Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Dad lands a 1940 Ford Deluxe coupe!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Jul 27, 2012.

1. My Dad got me into cars. Ever since I was born he was always working or tinkering on something...and 95% of the time it was an old Ford. Over the years he has collected a lot of projects...more then one guy needs really. My Mom has been after home for a while to sell off some stuff and actually get some cars done!

The Spokane Swap Meet was a week and a half ago and we saw this 40 coupe for sale there. My Dad fell in love with it. It is a very nice, strait, original paint Deluxe coupe. Sunday afternoon I was there working a gate (I'm in the early Ford V8 club that puts that meet on) and I ended up buying a 26-27 T RPU (long story). I called my Dad and asked if he could bring the trailer down and he said sure. So a couple hours later he's there and he's back eyeing that 40 coupe. He talked to the owner and the guy came down quite a bit from his original asking price. My Parents just got done siding their house and having power put in at their river property where they hope to build a home, so cash was very tight. My Dad told the guy he would liek to buy the car but just didn't have the money. The owner of the ol Ford said "Gimme a down and make payments!" How can you argue with that? So that was it, my Dad had me list a couple cars for sale (more to come) and today went and paid it off and brought her home.

The history is pretty much non existent. It came from Idaho according to the title and an elderly fella owned it but died, the guy Dad got it from bought it from the estate. That's about all we know...so not too much :) The odometer shows 88,000 miles. Car has whats left of it's original tan paint. Every piece of glass is 1939 Ford script. It's an early car with the flip up ash trays. It's missing the engine, transmission and front seat...otherwise pretty complete. It is strait as an arrow and has hardly and rust!

My Dad's plans are to lower it, big-n-littles, flathead, stock 3 speed...basic stuff but it's hard not to on a 40 coupe!! He's in a selling mood, he says he realizes that he just has too many projects and wants to thin the heard, so keep an eye peeled in the classifieds if you need a new project :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That baby looks really solid. Always loved 39-40 Fords. Good for your Pop ! :D

Don

3. Steve 38

Steve 38

Oh wow, too cool. Its condition is amazing!

4. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

This is awesome.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Another fine addition to the family collection. Have you ever rolled everything out and taken a photo of the fleet? Bob

6. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

man thats a great solid start. Just need some good ol wheels and she will be all stock and a good start for what ever you want to do.

7. Lil32

Lil32

8. Nice score by your Dad, Chris. Look forward to seeing the progress....Murph, Are you watching?;)

9. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I love '40s, congrats to your dad !

10. 1941coupe

1941coupe

wow what a score,when was the last time you saw an unmolested solid 40 ford,like your dads plans,a nice dressed flathead wide whites way to go .

11. Goodlife

Goodlife

Looking at the pictures I see a car that is in remarkable condition and by comparison, will be an easier restoration that a lot cars you would find today. Having spent the last year working on a standard that needed floor pans and several sheet metal pieces I would say you have a foundation that will go together with a lot less effort and expense.
    I lowered mine and am sticking with the flathead also. Will be interested to see how it goes and I would say that you did well finding that car.

12. One of the best looking cars ever built. In my opinion!

13. Scored BIG TIME, with that solid body you saved a ton of money and time in bodywork. Now you can paint it any dark (black) color you want.

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats to your dad on the '40. Really nice.

Wanna see pics of your r.p. too!

15. brady1929

brady1929

16. Chris,
    Your dad needs a serious talking to. I hate that I don't have that 40. :D

Looks like a good solid builder I am happy for your dad ( and you too of course). :cool:

Hey just checked out the '37 man do I need another project, about like a hole in the head. Can't beat the price but someone would have to make more than one trip to haul it all home. Good looking project. It shouldn't last at the price for damned sure.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

17. Not much...but by Sunday it was 400.00 and I figured I needed it. As I was carting it off a friend of a friend made me an offer that I figured meant he wanted it more them me, so I didn't own it too long

[​IMG]

18. If anyone has a 40 business coupe seat, he's on the lookout!

19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Another great find!

20. S.F.

S.F.

AWESOME PIC! right click, save...

21. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

My 1940 ford came out of Spokane about 10 years ago

Attached Files:

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 40 5W Coupe has seat with a solid seat back which which pivots up from the bottom toward the steering wheel to access the behind seat storage area.
    The "Business" Coupe or "Opera Coupe", both terms Ford did not use, has the split back bench seat and opera seats on either behind the seat.
    Both versions were available in Standard or DeLuxe versions in 1940.

23. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Man, thats a sweet one.

24. sskustoms

sskustoms

WOW that thing is is in great shape !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. broey

broey

yeah, sweet find!

26. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I'm sure you guys will do it right. Assuming he will do it that is...

27. fatkoop

fatkoop

It's a forty coupe. How can you go wrong? (Not that I'm prejudice!)

28. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

29. 343w

343w

A 2 door sedan seat should work as well, it splits in the middle to access the rear.

30. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Congrats!! Sweet car.