Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Miss the Drive-In Theaters ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Mc, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Sharing a good picture, hope it has'nt been posted before.any other Drive-in pics?

Attached Files:

2. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

We have four within 30 miles of us, we take one of our old cars just about every Friday.

3. Our nearest ones are 200miles away n only 5 left in our state! Kids today dont know what there missing!

4. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we have one right up the street! one of the last 2 remaining in CT! It has 3 screens and the recently spent the pocket change to upgrade all their equipment to keep up with the times! We love it! It's so nice to drive by and see the old ticket booth lit up and all the screens playing behind the trees!

5. We have The Galaxy In Ennis and the Brazos in Granbury, Both about an hour away.We dont go as often as we would like.

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Porterville California. Sad.

Attached Files:

7. Crankhole

Crankhole

We've got the Mission Tiki Drive-In....

[​IMG]

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That's a cool place in Montclair, CA. It has 4 screens.

9. New Two Screen drive in opens here on Monday!

The decline has actually reversed and the numbers are growing Nationally.

10. Sadly,none left here in Anderson,South Carolina.:(

In my teens we had 3 theaters in the area.

Remember the Pic insect repellent?
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9iL1aCWLuNk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or the snack bar advertisements? HRP

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g4u8oTQCnBI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  11. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Double screen 20 miles from us,1 price now no shoving anyone in the trunk!:D
    We took our kids there a couple years back to see 'Cars' kids loved it a trash bag of pop corn & a box of fried chicken! :rolleyes: damn it was fun!

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

I would only go to get laid in the back seat.

13. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I have this one about 1/2 mile from me. Its great to see businesses like this one hang on for so long. I recently heard drive ins are on a come back. I believe last year was the biggest growth in drive in theaters since the early 70's.

HRP This is only 170 miles from Anderson, Bring your car and I'll buy the popcorn!

[​IMG]

14. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

classy.......;)

15. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Got another 2 screen here in Ft. Collins... Need a make a point to head out there more often, but business seems good for them whenever I drive by...

16. deto

deto

I had one in my town. Still miss it...

17. We still have one left just outside of my town Called the Pleasant Valley Drive-in.Just like the good old days except no more speakers hanging off the window to drive away with,they now broadcast the sound to your car radio. http://www.driveinmovie.com/CT/PleasantValley/schedule/

18. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I think the nearest one is 30 miles. Had many good times going to the drive-in's when I was in high school. Cars had big trunks then, and you could sneak in two or three of your buddies.

19. Kramer

Kramer

HRP, just drop the "DRMretro1.gif" of the end of the link he provided.

20. Woody94

Woody94
    from Holly, MI

21. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

There is one with 3 screens between Winchester and Tullahoma, Tn. Tune the radio to a certain channel and get the sound thru your system.

22. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Taken in Abilene, Texas a couple of months ago
    that's my wagon

Attached Files:

23. Sneaking your pals into the drive-in theaters in the truck of your buddy's car was almost a right of passage when I was a teenager but sooner or later you would get caught at the box office when one of your buddy's would invariably torch off a foul smelling fart that got everybody in the truck screaming and laughing.:D HRP

24. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I don't know where any are around here any more but, here is an old one in Springfield IL on Rt. 66

Attached Files:

25. there are at least four left in wisconsin. kenosha,jefferson,wi dells and door county. i take the family all the time in the summer. my first date was the drive in. i still have the girl and the 66 chevelle i took her in.

26. von Dyck

von Dyck

No! Never cared for the "drive-in". Poor sound and picture quality.

27. Window Licker

Window Licker

there is one near coldwater michigan, one of the most fun things to do there on a summer night

28. Gator

Gator

Franklin Drive-in is only about 15 miles away from me, they had a cruise-in a few weeks ago then showed 'American Graffiti" and another feature. Here's my Caddy at the Cruise-in.

[​IMG]