Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone still "Hold" a car on someones word anymore??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Jul 30, 2012.

1. cheveey57

cheveey57

Living in NY,I once bought a car in Iowa. Called the an and he held it on my word. I flew out there and drove it home. That being said a man's word is held high in my book. If a man's word is broken then he's dead to me and thats the end of it.

2. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm hearing two different scenarios here. To me, it's all about whether or not you have a deal.

Scenario #1, buyer says, “I’ll take it. Can you hold it for a couple days?” OK, he’s made a commitment. So long as I’m getting a good vibe, I’ll give him a couple days. Scenario #2, guy says, “I’m interested. Can you hold it a couple days until I take a look?” No way. That guy hasn’t committed to anything. Best I can offer: call me when you’re ready to hit the road—if it hasn’t already sold, I’ll give you the courtesy of holding it until your ETA.

But showing up without a down payment? That’s like going to the prom without a condom.

3. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

4. uncle buck

uncle buck

Brings back memories to me .......

5. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

I'm doing it now--my Econoline was on E-@#@ and was won by a non paying bidder---I was getting ready to relist--my boss builds high end Camero's and not old cars,and the econoline is not his style--(I thought)---he asked me to not relist and to wait until he returns from a trip--no price was spoken, but he does have a cycle I want--so I'm waiting to see if a deal will be done

6. Well, now someone wants me to hold some used parts for them until the 10th damn it what do people think ...send a deposit! I hate feeling like this...............

7. I presently have a deal in which I'm buying a project from someone in Mass on "our" word. I'm from VA, so I asked if he would give me a week to get someone to look at the car and then either make the deal or not. A friend of mine from up that way went to look at it, we discussed it, I then spoke with the seller and we made a deal. He wants nothing up front and I'll pick it up a week from this Sat. I did ask repeatedly whether he wanted a deposit - he said no, my word was good enough. Unless I get screwed a week from Sat, which I really hope does not happen and I doubt, so far, so good. He is a member of both the Fordbarn and here ....

8. outlaw256

outlaw256

put up a car on craigslist.project car that needed bunches of work. nobody around here wanted it.a boy called from 75 miles away. said he wanted it. i asked him question after question about his ability because he sounded really young.i was very careful not to offend him. but i did try to talk him out of it.i didnt want him to feel like i lied and he got burned. he asked me if i would hold it until he got paid..told him sure. well nobody wanted it anyway! damned if he didnt call me 2 weeks later and asked how to get to my house from the interstate.he was only about 3 miles from the house. he showed up with a trailer and we loaded it up. he planted money in my hand said goodbye and away he went. i bet i stood in the shop door for a hr.tring to find out what just happened.but, yeah i will hold a car if i think they arent full of shit.got burned a few times but then again i have actually forgotten about a few deals ive made and that makes me want to kick my own ass.!never on a car but on partsi said i wanted.

9. As mentioned... Money talks, bullshit walks!

Many of us want to be a nice guy but in today's world you just can't and it's always someone else that hardens you. While some guy is telling you he's taking your car, his eyes are still keeping a look-out for that better deal. If he finds that better deal you're shit-outta-luck! If not, well then he's stuck or will settle for your car.

In other words... You become sloppy seconds!

10. RTS1

RTS1

I used to, but not anymore! Too many times I have been burned because the guy "definately wants it" and either never show up or shows up and the "I changed my mind" story. I went to buy my car and told the guy I would have my wife bring the money on Monday. Unfortunately, I was out of town on Monday and got word that my 5 week old grandson passed away suddenly. I called the guy and told him that I would have to pass for a few weeks and if he got a seller, don't hold it for me. He said when I was ready to purchase the car, it would still be there. I had given him a small deposit when I looked at it the first time. After the funeral and all the problems were resolved, I called him after about 5 weeks and asked if he still had the car. He said that it was still there and if I wanted it, come get it. I brought the requested amount and tried to pay him the full price. He insisted that the deposit be part of the total price. I figured I would just "give" him that amount for holding it and he said no, that under the circumstances, that he felt it was the right thing to do. So, I purchased the car without ever starting it or driving it. He was a man of honor, so I totally trusted his word about the car. And, he was totally right! The car was a dream to drive and own. It is not totally 100% the way I want it, but it is so close, I can't complain. I will finish it off the next few months. So, I TRY to be like he is, but sometimes people really try my patients! Especially from the Internet!

11. Just e-mailed the guy that wants me to hold the Stude fins for a $50 deposit ..wow it felt weird......I hate the feeling of not having faith in fellow rodders....guess gray beards need to change with the times.....

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Without a deposit I wont hold anything. If they're serious they should be willing to put 10% down and not worry they'll lose it.

13. CLM

CLM

I have been burned myself holding a truck for someone.

However, I have a lady holding a truck right now for me. Its a low mileage, one owner, barn kept '65 f600 that she was going to send to scrap after the last guy she was holding it for never came back. She is downsizing after her husband passed and wants to see it saved. I had just spent my extra toy fund buying a boat from her, so she waited almost 2 months for our schedules to line up so that I could check the truck over better. Gave her $200 at that point because it made me feel better about her holding it. Have since arranged transportation for mid August and will pay the rest then.

I am super excited that she was willing to do that. Plus I am only going to be into it for scrap price. Plan to turn it into a car hauler for future projects and a friends Thunderbolt clone. What better way to get a '64 Thunderbolt clone to the track than a '65 F600 ramp truck?

14. I hope that everyone that has someone holding a car or truck is good to your word..I would like to think you all are..I have a feeling that the snakes of witch we speak are not going to reply to this thread!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  15. Unfortunately those are usually the ones that say "not me, I wouldn't be like that"!

16. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Long story short version. I bought a project out of Wisconson after a agreed price was set over a couple of days money was sent and an offer of a vacation spot to stay at along with cost of transport. Everything went wrong at the sellers end and contact was lost I chalked it up to a bad experiance. Eighteen months later I got a call from the guy with a lot of apoligies and he can not deliver so I rent a trailer and take a weekend and drive out 17 hours later I have my car along with a better feeling for a guy I didn't know for following through. Anytime you deal with someone especially long distance you just don't know how it will turn out.
    I also bought a 27 T off here and it was one of the best experiances ever because the seller was a stand up guy! He even helped with someone to bring it my way!

17. 58sled

58sled

I never really get into these threads but this one hit a nerve

I've been on both sides of this situation and I have to say I do first person with the cash wins.

I found a '57 2dr post, a car I had wanted all my life, and stopped to talk to the guy. The car wasnt really for sale but after talking to him he he agreed to sell it to me. I asked him for a few weeks to get my money together. He agreed and said no big deal its been here forever and will be here in a few weeks. I stayed in contact about every few days. By the second week he wasnt returning my calls. I started to get suspicious but I'm a man of my word and got the money together and went by there cash in hand and trailer hooked up, only to find out he sold it to some one else. A car that wasnt even really for sale became a hot item. I layed down a few choice words and left.

I've also tried holding items for people only to get burned. Now its first come first served. I dont even care if one person gets to my drive way before the next.

Times have changed and a persons word is only as good as the person.
    In god we trust every one else pays in cash.

18. Old Dude

Old Dude

A lot of them out there. Want everything & don't have cash too buy. Sometimes they come too buy after you make a deal on phone, and you are not making any money on it, but want to sell because you have just gotten another project. You have a finished good looking car, that has taken quite a few trophy's, and they say, I didn't want a builder Car. It happened to a friend of mine.

19. Luke4554

Luke4554

I suppose that question is implying youre willing to sell something..

Thats the hardest part for me and my dad.. everything we would potentially sell we like to much.. and for the money we could make from it we'd rather see it sitting in the yard lol.. I never understood how you guys can build a car and sell it. By the time i die ill have a warehouse full of crap im sure..

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I just "bought" a 1954 car. The seller promised to deliver it to my house (using his boss's dealer plate) along with some spare parts. The car is an easy 20 minute drive from my house. He says it runs perfect. I have the cash in my pocket and will happily hand it over when the seller delivers as he promised. The problem is, I know the guy has a problem following through. So to avoid hassles I won't pay him until he delivers the car.

Does this make me a bad person?

21. nope, had a dickhead come drive my off topic car wich was a very nice car that i built,he drove around,grinded my gears, said oh ill give you full asking price, well that turned into ill be back tomorow for it,to,i want it but next week ill have the money to,never heard from him again. screw that cap. money talks.

also had a freind that wanted a bagger truck that i had,i even took the price down for him just so the truck could stay close to me, waited and waited till i just sold it to some guy

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I probably got a little out of line on a response to one of my posts but what I took from the person who responded is they would not hold a car to be looked at after talking on the phone if someone came over quicker,many times I have called and found out something is still available so I say I am on the way but someone calls right after me that is closer and is sold to them before I get there. I just cant stand people who dont have the decency to tell the next caller that there is someone coming to look at it and you are next in line if I dont want it.

23. I did once, and never again... Guy came and checked out my 55 F100... Agreed on price shook hands on it... needed a week to get his funds together... Calls me four hours later and backs out... Didn't get a deposit... seemed like a square enough guy... lesson learned, If they dont give me a non-refundable deposit... I don't hold anything..

24. First guy with the cash gets the item. Ive had people come by and I would price something. Then they would come back years later and expect the same price. So anymore I always be sure to tell them that its todays price and tomorrows price might be higher or lower or it might not even be for sale tomorrow. Ive only had one guy who stated he would be back actually come back and buy.

25. Ive never had someone calling saying they where on the way and another call that could get there sooner. If that ever happened I would tell the second caller that he couldnt come and look until after a certian time. Like if it was noon and the first caller was two hours away. I would tell the second caller not to come until four. And If the first guy bought I would tell the second guy it was sold.

26. It wasnt a car . and most deals ive made on the HAMB Classifieds where great. However I listed a stromberg carb. and a potential buyer called me and stated he would buy it if I paid the shipping. I stated no carb $100 + $16 shipping. He agreed and stated he would send the money on friday. the money didnt come and I contacted him and he made some excuse about his girlfriend didnt send the money on the specified day. But the money order was in the mail. I told him he didnt keep the bargain and I was going to sell it to the next guy on the list. i told hin I would just send his money order back when it arrived. It never arrived. I also had a 64 ford bell housing for a 5 bolt 289 with a C4. the first guy was flaky kept going back & forth and trying to get me to sell cheaper. I finally just told him it wasnt for sale anymore. The second guy sent the money and a little extra. I do have problems with shipping it seems im just not very good at shipping items. I had a Hamber in Kentucky wantng a 52 chev coup trunk lid. I was going in the semi truck to Mt Vernon Indiana to pick up a load. I told him where I would be loading at midnite. When I was driving out from the plant he showed up at the same time. We shined my spotlite on the deck lid and he produced to cash. He told me he was planning on driving to montana when I answered his Hamb advertizment. 99% of the guys on the Hamb are stand up people.

27. For sale::1949 Ford F-1 survivor PICK-UP,,, flathead 6, 4 speed 30+ year old primer near perfect box, straight old survivor truck..new brakes rebuilt carb runs and drives..perfect glass wiper even works....Sick of broken promises and sob stories to hold for anyone..was $7800 ****NOW $6500 firm**** FIRST PERSON TO PAY WINS!! Truck is in north central Wisconsin call 715-793-4283 or email for more information...This is how I changed my cr$%&list ad hope the jerk that had me hold it saw it!!

28. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Ive been trying to sell my 54 merc for awhile now, and it seems every fng on here emails me and tells me they want the car and are interested in it and want my number or address so they can come look at it and buy it, and can i hold it till the weekend or the following one. I canceled plans, told my boss I couldnt come in for ot because I was waiting for someone and out of about 50 of these messages on the hamb.or phone calls. I only got 1 guy that actually showed up to look at it, and his wife decided she wanted a pick up truck instead.I also sold a tbird.. and the guy sent me a deposit.. then it took almost 2 months before he was able to get here to pick it up.. meanwhile I had a guy 20 mins away that called me the day after I agreed to the first then every week to see if the guy backed out so he could buy it.. That was the last time.. not holding anything anymore..These days it seems with the internet there are more idiots and jokers wasting peoples time. 10 years ago never had this much BS selling a car or anything..

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have lost out many times on situations like that and there is a saying that it was not meant to be but is still irretating.-p;-p;-

30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That's the way I see it and I would never ask anyone to hold anything for me without me putting money down. If I can't look at something until the weekend, I'll call before I leave and I always tell the seller, if somebody wants to buy it before I get there, sell it and give me a call. If I feel I have to see it before I buy it, I can't guarantee the guy a sale and I don't want to feel that I owe him something for holding it and missing a sale.