Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air Ride moisture trap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Jul 30, 2012.

1. usmile4

usmile4

In doing a search on ideas for my air system, I see many people are running a moisture trap between the compressor and tank. I'm trying to locate a trap for my system but can't find what I'm looking for. I need one rated higher than 175 psi, with 1/4" inlet and with a manual drain that I can put a hose on through the notch cover.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to locate such a beast?

Thanks, Bill

2. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Maybe check with a compressor company, TIP, Ing. Rand,etc.

3. These are simple and cheap: http://www.mcmaster.com/#air-compressor-dryers/=imt7wq

4. usmile4

usmile4

5. Yikes!

That's a lot of pressure. Is your compressor even capable of that PSI? And do you really need it?

I suppose if you are hopping your car or if you were to put one of these inline to an individual airspring, the shock load would exceed 125 psi. In all the systems I have installed the tank pressure is 125 max.

6. They normally recomend putting the air dryer after the tank with a 25 foot coil of copper so the moisture can return from a vapor to a liquid. I used a 25' x 3/8 copper in my freezer and then to the trap and I have ZERO moisture in my lines.

7. I would do everything possible to keep moisture out of the tank. That means removing moisture from the supply line between the tank and the compressor.

In my previous life I was a machine builder. I specialized in fabrication and installation of pneumatic assembly line machines. Keeping the air clean and dry was paramount in making anything last. A blown line or sticky valve might ruin your day but a ruptured tank from rust will take your life.

8. gas pumper

gas pumper

the old fashioned way of taking the water out was to have a wet tank first after the compressor. This lets the air cool and condense out the moisture and any oil from the compressor. and a drain on the bottom. Then pipe over to another storage tank that will stay a lot drier. But also with a drain. Both tanks should be protected with check valves to keep air flow in one direction. Take all your air supply off the dry tank or second tank.

In the winter, we would put a little alcohol in the first tank to prevent freezing and also it helps absorb moisture.

9. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Man this is confusing, it's for an Ride system right? So you want something that'll mount in the trunk of your car?

10. pride63

pride63

watching this with interest as ridetech arent replying to my emails on this .

11. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

Hey! I think I talked to you today about this, I work at Air Lift. Check SMC

12. usmile4

usmile4

BlownMerc...it was probably me...I mean how many called about this today!

This is an image from one of the threads I found in my search. I'm going to set up a ball valve on the bottom of the tank and I want to find the water separator like the red one in this image.

[​IMG]

13. pride63

pride63

im just going to fit 2 range rovers ones in the airlines to my valves

14. wisconsinjimmy

wisconsinjimmy

What about an air-dryer from a Big Truck they are electric and automatically dump the moisture at a specific level

15. pride63

pride63

they are quite big, range rovers are small enough to fit nicely