Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wild Child's Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by grim, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Justin, did you mention that your dad was the first guy to make furniture from car parts? In my mind that is one of his most significant achievements. Not many artists start a movement, but he did with that one.

This is a bad shot I took through the plastic page. You should have the original somewhere. This is what I am referring to when I say your dad's photo collection has barely been mined. Notice that Jim used a professional photographer for this portfolio shot. Do you have the two page spread Playboy Magazine did, featuring your dad's furniture?

[​IMG]

2. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Another bad shot through plastic protector, but it clearly shows your dad's '65 Rivera sofa under construction. Note the clever asymmetrical feature, using both the front fender and rear quarter, seamlessly integrated into the final design. Just outstanding!

[​IMG]

3. grim

grim

[Note: Hey Tom, thanks for the heads up. I wasn't 100% if I'd scanned this one; I looked for the original before posting and couldn't find it. No offense taken, friend - and definitely none intended toward you.. In confusion, when I posted it, I even posed up an edited note just in case... Looks like that note was written for you. Again, my apologies, friend.]

[​IMG]

(Would you be offended if asked to use your copyright noticed version, and replaced the photograph with a credited one?)​

4. grim

grim

Hey, thank you, Tom. I'm not sure if I've really even scratched the surface; I keep finding more all the time. Thank you for these pictures.. They were destroyed from water damage; I thought they were gone. However, that zipped portfolio I believe I stumbled upon intact. It might be with the material I haven't gone through yet.

[​IMG]

That Riviera lounge I have in storage - still under-construction. When the stock market crashed in 1987, and arts purchases slowed, that piece was mothballed; it'll be a priority finish following the building construction, without a doubt. I've looked everywhere for that Playboy spread... If you or anyone else sees it, please let me know.. There's another issue of Playboy with one of the motorcycle builds in it that I'm also in search of. I'd really love to find these mags.

(P.S. Speaking of, congratulations; I recently heard about your Rodder's Journal Scrapbook contribution from Dick Page.)
    <script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script><fb:like-box href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-Childs/130345530376900?ref=ts#%21/pages/Wild-Childs/130345530376900?sk=info" width="292" show_faces="false" stream="false" header="true"></fb:like-box>

5. grim

grim

[​IMG]
    Installation of "Two for One" (1986)​

Brer, those stone walls were at 7 E. 37th Street. The bigger shop was about a mile away, at 3212 Holmes Street. The restoration work I'm postin' right now is of the Holmes location. The 37th Street place is bein' rented by a buddy for his place.

Haha :p - as you can see, from my rapid progress on the Rat-Fink story :rolleyes:, I'm still hammered with work on the project sunup to down. However, I did print a few shirts myself in the shop. What size are you? In my spare time, I've tried to hire on a few shirt companies (actually three). All of them have botched their sample runs; Tom, I know this is your area of expertise, do you have any advice on finding a printer that takes pride in themselves and their work? Do you still have any invested interests in the business?

Wild Child's 1st Art Opening - The Art Institute
    [​IMG]
    <script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script><fb:like-box href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-Childs/130345530376900?ref=ts#%21/pages/Wild-Childs/130345530376900?sk=info" width="292" show_faces="false" stream="false" header="true"></fb:like-box>

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  6. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

No offense taken at any level my friend. It's all my own doing anyway, by not copyright-noticing them in the first place; the genie's out of the bottle so to speak. I hadn't noticed your note. Thanks.

The photo of the furniture promo piece was taken after the water damage. It was also a brilliantly conceived and executed piece by a pro who really knew their stuff because I'm certain that was made before Photoshop existed. Ask your dad how that was created, I was always curious.

I no longer do shirts and even when I did, I didn't mass produce. I have a good friend in Pittsburg, Ks. who is the best screen printer around, 45 years' experience, that I would recommend, but he's been out of commission lately with health issues.

7. grim

grim

Behind the scenes of an ABC/CBS/NBC press release shoot, at the shop, at the start of the Auto Art & Furniture Movement (1980s).

[​IMG]

8. Needing a story fix

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been on the HAMB about twice in the last month . . . keep 'em coming bro. I'm M size but require L t-shirts due to shrinkage, would love a couple if you can find the right folks.

10. Wow, I love this! beyond cool.

11. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Man oh , how is it I'm just now seeing this awesome thread ? Thanks for postin' !

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any more pics of the Roman Chariot out there?

[​IMG]

13. grim

grim

[​IMG]

Not long ago, someone dropped this by; it's from a coffee-table book called Choppers. More and more, I've been seein' stuff like this pop over the past few years - not just with us either. With pop-culture creepin' on us all, I guess cats have started diggin' on counter-culture history. Even friends of the family, like Grimm (oldest workin' name in tattoos), seem to be seein' the same things; I hear their story on the wind too - a lot these days.

I was just talkin' to brer, outside of here, and was tellin' him I might land one of the panheads from the original Roman Chariot for our first project with the building back. Keep your fingers crossed, friends..

14. grim

grim

By the way,

With the shop plan gettin' closer, this month, thought it was time to migrate things toward startin' a real Blog/Site for the shop. I'm going to start off by shifting what's already up before I post too much new though. Pass it on, and let me know what you all think of the layout.

...and so I don't leave ya empty handed - Cushenbery's Silhouette in for Paint

[​IMG]

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "Content Warning" is unfortunate, but otherwise it's good. Just needs more content. I know, all in good time.

Regarding your Pops, man there is a book begging to be written.

16. grim

grim

Well friends, I'm not sure what to say. We've had a theft. The loss is just too horrible to describe... I've walked over to a public library, in order to use a computer, so I only have a few short minutes of computer time; I just wanted to thank everyone. I guess this is goodbye, friends. I hope you've enjoyed our time together, and will remember and pass on these old stories. I won't be seeing you for a while. It might be a year or more before I'm back at zero. Almost made it, man... Sorry, friends.

17. Nooooooooooo!!!
    WTF happened?
    You're really leaving?
    Sad face

18. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Brerhair, I am sure there are plenty of old pics of the "Chariot" out there, As "Farner" had it in his shows, The last time I saw it all together was at the Bike show here in kansas city, And thats been close to 20 years ago. It had been repainted from this version (by wild child I believe) pearl white and gold or Green. Can't remember for sure, However My buddy who is in this pic, Saw it in north kansas city a few years back all stripped down for a rebuild at "Dougs Choppers" And I am told that Doug owns it now. Anyhow I wish some guys who had old pics of it would chim in myself, As It is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I have talked to guys who were around it in its glory days, And am told it was not safe to drive, But fun too look at and BS about.

19. Whoa! WTF happened?

20. Abomination

Abomination

Doug Yergovich went to prison in the late 90s for some very bad things. He left his shop in his son's hands, who renamed it. It's 3 minutes down the street from the house, and you know, after that incident, I never went by there again - not since like 1999 or so.

God knows where all that cool stuff is now. I don't even know if the place is still open... at least, the traffic out front isn't even 1% of what it used to be before the shit hit the fan over there.

~Jason

21. Grim,

No reason to be sorry...

Any chance the items missing can be indentified? We can keep our eyes open.

I am so sorry for the loss and hassle, I wish all manner of ill on the thieves after your stuff is returned.

you my friend are in our thoughts

22. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

I'm speechless,hope your dad's ok !

23. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

For anyone who is interested, here is a pic of a 1:16 scale model that my buddy built of the Roman chariot...

Attached Files:

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool.

Justin, we're all behind you, for what it's worth. Wish you and your pop nothing but the best.

25. grim

grim

Pardon the scare and delay, and thanks for the kind words guys... I found 'em and talked to 'em. We got things all evened out and won't have anymore troubles. Thanks for reachin' out everyone...

26. grim

grim

P.S. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  27. Well, I'm totally lost :confused:

28. I went by the shop yesterday as I was making the rounds and didn't see any activity good or bad. Are we back on track then???

29. I hope it's all cool running from here on out for you.
    I love this thread and what you are doing there.

30. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Good news dude,can you plz put me down for 2 XL,thanks mate.