Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jalopy Showdown Invitational Thanks & Sorry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarylarry, Jul 30, 2012.

1. scarylarry

scarylarry

I'm probably the luckiest "show promoter" in the world. I get to do a show that NOBODY cares if it rains & everybody proved Saturday what badasses you all are! Thank YOU so much for letting me make the Invitational work, if you didn't show, it wouldn't work. This was the Showdown I would prefer to do, but the museum does not benefit anywhere near as much, so I guess I'll stick with they original plan.
    Friday morning we set up our camper and nobody really much showed up! It was so nice Friday not having to deal with the instant little city that usually happens for the Showdown. We had a handful of campers, hung out & had a good time (thought I'd be lying if I said I was not a little nervous). We had also quit a few people call/email that they could not make it...hmmm.
    Saturday morning comes & my trusty (though light) crew shows up...and people trickle in, no line at the gate starting a 4 A.M., nothing. There again, turns out to be kinda nice as none of my volunteers have to really have to bust their ass to make it happen. Finally cars roll in & I start to relax. I've forgotten how much fun it was in the earlier years, not trying to figure out where to put a line of cars that extends out on the road when the parking is full, no rockerbilly wanna be drama in the camping area...though they have learned how we handle that & either dont show up or have gotten with the program, no crying over "why cant my car get in", trying to get people to not drive through the big muddy hole from hell in the infield, normal show stuff.
    As it turns out I enjoyed myself! Had a chance to actually look at the cars I invited & 85% or so actually showed up, thank you. We really do have some great cars here when get to look at them as a single group. Got to stop & talk with some people...more than "thanks for coming, how have you been". We were just about ready for our first "real" hot rod track time, all the cars on the track together, and then THE RAIN!! Everyone hung in...we had a great time after because we know how to make the best out of what we have...it's REAL hot rodding! Thanks to the 700 or so people that showed on a god awful hot July Saturday to make something special happen. Thanks to the guys & girls that have helped me make this show run pretty smooth for 10 years. Thanks to Ryan & the HAMB for being here. If a show works, you will know it by the response here. Also is the single place I've met most of my hot rod buddies all over the country (and I'm sure it is the same for you too) Pretty amazing when you think about it. I promise there will not be another Invitational...though I would not be too scared at this point. O.K. maybe if I make it to 20 years! Makes this one a little more special if you were there, huh?
    And my one big sorry to you after my long winded post, REALLY sorry we couldn't get that track time in. It would have been so cool for everyone to see & hear the sprints, stockcars, & midgets/modified run in groups. PLEASE come back for the Convention to watch them run if you are fairly close emmr.org The Showdown Drags are gonna kick ass this year with the Lyndwood gathering, altered wheelbase running together, East Coast Gassers and YOU racing! See you there!!

2. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

thanks Larry,had a great time

3. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

Thanks Larry, this was an awesome show. I don't think anybody cared about or even noticed a little heat and humidity and the monsoon rain. It was a pleasure walking around and talking to people that I met in previous years and meeting and talking to new friends this year. This is what your shows are all about. Hands on people that live and die traditional hot rods, customs and vintage race cars. Admittedly, I haven't been to every car event in the world, but I've been to more than a few; and your little show in Latimore Valley ranks way up in there as one of the best. I have to admit that I was kinda bummed that the vintage cars didn't get a chance to run; but hey, we can always do this again. Thanks again Larry. Keep on doing what your doing, its perfect.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I for one had an incredible time! It was nice to meet you Larry and I had a good time talking with ya Friday and Saturday.

Cars were awesome and the people are even better! Love me some central PA!!!

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Thank you Larry and all the of the crew that made it happen....

This was my favorite show to date.... After swearing I wouldn't be getting muddy all these years.... I went on the track without a chance of taking my usual high line to stay dry..... felt like a bunch of friends out running in a cornfield having a blast!

Thank you for making it happen!
    Zach

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hell yes, good times were had by all, thanks Larry, Kim and crew!!! See you soon,

Zach and Heidi, thanks a bunch for your hospitality, always a pleasure!

Jeff, sorry about your phone, hahaha!

7. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Thanks, Larry. It was really great and, despite my broken motor mount and soaked feet, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience..
    My happiest moment of the day was immediately after the downpour stopped, hearing the first car fire up and circle the track, instantly ending my feeling of gloom and despair and giving hope for the rest of the day. Then the sun came out.:D
    Thanks!

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I just let it dry and cracked the mud off. Made for a good ending on that video and a POV of what it's like in that 34!!!

9. scarylarry

scarylarry

My other sorry goes out to Big John for the dinger the guys easy-up put in his roof. Sucks, but stuff happens. Clark & Jr have offered to fix it up & it will be right when finished. Thanks for not having a stroke on the infield!

10. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

Thanks again Larry...this show ( and the hamb ) are the reason i built my jalopy coupe. Had a great time.

11. Thanks again Larry to you and your crew, all was good, a nice relaxing day!

12. Brian C

Brian C

Hmmmm I think we should be Thanking You for for giving us a place to go to and hang out with alot of like minded folks!

It was good to see you a buit more relaxed and doing less running around than you are in May.

You also gave me my new sig.........for a while.

I also thought it was nice that half of the 50/50 drawing at Williams Grove Friday night went to the museum. That's good stuff.

Thanks for all you do for both rodding and racing.

13. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

:)Thanks,Larry
    Without a doubt one of the best times in my old life,very relaxing,no loud music,got to actually talk to a lot of people.Nice collection of Hot Rods,Customs,&Racecars Really enjoyed myself.
    Don't wait 10 more years,hell some of us might not be around then:eek:

14. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

Had a great time! Reminded me of the very first showdown... thanks to you and your crew!

15. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I was "chauffeured" to the show by Gary T and he's always a hoot.
    Then,we got to see some s-w-e-e-t cars and meet some great folks and have a good time!
    Sharing a pop up canopy with six other fellas makes for close quarters,but we laughed and made it thru the deluge all okay!
    Good times...

16. scarylarry

scarylarry

Wow, me & my horrible grammar now quoted! :) or horrible grammar & I or something like that! Williams Grove & Lincoln Speedway both take very good care of the museum with 50/50's , track time & other events that help with a LOT.

17. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thanks Larry,
    Best time. Sherri and I had a blast. It was like our own private party with the best friends and all their great rides.
    Slim

[​IMG]

18. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Great show as always even with the rain thanks larry looking forward to the drags.

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I will make this event someday. I must...

20. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Couldn't wait to put the plaque on,fits perfect under the HAMB one:D

Attached Files:

21. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

You have to swear on a stack of HAMB plaques:eek:

22. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Larry, it was simply killer !!! No whining about anything. I was very glad I got invite and went. I'm putting my plaque on the T this afternoon.
    Thanks to all the really cool people who work behind the scenes.......even Nappy !!

23. BOB FRUTIGER

BOB FRUTIGER

GREAT SHOW !!! Hope you can do something like the INVITATIONAL in the near future. I am 78 years young, so dont wait too long. Thank you Larry.

24. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Hey now. Is it too late to un-invite this guy???

Thanks Larry & Kim for another fun show.

I laughed when it was still pouring and I heard a car headed for the track. I knew it had to be Clark.

25. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

Larry and Kim, Thanks for a great show and the "posthumous invitation" :D I had a great time and I'm looking foreword to the second Invitational in 2022 :eek:

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep.

27. 53 Kaiser

53 Kaiser
    from York, Pa.

Thanks Larry and Kim and the rest of our Crew. Man I forgot how much fun the old showdowns were for us crew guys getting to hang out while working, catching up about family and life and projects etc. Thanks to everyone who showed up and hung in there during the storm. Thanks to Clark for the laps in the modified. When that car fired up and hit the track while it was still raining you could honestly feel the energy from everyone there just go through the roof. We were holding the gate tent trying to stay dry. Clark hits the track mud is flying and we see HotRod Jen sprinting across the infield camera in hand covered in plastic. Now it's a Showdown!

28. rld14

rld14

Damn Larry, what on earth are you apologizing for? This was an absolutely fantastic show. The cars were incredible, the location was perfect, the vibe was great and I got more inspiration for my roadster build than I could have imagined.

And you had a Funnel Cake vendor too! :D

29. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

You'll never have to apologize for an event that produces moments like this. "Goggles up, Hammer down!"

[​IMG]

Anything missed from the program due to the weather was replaced with unexpected adventure. Ya can't do better than that.

Even God knew this crowd enjoys the mud, and he did something about it............. So there's your alibi.

It was evident that the true core of real hot rodding was gathered there. Thanks again for giving us the reason and place to meet.

30. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

We might not have salt flats in Pa,but we got the MUD!!!

SOOO----not to start anything here,or suggest that any kind of hot rod racing is better than another,BUT---- What is more fun---going in a straight line on a nice flat surface,or going around a circle in the mud Ha ha

I better shut up----never been to the salt---YET!!!