuff, but on the inside roof of clarence, the stuff seperated between the top foil layer and the bubble layer. the foil is still up there, but the bubbles fell down. i used one of the 3M spray adhesives (which worked great) to put it in.

i may try the peel-n-seal and if it works perhaps paint clarence black again. the only (& i mean ONLY) reason that clarence is white is 'cause it's like a blast furnace in there in the summer when it's painted black. when it was black my friends called it the "easy bake oven".

a pic of it in the black version & BenD on the salt:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

A 2nd layer would add more mass between the noise source and your ears. So yes, there is an advantage. More mass = more sound deadening. Ditto for insulating against heat transfer.

7. HotRodHook

HotRodHook

Ok Guys, I hear its good for sound deadening, but what about the heat coming up from the floor and firewall ????

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

"Fat Mat" ? Haven't heard of that one...Tell us more, please.

Tnx,... 4TTRUK

9. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Google the name 'Fat Mat' ALL the sizes and information of the product is there. It is a higher end (compared to the roof material) item.

10. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Thanks for posting!

1950 Special Deluxe likes this.
  11. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I visited my local Lowes this morning. They do not stock the peel and seal. I have searched the Home Depot web site and I can not find it. I need to know the exact name of the product from Home Depot. Can anyone help me with the name or part number or post a link to the product on their site?

John

12. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

good stuff-been usin it for years-now you know why scott whitaker can afford all the high dollar toys he has

13. Blake84

Blake84

Its not at home depo it's at lowes.
    http://m.lowes.com/mt/www.lowes.com...Ntt=Peel+and+seal&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

Item #154017

I hope this helps

14. big creep

big creep

Hi folks! So I tried making some today and this is what I got.

Took this and added it to the paint. And this is what I got. I made a small amount to test it. I'm going to try that roof paint and just regular white paint tomorrow. I'll post the results for you guys then.

the top of the test panel has the ceramic in it, the bottom half just paint. and then i took the temp off of the cement mixer. my test panel was only on the cement mixer for about 30 minutes. so its not much to go by, im going to try this again, but for now i just wanted to share what i got.

Attached Files:

15. sr808

sr808

Thanks for sharing Blake! I'll have to try it.

16. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I took a ride in my buddys 50 Chevy the other day,it has this in the doors and on the roof,works as good as Dynomat,but with 110 degree heat,there was a slight tar smell...

17. 52HardTop

52HardTop

[​IMG]

There is also a product at the Home Depot that is just as good. It's under the Frost King name and is found in the HVAC section. It's used for insulating ductwork. I've used it in both of my cars. It works fine and has no odor. You'll find it in a plastic bag type of wrap. It also peels off and sticks to the surface. I used aluminum tape for the seams. Dom
    [​IMG]

18. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I "painted" Lizard Skin in my deuce and then covered the whole interior with regular foil bubble insulation from Home Depot. No smell and sure made the noise level go down. Radio??? Who puts a radio in a hot rod?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Like I told the kid, "Your musics not too loud, its just like OKC, it sucks!"

19. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

20. Great info here, gents! Saved me a lot of moolah, and probably a lot of others as well.

21. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Another use for peel and seal is as fender welting.

I wanted to use some kind of fender welting on my truck but didn't want to use the stock fabric type due to its water retaining problems.

Peel and Seal has a tar like black base with an adhesive on one side and dead soft aluminum on the other side. I cut it with sheet metal shears.
    [​IMG]

I started by cutting (3) 1-3/8" wide x 19" long strips and sticking them to the fender lip. I used an X-Acto knife to cut the bolt hole openings. The aluminum is thin and soft and cuts easily.

[​IMG]

This shows the sticky tar side of the Peel & Seal.
    [​IMG]

Once I installed the (3) strips I custom cut pieces for the corners. I also applied the Peel & Seal to the fender at the location of the step. This was one of the easiest projects I have done thus far on my truck.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  22. Roupe

Roupe

Thanks for all the info. Got to try the Peal and Seal.

23. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

John, my old man and I went over to Home Depot because there is no lowes close to us. We found a product called "Quick Roof". It was a little hard to find but was in the roofing section. It has a yellow package. It looks identical to the Peel & Seal and was the same size, material, and price. We will be doing the floors in my fathers 58 Buick this week. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildi...-re-roofing-material-122397.html#.UBfQwMmF-Po

24. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

After reading this entire post, I desided to jump on board, I started last night at the top of the firewall and running thur the entire car including doors, floors, trunk and roof. I found the BIG roll at lowes for 86$ and Im using a hand roller to burnish it to the panels, also picked up a big roll of alluminum tape for all the joints and edges.
    Some Questions by others is weight this box says it ways 32 lbs and thats 100sq. feet of it. And there is no smell, I left a piece out side in the sun yesterday 97 degrees, and still no smell.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Attached Files:

25. looks killer!

26. Deadted88

Deadted88

Is anybody putting this over POR 15? Wondering if it sticks as good.

27. slammed

slammed

Hey FNG, do the proper introduction. The surface is clean on the Por-15 hell ,yes this Peel-n-Seal stuff will stick!

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

Not to hijack this thread but...55 dude, can we see more pics of the ride in your avatar?

29. tgd61

tgd61

I just did my model A project in the Eastwood Thermo Barrier. Holy shit its a fn' mess!! The car is inside a garage that never gets over 90 deg. It's dripping melting, door pieces are sliding leaving behind skids etc. What's it gona do when parked in the 95 deg direct sun!!:mad:

30. Blake84

Blake84

That's awkward. I had mine in Palmdale 110 degrees baking in the sun all day and nothing. No smell vertical pieces on door were fine etc. don't know what is different about yours. Sorry to hear that