Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's as bad as it looks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1/2done, Dec 19, 2009.

1. servi53

servi53

fire left it looking a little crispy, good luck with your project, because it seems to be coming along great, you're rockin

2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, 1/2done;

Don't know if you've seen this issue of Street Rodder, but they (Troy Ladd (?)) chopped the 40 Ford Giveaway coupe 1", & removed that weird hiccup in the roof over the rear qtr windows. Looks ~ 1000% better than stock. Like it should've been done in the 1st place.

I'd vote for you doing one like that... , & maybe, a really thin section near the beltline. :) .

Have seen a few seriously chopped coupes, some sedans, & 1 sedan del around here, off & on, at the Street Rod Nats, & Backtothe50s, etc, but most have "issues" with proper proportion. Not saying I can/could do as well - much less better, but I have learned to recognize it...

Marcus...

3. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

CHOP AND SECTION IT!!! I love a 40 that has been sliced up! No doubt they are a beautiful car stock bodied, but when they are done right they are a drop dead georgeous custom! So go for it man! Jim

4. jazzbum

jazzbum

what he said.

5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi 1/2Done.Great work on the coupe.Best to you and yours.Glad to hear that you are reemployed.That being out of a job SUCKS.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

6. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Man from where you started to where it is now is incredible.
    No matter what you do to it,
    it's better than the pile of scrap you started with.
    You know I like the chopped and channeled look,
    and this one is such a good candidate for that.
    Plus I'm sure you'll do a fine job.
    TP

7. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Thanks everyone.

Travis, my big hold up is the whole title thing. If it's going to be a race car there is no class for a chopped, sectioned coupe in SCTA or ECTA anymore. I'm even working on a way to make drip rails since removing those is illegal also. Sticking with the original plan of using what I have: A/CGC with a 454/TH400/8.5 2:41. The TH400 will turn into a Tremec 5spd if the gods of speed smile upon me when the time comes.

8. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Honestly, I think all those pictures are perfect examples of why you don't chop a '40 Ford! You're doing a great job bringing the car back to life. Keep the stock roofline & lower the car.

9. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I got the rails and x brace cut off the butchered frame. They need a few spots patched but I think they're better than what's on the other frame.
    IMAG0540.JPG

I'm also going to use the center brace/trans mount from the MII frame since I'm using a Chevy motor/trans combo.
    IMAG0541.JPG

Not sure how soon I'll start on the frame repair, I'll probably finish the left door and wheelhouse first. That way I can skim coat and prime the body and get it looking like something other than a patchwork quilt.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  10. F&J

F&J

Those donor pieces look pretty good. Keep going on the body, it's getting there.

11. pvduke

pvduke
    from SoCal

Risen from the ashes- a PHOENIX.

Absolutely inspiring read.

Tenacity defined. Wow.

12. lookin' great! I love sectioned '40 coupes!

13. ironpile

ironpile

Sounds like a powerful amount of annealing is going to be done.You might ask a metalurgist how to do it effectivly.If you are determined it will happen.

14. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Sell it to someone in Missouri and let them title it, then buy it back with the clear MO title.

Hard to see how the "The Man" could condemn the process if cash and the car actually changed hands and locations (twice).

All you need to title in MO is a bill of sale for each of the major components present at the time of issue.

EDIT: I didn't mean me though. lol I'm too broke to work on my own stuff, never mind buying someone else's project (even temporarily).

15. The_Monster

The_Monster

Youre doing great! Id exhaust all possiblities of gaining a title before giving up. Im sure theres gotta be someone here on the HAMB that can help you out in that department.

16. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Can you do a title search with a bonded title, Im told after 90 days you get your bond back if no one steps forward, I would not let DMV see any currant pics of the car, just pics of when you got it.
    I know every state is different Florida and Texas have bonded titles, especially for cars this old.
    Maybe your car was bought from a bill of sale state like Georgia "wink, wink" they do not require titles pre 1975.

Godspeed
    MrC.

17. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Yeah that's what I found out when chopping my project.
    In reality I can't afford a scta race car let alone the race suit!
    How does 38flattie race his chopped chevy?

Anyway from what I understand the ca dmv registers
    With a vin verification and a pocketful of cash.
    Don't let that stop you from building!

TP

18. big M

big M

After all the nice work you have done already, I would definitely pursue getting a clean title. If you ever needed to sell the car, you would only get a small amount for it without legit ownership paperwork. I can clear titles in my own state for my yard here, but every state has their own procedures you must follow. There are also companies that will provide titles for a fee, but some states will not honor them, so check before putting your hard earned cash out.

---John

19. ironrodder

ironrodder

I have always liked the '39/'40 coupe stock look. That said, It's your car and you have to build it the way you want it and no other opinion matters. Your off to a great start.

20. hhrTroy

hhrTroy
    from Burbank

I love this project! You are doing a great job!

I think you should be very careful when considering chopping a 40, they are beautiful as is.... and more often then not when chopped the proportions can get real bad real quick.
    That being said..... we just chopped a 40, but went mild to keep from disrupting the lines of the car. Check out attached pics.
    Just another idea to add to your decision making. Everyone is gonna have an opinion... in the end it is your car! :)
    Keep up the good work!!!!

Attached Files:

Kreepea_1 and PONTNAK123 like this.
  21. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Wow, incredible job on the chop!

22. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I've been working on the 40 off and on the last month or so. I got the driver's door fabbed and welded and got the left rear wheelhouse tacked in place.

IMG00010-20121013-1914.jpg
    I started to bolt the right rear fender on and suddenly it didn't fit anymore. It appears that the body had shifted on the frame before I welded the wheelhouse in. Rather than sit and stare in disbelief I cut the whole thing loose, bolted the fender to it and relocated it in the correct position.
    IMG00006-20121013-1724.jpg

Once I was happy with it I made a patch section, cleco'd it in place and cut along the edge with an air saw 3-4 inches at a time and tacked it in place.

IMG00016-20121013-2201.jpg
    If tomorrow isn't a complete washout I'll try to get everything finish welded. Then I'm down to patching a few rust holes. Once those are finished I can brace the body and remove the floor, then separate it from the frame again and get the frame rails taken care of.
    Sorry for the shit quality pics, I'm down to a partially functioning Blackberry at the moment.

23. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Good to see you've been chipping away!
    You really know how to go the long way around huh!
    Make the most of it before the snow comes right?
    TP

24. n847

n847

Nice work...I can't believe you have saved that car! I hope you don't chop because I love the stock likesit but you seem to have a nice eye so I'm sure it will turn out!

25. nali

nali

Great ...
    Nothing else to say / write.
    Mine is in the same bad shape :p

26. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Thanks guys!
    Today started off dry so I rolled it out and started welding. I worked a couple hours before there was a huge gust of wind came up and 10 seconds later the power went off. A couple hours later it came back on just as it started raining so I was done for the day.
    006.jpg

27. This thread is turning out to be really inspiring. Keep up the good work.

28. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Looking great!!! Keep up the good work!!!

29. 1/2 Done I havent checked in since the spring . Looks good my friend . Its sometimes hard to find the time on these projects but it feels good when you actually get back to it . Stay at it . Andy..

30. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Your car is coming along great wish I had your talent, and energy. I need a 39 glove box door and hinge (Std or Deluxe) if you have one from your parts bodies please let me know. Thanks