Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 in 40 Ford ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LUCKY R, Aug 1, 2012.

1. LUCKY R

LUCKY R
    from Denver

Was wanting to know if you put a Ford 302 into a 40 Ford sedan or coupe
    (using Chassis Engineering components ) If the stock steering box wil clear header and motor mount ? Needing info from someone with this set up.
    CR.

P.S. Chassis Eng. is closed until the 6th for the NSRA nationals.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya You can, but not without going into the firewall. A bronco or fox body pan will help too. i can't remember what the deal was with exhaust, but I'm pretty sure most manifolds from the sixties and seventies will work, and I'bet the 5.0 Mustang headers will as well.

3. charlieb66

charlieb66

Find a 302 with the short water pump and housing, 94-95 Mustang 92-93 Tbird and V8 Explorer. The Explorer will have the better heads, you don't want the "P" heads as header selection is a problem.

4. 39 Ford

39 Ford

My friend just did one using a Mustang II front end and a modified bronco pan. The car did not need firewall modifications as the MII provided extra clearance.. The car has an auto trans and air and uses a 40 radiaitor, the owners only complaint was the Air is too cold!

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a 283 fits great, no problems with the steering box ;)

6. If you use the block hugger type exhaust manifolds from a pre-70 Mustang, it greatly improves clearance around the sides of the block.

The 302 swap is common in 54 Ford cars and one of the big bugaboos is clearing the steering box with the exhaust, and there are a couple of early SBF hugger type manifolds that really tighten things up.

I have built a 40 Ford, but never with a SBF. I would think though, that having that distributor up front would be a plus when it comes to clearance.

7. Weasel

Weasel

My '40 has a 302. I chose to relocate the radiator further forward to run an electric fan and shroud and not modify the firewall. Not sure about stock steering and header clearance as I have Mustang II front end. You can use a shorty waterpump to help with firewall and radiator clearance issues. I had a '40 coupe with stock steering and SBC and it cleared....

8. Weasel

Weasel

Here's a photo....

[​IMG]

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The best advice so far...

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

How about a picture of the radiator mods.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sorry gang, it's been 25 years since I last did this swap, but a Ford small block isn't going into a '35-'40 Ford with the stock front suspension and steering without takin' a chunk of firewall with it. The only chance would be with a dry sump oiling system with an external, belt driven pump. A mustang II front end as shown will ease allot of the clearance issues though.

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My '40 took a 302 pretty easily, but the divot in the firewall left from the 390/C6 combination probably helped. I have an axle under it, and a substantial notch in the firewall. Speedway makes (or at least made at one time, long ago...) some long tube headers that work.

13. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I'm doing that swap right now,
    And I ended up taking a chunk of firewall out,
    Than realized I took out too much.
    my E fan is already in front of the radiator.

A oil pan from a 90 lincoln has the needed rear sump.
    The stock steering box doesn't seem to be a problem yet,
    but a 525 box that will go in anyway.
    I'll get some pics tonight.
    TP

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

15. hevymtl

hevymtl
    from Iowa

We put a late model 5.0 from and 88 mustang in my dad's 40 with early ford front end and orginal steering. Had to step the firewall and tweek the drivers side 5.0 shorty header a little to clear the stearing and the bell housing for the C4. Didn't cut any cross members either. Will try and get some photos on.

16. Lanny02

Lanny02
    from Oklahoma

I have just installed a 302 EFI from a 91 crown victoria in a 39 ford pickup set at CE's recommended dimensions for CE SBF mounts, (22.25 inch back from front of frame and 3/4 inch down from top inside of frame.) Removed 4 1/4 inches of firewall. With standard 39 radiator mounted, I have 4 1/4 inch clearance from front flange on standard water pump to radiator core. Installed 93 Mustang rear discharge headers but looks like DS will definitely interfere with steering and am looking for center drop hugger headers. With standard 91 302 dual sump pan, IFS x-member had to be notched 1 inch deep in the middle to clear front sump. Oil pump comes within 1/2 inch of bottom of front sump, so bronco pan or other totally rear sump pan won't gain you much if anything clearance wise. If you use an AOD tranny like I did, it gets even more interesting. Worth it though.

a40lover likes this.
  17. Actually, with it's Flat Collector - this Patriot H8482-1 is the tightest fitting SBF header on the market :D
    [​IMG]