Register now to get rid of these ads!

salina......well i made it about half way.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ryno, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ryno

ryno

mini ryno and myself decided this was the year to get up to salina for the kkoa show finally. I've wanted to go since we moved to the mid west a few years ago, but with his and my wife's bday this week it never happened, but this year he really wanted to go.

so we left bright and early this morning. all smiles.truck running good as usual.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

passing mo kan raceway.
    [​IMG]

keep getting a weird smell when wed run up behind the big rigs on the kansas roads, just figured it was something from them. temp was good and oil pressure was good. so we pressed on. figured it look it over when stopped for breakfast and gas. about 120 or so miles from home, in the middle of no-where Kansas, it happened.

the bearing in the 289 aluminum hi-pro water pump let go and smashed the pulley, shoved the fan into the radiator and well, our salina 2012 road trip ended there at mile marker 370!

i usually have the 100 mile aaa, but i guess i didn't get it this time, so it was 5 mile free, and then 3.50 per mile there after. i got a flat bed to take us to the nearest truck stop, and call in a favor from my brother. he went to my house grab my trailer and make the trek to save us.

no more smiles...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

we had to wait in the gas station for a few hrs for him to arrive. but some icees and pretzels held us over for a while. you can see some amazing shit at a little truck stop in the middle of no-where kansas
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  2. ryno

ryno

destruction.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I like that boys hair......wonder how I'd look with a do like that. Sorry bout the truck.

4. Bummer, man. Sorry about the truck. Those smiles will be back shortly.

5. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

Damn! That bites! Well...it's all fixable.

6. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Sorry to hear this Ryno, hope it goes back together smooth. I've got to go put a tie rod in, I'm still fighting with this mule in my garage.

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Damn, sorry to hear it. No pick-a-part nearby to get the parts you need to get back on the road? Don't give up, ever! :)

8. ryno

ryno

you should try it.
    he normally likes to rock the colored hair for his state wrestling, but figured to do it now too.

parts have already been ordered. it's all fixable.could have been way worse. I've been really lucky with break downs, normally it everyone else that breaks shit im with, i tell you though i don't want to get used to it!

so you still going to make it salina?
    give me a call soon so we can work out the hamb drags details...

i don't think there was even a auto parts store anywhere near us.
    if it wasn't a 106 forecast and i didnt have my boy with me to worry about i may have been more app'd to get it fix and on the way, but finding this stuff in no where kansas wasn't going to happen, not this close to home anyways.

9. jerry

jerry

That really sucks! Been there myself a few times!

At least you weren't 1000 miles from home...

Thanks again for the garage use.

jerry

10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And along the way you got this:

Sucks to break down but looking at that pic I gotta smile. I'd call it an okay day in spite of your problems!

11. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Hey, at least the attempt was there. I'm sure it will happen again and those smiles will come back.....

12. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I just saw your tach in your pics. 5 grand at 70mph? WOW! While it's down put some higher gears in it. It's no wonder the pump failed.

13. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

That's a bummer. I remember going to car shows and vacations with my dad when I was young. I think It made me the man I am today.

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

3 dollar bearing causes 300$ woth of damage...ahhhh old cars, gotta love em. Glad ya'll made it back safe. It's too fuckin hot for a carshow anyways.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw that, too and was going to ask if you were in a lower gear or that's how you have it geared.

Was it the bearing getting hot that you smelled?

16. ryno

ryno

i saw that too, but the big red line is the RED line on teh mooneyes tach. it runs about 2800 rpms on the hwy if i keep my foot out of it.

i suspect it was the bearing goign out that i was smelling? i don't know. it wasn't over bearing in smell where i would have pulled over, like a coolant smell, or trans oil smell. it just smelled like, well i don't know! i wish i had a better idea now, though.

17. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Oh that makes sense. Whew!

18. gmapostle53

gmapostle53

i feel your pain. i was on my way to the moonlight car show in wichita the other weekend. made it two miles away from the show, and my trans wouldnt come out of fourth exiting kellogg. finally got it out of fourth, and ended up with a tranny full of neutrals. luckily a AAA guy was behind me as i was PUSHING it into a parking lot. ended up being a guy i went to high school with. he gave me one of his free tows to get back home. i was going to hit the salina show today as well, but spent all day putting a new tranny in :(

19. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

If nothing else, it will be a memory both of you will have forever.

20. titus

titus

That sucks, its always an adventure!

21. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

you can just bend the needle a bit to get a better reading.

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Sucked that you guys had problems and didn't make it...
    See you in a couple weeks at the Drags!

Malcolm

23. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was wondering about ya. they're were so many cars I thought that I just missed ya.
    Sorry to hear the news, Hate to hear about your trouble glad ya got home ok. Hope
    to see ya end of the month.

Happy Trails, Mick

24. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Well that just sucks, too bad it had to happen when The mini was with you.
    I got a late model Vette you can borrow next time if you want. HaHaHa
    See you at the Drags hope you get it all back together. Gary

25. Glad it is an easy fix.
    I just installed a rear sway bar and stiffer panhard bar so the next time you try and pass me on an off ramp I'm giving you a run for your money. :)

26. ryno

ryno

i think the auto meter gauge is off a little bit, cause if put an actual meter on it and it reads fine.

micah was really looking forward to seeing you again too, but yes it will be on at the drags!
    how did the car do going home?

was looking forward to seeing ya, and the ring o'mercs you put together. how did that turn out?

you where teh first person i thought of when i was thinking of turn right around and trying again in teh late model caddy, but i figured you'd have too much leverage on me if i did that!

it will be back together on Wednesday hopefully.
    got most of my parts in today and installed, just need to pick up a 68 428 mustang radiator. i assumed i had a 65 mustang one,since thats what i took it out of, but it was way smaller when it arrived, so some handy work with the parts books and we cross referenced mine to a 68 with a 428 i guess.

we can test it out on teh way to teh swap meet friday am then, if we have too we can rangeline exits both ways, they are a good test sorce!

27. ryno

ryno

Got it all back together and back in service yesterday.

28. Milliron H

Milliron H

Being from Kansas, I was wondering what part of "nowhere" Kansas you broke down?

29. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

30. ryno

ryno

fredonia.sat at the little truck stop at the round about.