Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville 2012 Roll call!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Jun 2, 2012.

1. TinShed

TinShed

So, I have a new question. What is best to wear for clothing? All the talkk of white pants over jeans an long sleeve UV shirts and 108 temps with nipples showing has me wondering what to bring.

I'm a shorts and shirt with a ball cap guy with sun screen. But I am with my 8 year old and if he gets burnt I will have way less fun and have explaining to do.

Tim

2. I have worn shorts every year past, BUT, be certain to sun screen the beejeebus out of your legs. I'm talking some of that ridiculous high SPF stuff. The reflection off of the salt (even in the shade) can really sneak up on you quickly. My first year I thought I'd be the "tough guy". My undercarriage was burnt by 10am. I applied sunscreen, but, it was too late. I was pretty uncomfortable by 3pm.
    Also, keep in mind that the reflection can mean things like a burnt underside of your chin, nose, ears, and up your short pant legs. For the fare skinned, I'd be weary of short sleaves, and shorts. A wide brimmed straw hat is also good to keep the back of your neck, and forehead safe.
    Sunglasses are also a must. It gets headache inducing bright out there. Light colors are also good, but, I've worn dark clothes every year, and been ok. I also enjoy the heat though. Just use your best judgement for you, and your son. You should be ok. If you find you forgot anything, you should be able to acquire it at the vendors (hats, sunglasses, headbands) at a price.

Also, an EZ-Up is almost mandatory if you intend to sit down, and spectate. I've seen very few people that can endure a full day sitting out in the sun. Don't even try to be one of them.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  3. I am a shorts person too but at the salt my two times I wore my light OD hiking pants, a breathable poly blend. For years I have worn either a Columbia boonie hat or a BIG FLOPPY straw hat when out in the sun. This year I bought a Columbia long sleeve UV shirt, light as gauze. Says it is worth 30SPF. From my mountainbiking I have a modular Bolle sunglass system. The only place I can wear the darkest polarized lenses is on the salt and even then it looks like my normal clear lenses it is so bright. Spray sunscreen is best, I am more likely to re-apply it vs greasy shit I gotta rub on. Dont fear going commando, when in Jamaica and Panama with the Guard I found that freedom is not just something we try to spread around the world!

4. GARY?

GARY?

Did I say I'm excited, I'M FREEKIN' EXCITED!!!!!

light colors, long sleeves. Big straw hat.

Black socks or shoes and you'll think yer feet are on fire.

Hey Tman, Maybe I can share some Death Valley Hooch with the Scots if my man shows up.

5. Gary, Tim and I were talking tonight. I HAVE NEVER been so excited to get the hell out of town as this year at Bonneville!

6. mrdodge

mrdodge

Don't worry, we've got it all here. It's been pissin down all week and the forecast is more right through to Tuesday when we fly out. Some of the advance guard left this arvo and will be somewhere over Niue about now. I'm buzzin like crazy and still got 5 sleeps.......:D

7. I was lucky enough to meet Tim last month in his home town and he is a great guy. I wish I could be there at Bonneville, I'm fascinated by the place, he'll even my business (Bonneville Signs & Graphics ) is named after the place! I would like to take him up on his offer to maybe help the crew out next year! Good luck guys, and hit the throttle as hard as you can and take that Y block to the limit!
    ~H.R.D.~

8. Geoff, you are welcome to join us any time!

Tech in one week. everything seems to be a week away. I'm so ready to get the hell out of here.

two more days of work. :mad:

9. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I am so ready to fly outa here, yesterday was the second hottest day ever recorded in okla 112................. only 110 today and the rest of the week over 100, we are worn out.. the car is loaded the schedule is clear, we are on kill for this year and dying to get started on 2012 ....pass the salt:cool:

Attached Files:

10. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

we leave on Monday with all the stuff for the meet, shirts, programs, rule books, cones ect cant wait.

11. I see a "getting anxious" trend here. :rolleyes: Yeah, me too.:D

12. That's a damn nice looking roadster. I will be sure to check that out. I will be slinking around the pits.

13. kaui

kaui
    from SJC calif

Curbspeed, I will be in Tucson today thru Monday visiting family, then home and pack the sedan and head for the salt on Thursday. My Kids told me about some car show Sat night.

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I got a couple of pairs of $14 plastic sunglasses that fit over my sunglasses.
    Remember the scene from "Airplane" where Robert Stack swiftly removes his sunglasses to reveal another pair of sunglasses? That is now me.
    I noticed at Bonneville two years ago that my sunglasses lacked any protection from the side light and also the salt is sooo bright that no sunglasses manufacturer ever considered that any customers would be faced with such harsh conditions.
    So, after getting these in the mail off of Ebay, I tried them out and damn, what a relief for just driving the freeways. They fit easily over your regular sunglasses.
    The only problem is it's darn near impossible to see anything small inside the car or small instruments like the clock on the dash.
    Hey, it worked for Rex Kramer...:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SszrLYK_LA0

photos off of Ebay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MrModelT

MrModelT

That might just be an understatement :rolleyes:.....I'm anxious as I have 5 days to finish the T and get her ready for the road... :eek:

16. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

we call those retirement goggles here haha. however i have a pair too, i have been buying the blueblockers at the sunglasses hut out there for years, he is a great guy and keeps your info on file. and they really work, no squinting at all with them,. I get the clip ons for my glasses...

17. Ole don

Ole don

We call these slip-overs Geezer glasses here. Since I am now a card carrying Geezer, they look right at home on me. Walk around on the salt for an hour, then put these on. You can feel the whole top of your head relax.

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

the fella with the hat that's waving to the camera is some SoCal joker by the name of Dan Gurney........

[​IMG]

19. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I too am working on the sunglasses issue. I'll try the double pair route this evening. Note: for any of you that wear the baggy cargo shorts, don't neglect the other concerns caused by the highly reflective properties of the salt. Sam

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

2010...opening day, 3 hours before the "driver's meeting"

[​IMG]

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

God, Mazooma, you're killing me with these pics! I love it.

22. I am useless for the next few days. Gotta get throught the weekend and not run anyone out of gas (stations) and then two days of relaxing paperwork.

23. TinShed

TinShed

Are we there yet?

24. t5stang91

t5stang91

leave in 1 week , then riding 1500 miles in 2 days. I am so excited i can't stop talking about what it may be like at work(1 st time). these pictures are getting me so excited!!!!

25. gas pumper

gas pumper

There's been a sunglasses vendor at the Salt the last couple of years. Had over your glasses sunnies that don't look like the gezzer ones. I got two pair, just in case the golf cart was fast enough to eject one set:D

Frank

26. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

he is always there and the blue blockers work great 9clip ons) stay on great i have two pair also he keeps your info in case you ever need any more. no squinting with his ...pass the salt......

27. ... lets git it on !

Attached Files:

28. I bought a pair from that guy a few years ago. They fit over my regular glasses and they sort of wrap around the sides. I love em and only use them for the salt.

29. Bring her to the Friday HAMB BBQ!~!!!!!!!:cool:

30. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heck, bring her for the raffle. We'll save the salt for sure.