Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. partsrivet

partsrivet

Can't say for sure but this could be the All American that afan ID'd in an earlier post. Any other thoughts? Indy 66. [​IMG]

2. partsrivet

partsrivet

No idea who is in the 55 but the E/MP Nova on the far side belonged to Glen Self from Durant, OK. Tulsa, 9-1966[​IMG]

3. partsrivet

partsrivet

On the near side we see Richard Tharp driving for the Carroll Brothers of Irving TX against the Green Gang from Angleton, TX at Opelousas LA in June of 1967[​IMG]

4. partsrivet

partsrivet

Maynard Rupp was busy at the 66 Nationals, driving his AA/FD and the Gratiot Auto Supply Chevelle. [​IMG]

5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Wasn't Jesse killed driving this car? I recall reading that somewhere.

6. WCD

WCD

No, he lived on for many years for On the Classic Funny Car site one of the members posted how his mom or aunt, in serving as a hospice nurse, actually attended to his needs in his later years.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  7. WCD

WCD

289's on fuel were rare. I think the best effort with that motor was that demonstrated by Jeff Foulk and his injected Cougar F/C on the East Coast Inj F/C circuit 68-70. On the classic F/C site he gave a nice story how he kept the lil small block Ford in one piece. Basically an aftermarket girdle held the bottom end together. I cant think if it was constructed from local machinist or M/T. Either way, it kept the crank and rods in the block, and not the track. A guy named Dick Wohl ran a 289 in B/FD and got runner up at Indy in 67.

8. Mattbee

Mattbee

I belive the car was around chicago in the mid 1970's. After that I can't find any more info on what happened to the car. The car was so light it would wheelie and come down and bend the axle. The first axle they reinforced and it just bend again, the second axle was made of thicker metal, and it still bent. The final axle was a lot bigger. I have the second axle in my room.

9. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

the oval track was just a few hundred yards south of the drag strip although they did not operate at the same time.
    Last time I was at "Speedway 605" was for the "Turkey Night" annual midget race classic, in 1975.
    I'll never forget that day because we had just heard that, hours before, Graham Hill was killed in an airplane crash.
    Took the fun out of the midget race....[/QUOTE]

My Dad took me many times to 605 Speedway when I was a kid, must've been shortly before it closed. There were many racers that put plates on their race cars so they could drive 'em to the track. I always tripped out when I saw one one the street after a race. Does anybody remember the F-150 with the bitchin paint job and 605 on the door? It was always parked under the grandstands on race-nite, I remember it having slotted mags on it too.

10. WCD

WCD

Saugus Speedway would host its Ego-Challenge. Basically, you don a helmet, and take 2 or 3 hot laps around the flat as a board 1/3 mile paved oval, in an effort to set the fastest time and win a trophey and maybe some pizza money. Saw more than a few new exotic sports cars with the price sticker still on the window hit the concerte retaining wall, much to the delight of the quickly intoxicated crowd. And not all the owners of the cars knew that their new toy had been driven there by their kid! And some of the best cat fights ever went on underneath the stands by the time night fell.

11. ol'shoe22

ol'shoe22
    from MI

Dick Jesse passed at his home in May of 1977 at the young age of 39.

12. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Absolutely GORGEOUS!:D

13. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

In the 70's I remember a guy took a real 70 LS-6 Chevelle and mid motored it for that challenge:confused:

14. Corde jenson in the Bev's Steak House AA/FD at Woodburn before the use of slipper clutches. the car was later destroyed in a spectacular accident, also at Woodburn.

[​IMG]

15. WCD

WCD

Guess, I confused with him with another. (sic).

16. WCD

WCD

Vander Woudes product endorsement for M/T Products was an understatement. Virtually everything in his catalog was found on the car.

17. ELMER FUDD

ELMER FUDD

Attached Files:

18. Smirnoff

Smirnoff

Already asked Doug, he doesn't know what ultimately happened to the car, appears it disappeared after being sold.....:eek:

19. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Here is a photo of a local car "Sour Grapes" taken in the 1960's. It was owned by Tom Johannsen of Tom's Citco station in West Lafayette, IN.

I suspect this photo was likely taken at either Bunker Hill, U.S. 30 or Indianapolis Raceway Park.

Attached Files:

20. noboD

noboD

21. Maybe you are right, but I really suspect that was a different Bronco. I think the aluminum chassis would have been a "no way" everywhere by then.
    But...who knows?:confused:

22. Smirnoff

Smirnoff

Plus the aluminum chassis was bent....without the installed motor, one of the front wheels on the Buster would not touch the ground! :eek:

23. I'm sure it has been asked, but a 1653 pages and 33049 posts, I would know where to look...

Who knows when the first flip top body was run?
    Who and when would be nice to know.
    I know of at least one built in Iowa in 1962.

24. This is the era I would like to return to.
    Now,it's all about the money, to the point that I have seen several tracks run into the ground, and the owner stands there wondering "what happened".

The events that have sprung up due in large part to the members of this board, are a huge step in the right direction. We need more Run What Ya Brung, Heads Up racing.

Loving all the pics.

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

1962? So why don't you just tell us who it was?
    I'm guessing Jim Lytle...or Jack Ditmar, but they weren't the absolute "first".

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

By the way...asking who/what was the "first" is like asking "who put flames on a car first?"
    There simply is not one answer.
    Guys back in the 1950's were putting hinges on the rear of bodies of lakes cars and drag cars.
    So...it would be like asking "who built the first rear engined dragster?"
    You can argue all day long, but there isn't a definitive answer....

27. I couldn't agree more! It always develop into a silly pissing match, these things are unknowable. Besides, I happen to know my great great grandfather had a flip top covered wagon......:eek:

28. rick finch

rick finch

Hey Doug, are you still in contact with Steve? If so, ask him who this is...( maybe somebody here recognizes who or what.)

[​IMG]

29. WCD

WCD

Its Leroy Chadderton and the Magnificant 7 AA/FA.

30. rick finch

rick finch