Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some Tri 5 project advise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whosyurdaddy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. whosyurdaddy

whosyurdaddy
    from Indy

I need some advise from some tri 5 guys or anybody with an opinion. I've run into a guy wanting to sell a 55 Chevy , the car is completely down to the bones at the moment . All metal work is done and appears to be done right , dash , firewall and roof have been painted . The front suspension has been rebuilt with front disc added. I'm going to go inventory parts today but I was told all ext. trim is with the car , new rebuilt 605 power steering box . never run 350 w/ turbo 400 , complete original interior ( needs redone ) , still in the box vintage air and so on . I know there is a lot of money to be spent to complete this car but what I like is I get to see this thing without paint so I know what I'm starting with . The guy wants $8500 for the car so I'm looking for opinions and advise on what to ask and look for . I'll update this after I've seen the car in person . Thanks

2. Deuces

Deuces

Be sure to take and post lots of pictures!!!.... ;)

3. n847

n847

In my opinion if its all there its a pretty good deal, if you can afford it! It comes down to things like the condition of the trim, bumpers, glass, etc. That interior could get expensive but with all the add ons you're getting I'd say it makes up for it? Are the new trans and engine mounts set up already? When he put on the disc brakes did he put on a new master cylinder? How are the wheels and tires? Just a few things to think about!

4. squirrel

squirrel

Think about if the stuff that has been done, and the parts that are included, are "the way you want it". If you really like the direction the car is going, then it is probably a good deal. If you would have done it different, then take into account what it would cost you to do it your way, and deduct that from the value of the car.

5. boutlaw

boutlaw

And, do you have a covered/inside place to park the car and parts while you complete the restoration. Do you have the time and money to complete it in a reasonable amount of time. Is your wife/significant other on board with the project, because it will pretty much take up your free time and weekends. Just stuff to think about.

BOutlaw

6. racemad55

racemad55

Body style? sedan,hardtop,conv,nomad ? will reflect price!

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

If the body mounts, braces, rockers and floor pans have no rust issues, body work has been completed along with all the parts you have described it doesn't sound like a bad deal. Without seeing pictures its still hard to tell.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  8. From what you describe, he probably has that much in it already.Sounds reasonable to me, these things aren't cheap. And sounds like all the dirty work is already out of the way.

9. what body style? i would find someone you trust to go with and CRAWL under,around,through... easy to hide things with paint. i purchased a vehicle that all the door,hood and trunk jams had been cut in, but the guy selling it finally admited it had been done a dozen years prior and had no idea the info on paint so probably wouldn't match if we had painted the rest. just things to consider.

10. whosyurdaddy

whosyurdaddy
    from Indy

Update , I was unable to meet owner last weekend so we're set up for Saturday . The car is a 2 door post and thanks for the input I now have a few more questions.

11. HawgHead

HawgHead

If all the body work has really been done. (all the rust and bad panels have been replaced) like 55dude said you can hid a lot of evil with paint and bondo. Other than that is sounds like it just needs reassembled and some interior work done. If that's the case I'd buy it and run like hell.

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

sounds like a decent deal

13. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

These are my favorite kinda buys. Someone else does the expensive hard work and gets tired of it. I've bought many a car that's had the metal work done and just needs finished. BUT you absolutely need an inventory of the parts that come with. A lot of times it's the nickle and dime stuff that drives you crazy. On a 55 you can find just about anything. On some less popular cars or more rare ones, finding things like trim and interior parts is next to impossible.

14. mailerguy1

mailerguy1

A friend told me when I was looking for my 51 chev to ask myself this question, is this what i really want, or will I settle for this? If it isn't what you really want even if it is the best deal on earth you may regret the purchase later.... just my 2 cents

15. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Who wouldn't want a 2 door post 55 Chevy! :D

16. squirrel

squirrel

I'd rather have a hardtop....so I waited until I found a hardtop. It's a good point though, make sure it's the car you want, not just a good deal.

17. scrmkr

scrmkr
    from memphis tn

Lots of good advice. I agree if you don't have the expertise to check out the body and work that has been done, take someone with you that does.

And....I'd vote for a post car.:rolleyes: Just saying..

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If the body is bare and you can see it's straight, rust free, or all rust repaired, I can't imagine it wouldn't be a good purchase for a '55 2dr post with a new engine and trans. If it's primered or you can't see the way the bodywork is done, you'll need to really look it over closely.
    Make sure ALL the trim is not only there, but useable. Trim can really add up fast, and cost a lot. Interior can be spendy if you're going for an original look, but if it's headed towards custom or modded it can be a bit cheaper without all the detailing of stock. Would be nice if any of the interior was there, even if it's all in need of restoration, just because it saves some work.

19. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

If it was down here in oz,i'd buy it over the phone,you guys are spoilt rotten, Gaz!