Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. PyroArtist

PyroArtist

Thanks Speedie! I've been looking at buying that actual book. Just the extra little push I needed to pull the trigger! Is the owner still running the car? Or is it in a museum/shop? Thanks again!

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Some SERIOUS history walked in the shop yesterday..

I got a call out of the blue by a very nice lady here in the Cincinnati area wanting to know if I worked at the shop that restored the 1923 Indy winner (TOMMY MILTON MILLER). I said yes. She then asked if it was still here and I informed her that it was gone on tour, and wouldn't be back till it needed freshened up or worked on.. could be years. So, I asked her why?
    She then proceeds to tell me she has in her hands a TROPHY from 1923, given to TOMMY MILTON by HARRY STUTZ for setting fast time, and winning the race. It also had an engraving of the actual HCS special on it! :eek: ...and she wanted to get a picture of it with the car..
    I asked her what else it said and to describe it to me. I could tell she was reading it FROM THE TROPHY IN HER HANDS.. So, I asked if she could e-mail me pictures of the trophy. Then she asked: "Well, I can... or I could just bring it by Zakira's in a half hour" :eek::eek:

True to her word, she walked in with it a half hour later.

here it is.. ENJOY!

The Trophy has 3 handles so, that makes for THREE panels.. One with the Medalion celebrating his Pole setting record, One with the Car hand engraved, and One with the words: First Place I.M.S. May 30, 1923

-----------------------

Oh! and to add insult... She bought it at the Indy Memorabilia show at the Speedway THIS past year, THAT I WAS AT!!!! :rolleyes:

She said it was on a back table, against the wall, surrounded by a bunch of other stuff. We all missed it somehow.

History, and WHATS STILL OUT THERE never quits amazing me...

J Shaw

Attached Files:

3. easter

easter

Maybe she'll trade it for something you've got at the shop. Maybe you can mow her lawn a few times! That would look nice at your place.

4. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

How about letting the person who just spent a ton of money on the recreation at your shop getting a chance to own the silverware that goes with it?
    lol

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That's what is happening.. It's not the first time the trophy has surfaced. It was in an ON-Line auction back in 2009 and The car owner missed the auctions end AND the trophy did not sell... so, he contacted the auctioneer and tried desperatly to get the trophies owners name, but had no luck. Now 3 years later it has changed hands and re-surfaced.
    The lady that owns it now is VERY happy owning it, and not crazy about selling it, but did agree to get in contact with the car owner.. so, I'd say it'll end up back with the car eventually..

...as it should be. ;)

J Shaw

6. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Compadre!

It was good finally getting to say hello to you at Milw.

BTW:The LJ8 will be another outstanding addition to our vintage roster once you're through with it.

7. There is some serious karma at work here.....

8. KKx125

KKx125

Joshua, I fitted ths offy engine to the Marquette offy over 20 years ago
    while the owner was doing the restoration. I asked him to contact me when the restoration was finished and I would fire up the engine.
    This never happened. The owner and myself used to display our Kurtis-Kraft midgets at the Annual Gold Coast Indy Car race.(Champ Cars)
    In 1991 at the INAUGURAL event, we ran several Offy Midgets around the track because of the connection between Offenhauser and Indy Car racing.
    Have you had look at the H.A.M.B. cageless midget thread 1969 and older?
    Also www.vsaq.net our vintage speedcar club website may be of interest to you.
    Speedie.....

9. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

The Johnston-Carbone-Wendt Bonneville Indy roadster is nearing completion for its trip to the salt flats.
    Here are the pix of it leaving my shop on June 6 for its new home in Miami where the crew has been working feverishly installing the 270 OFFY thumper & driveline, fuel tank & radiator, brakes, electricals, interior paneling, paint & polish and final assembly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  10. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Here are the pix that the Florida crew took of the "almost ready to go" chassis!
    They are waiting for the final touches on the bodywork.

Stay tuned!

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

11. coachrandy

coachrandy

Ray lives in Northern California East of Sacramento....I have a phone number if you still need it.

Randy

12. coachrandy

coachrandy

I have Ray's phone number if you still need to contact him, he lives east of Sacramento.

Randy

13. racer76

racer76

Hey mac....did you ever get to see bobby marvin race in the early 60's

14. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Yes, I did, but, unfortunately, not very many times. I saw him drive the Null roadster at Eldora.... He was signed to drive the NOVI in 1963, but died just a few days before Indy opened for practice.
    I also knew Lenny Waldo and the Wacholtz guys from Columbus.

mac miller in INDY

15. PyroArtist

PyroArtist

Wow, I never realized all the confusion with the Jack Stroud "Honkers". I ordered the book. But, couldn't wait to find out more info. Is the Marquette Offy the USA #2 Valvoline Offy? Owned by Rod McMahon? I believe it's also been driven by Des Kelly and Johnny Stewars. As well as Bob Tattersall. I was able to trace the car all the way back to it's original owner Elmer Freber. He owned Marquette Tool & Die. His son still owns that company. Elmer Freber also founded Margay Racing Karts in the early sixties. Elmer's grandson Kieth owns Margay Racing today. My first experience racing anything on four wheels was in a Margay kart. Crazy how things can linked together. :)

16. racer76

racer76

Yep,my dad....i raced around columbus before racing some sprint cars and then to the arca truck series....bud built my motors as well....thinking about going to eldora for the 50 year anniversy...dad won a heat and 3rd or 4th in the feature..he did well in 62 in the b&j sprint car....sure wish he had gotten to indy....thanks

17. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Been wrestling over this for months. Would appreciate any opinions.
    My older son, good mechanic and collector/owner having restored a 'General Lee" and a 67 fastback Mustang "special" is coming down from NY to FL, next week, to take back two of the race cars. One for him, and one to hold on to, for my other son, who is unsettled and has no place for one. He is Definitely taking the Granite State Spl to keep for himself. But none of the THREE of us can decide which OTHER car he should take back (we expect to be moving soon)

There are plusses & minuses for both the McDowell sprint, and the McQuinn Elto outboard. Which would YOU choose or suggest for him/them to take.:confused:

McDowell sprint has a lot of bells & whistles, We put about 12K into the engine alone, between purchase price & overhaul by expert Ralph Malamud, back in the early 80s. I remember the full set of Dayton knock-offs & hubs being about 8K back then with some axle stuff. has Original vintage 4" Hartford shocks on the front. beautiful In & out. But it would be 'another" sprint, and also require all that goes with having a trailer for it (or a TWO car trailer for both)

The McQuinn Elto outboard has overhauled outboard, simple vintage two-stroke, brass radiator, old instruments & pretty, BUT*** needs a little bit of re-chroming on wheels & bumpers etc, now-(most of those parts come off in about five-ten minutes). BIG plus is that you can get 2-3 burly guys and pick up one end at a time, and just load it in the back of a pick-up truck! no elaborate trailer prep and dragging. Plus always a nice crowd getter, as most people never saw, or knew about outboards in pre-War midget racers. and when they HEAR one....:D

son is supposed to come mid-week next week with a nice rollback flat bed. Still not even decided enought to LEAN one way or the other. any ideas/opinions?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  18. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Neat heritage to be able to offer your kids...that's a tough question. They could run the sprints together, but the Elto is a really unique piece..I would at least lean towards the Elto...keep us posted what you guys decide.

19. TommyA19

TommyA19

I'd love to have an Elto Midget! I made comments about Outboard Midgets in my column, due out on Thursday.

20. tractorguy

tractorguy

I am getting ready to sell an old rail frame midget that is pretty needy, but I had acquired an Elto with thoughts of building the car with it. Right now trying to get the Elto unstuck from years of storage. They certainly do bring some "diversity" to any event they show up at.
    By the way, how great to be able to pass on important cars to your family. I would be really torn between the Elto and the sprinter. Good luck with the decision.

21. racer5c

racer5c

A couple hours early but I won't be awake at midnight, Happy Birthday Rich Vogler, he would be 62

22. racer5c

racer5c

Indy Mile

Attached Files:

23. KKx125

KKx125

Joshua,Yes the
    Rod McMahon Offy came to Australia as the Jack Stroud Valvoline#2 Offy and I believe Stroud purchased the car from Marquette. There are other Jack Stroud Offy/s in Australia. See Thread#7690,7694,7695,7698 and on HAMB Cageless Midget Site #101,102 and 144 Etc ,Quite some history down here,Enjoy, Speedie

24. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Glad to hear that Tommy!
    Now if i just "adopt" you, I could give YOU the Elto, and all Three cars would be spoken for by my sons, and problem solved:D without having to choose.

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Happy Birthday Rich.

(For any of you new comers... That's our own RACER5C on the far right in the last picture... Your welcome Roy. :D:D)

Attached Files:

26. TommyA19

TommyA19

Hey, I'm 100% adoptable!

27. Josh
    You build real nice toy,s, real nice-Blatz

Attached Files:

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Josh, is that painting of Rich a Ron Burton production?

As to Rich, it's been said many times, one more won't hurt. I don't ever expect to see another like him.

29. racer5c

racer5c

been working on an Osborne sprint car I got about 6 or 8 months ago getting close trying to get it ready to take with us to Latimore. MacMiller has been helping with the hood and nose here is a before pic and a couple progress pictures

Attached Files:

30. jimg12

jimg12

Roy, It looks nice. It will look something like my #2 car since I got my nose, hood and cowl from Mac also. Jim