Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Swoopy cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Dec 25, 2010.

1. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] The very definition of swoopy.

2. fleet-master

fleet-master

heres a swoooopy and lithe looking one comin along nicely (on the left);)....very cool 50Fraud

Attached Files:

3. Weasel

Weasel

You guys have some seriously good taste but 23 pages and not a single Pegaso? Time to correct that. Gear driven DOHC 3.2L V8 dual 4bbl Webers or staggered 4 x 2bbl Webers, rear mounted ZF transaxle with inboard drum brakes and all this in 1951 for a road car....

[​IMG]

Jacques Saoutchik did a couple of designs on the Pegaso Z102 - swoopy and aggressive in my book....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rjones35 likes this.
  4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

5. ONE8SEVEN

ONE8SEVEN

[​IMG]

6. rick finch

rick finch

1953 Maverick Sportster...1 of 7 built. (fiberglass body.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks, Rick. I believe that the Maverick, as well as the Timbs Special Buick posted earlier, will both be exhibited as part of the Sport Custom class at Pebble Beach this year.

8. jhutch713

jhutch713

I never thought I'd use this term, I love swoopy cars!

9. rick finch

rick finch

Tony even though I posted the Maverick, I'm not a big fan of it...

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Nor am I, but there's something a little interesting about it. It's a fiberglass body that was built in series, but apparently only 2 or 3 were built. What's unusual is that it's a 2-seat roadster on a 116-inch wheelbase. While some of the styling details don't really spin my propellor, it does have a kind of imposing presence just because of it's considerable size. The proportions are actually pretty good for a giant roadster.

11. rick finch

rick finch

I know you are very familiar with this car Tony...The '53 Bosley MKI GT.
    For those unfamiliar, I posted a little history & background after the 2nd image...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the mid 50's Richard Bosley of Mentor, Ohio created the Bosley MK1. He had a real passion for automobiles, so in the early 1950's, he decided to build the car of his dreams. The car is powered by a Chrysler Hemi breathing through 6 carbs, the transmission is a custom made 5-speed connected to a Halibrand quick change rear end. Braking is provided by Lincoln 12-inch drums riding on magnesium center-lock wheels. It has a top speed in the neighborhood of 160mph. The bodywork was done by Mr. Bosley, with many of the interior and exterior parts sources from various other vehicles.
    Since Richard Bosley was a horticultural farmer by trade, he was unable to find funding for the production of the car, so this prototype was the only Bosley MKI GT ever produced...

12. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Here are a few photos I took of the Bosley Mk I. Beautiful hand formed fiberglass bodywork by Richard Bosley. I would love to find the 1966 Bosley Mk II Interstate (below)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1966 Bosley Mk II Interstate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I saw the edsel ford model 40 speedster at the LeMay museum.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. rick finch

rick finch

15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

16. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Strother McMinn's LeMans Coupe...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  17. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

'66 Toronado.. 60's GM version of swoop....

Attached Files:

Locomotive Breath likes this.
  18. DrJ

DrJ

I don't see a single body opening line on this car. Does it have an opening hood, does it have doors? does it have a trunk lid. does the whole gbody have to come off to service the engine?

19. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

1957 BMW 507 by Raymond Loewy with coachwork by Pichon-Parat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today:

[​IMG]

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Funny thing about Loewy: many exciting car designs came out of his studio, but on the rare occasions that he had one tricked out for himself, the results were... umm... odd.

I think that Goertz' original design for the 507 was enormously better looking that Loewy's coupe.

21. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

That is so true, I have thought the same thing...

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

[​IMG]

Cook's work may be an acquired taste, but he certainly relishes swoopy.

Regarding the controversy about the wedge/rake on the earlier rendering vs. the final article, I still think that the original artwork has a very distinctive and innovative look -- specifically because of the wedge and rake. The skirted front wheels are what makes it work, in spite of the conventional view that a car with (rear) skirts should never sit on a rake.

The Bosley is still an object of wonder to me. For an amateur builder to take on such a complex design and build it from scratch as his first effort is almost unimaginable. Strother MacMinn was crazy about this design, saying that it was an extremely innovative shape, especially having been done by an amateur.

It was on exhibit in the lobby of the Petersen a while ago, and the car is much more attractive in the round than its photographs would suggest.

I like the car fairly well; I love the new paint.

Mac didn't show a great many designs once he started teaching at Art Center, but when he did they were almost always worthy of note. He loved aerodynamics and their influence on body shape, and this body really showed it off. It's too bad that the design was never really executed in a well-finished form (could still happen, though; one body still exists in the raw).

You're right, John, and I don't know the answer. The lack of doors or deck on a fiberglass special isn't very surprising, but engine access is a necessity. Maybe it has a small engine hatch that you can't see in the low angle view.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  23. Because I can

Because I can

always thought this was pretty cool . . .

arrivettbros.jpg

and this . . . well . . . not mine

60409_432967766849_110301641849_5767661_7241867_n.jpg

the Eldo

395930_265027946894670_100001623996548_715622_1474298859_n.jpg

Nash

MetroNash.jpg

24. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Love to know how they pulled off the wheels on the Black Eldo with that positive offset of the front-wheel drive ?...

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

"Geometry? We don' need no steenkin' geometry!"

26. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

You're right, John, and I don't know the answer. The lack of doors or deck on a fiberglass special isn't very surprising, but engine access is a necessity. Maybe it has a small engine hatch that you can't see in the low angle view.[/QUOTE]

I think you nailed it Tony - look at the rear veiw photo, looks like a body gap visible above the pass. side rear veiw mirror.

27. Had this back in the late 70's
    [​IMG]

Always thought it was pretty Swoopy

28. indianhead74

indianhead74

What is it about car guys that know good look'in when they see it. Can you believe what ugly ass vehicles are being sold as cool today. Everytime a cross-over or big butt car passes me on the interstate I think how little we will lose when it's crushed into something else. Nice pic's! Indy

29. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Tony,

If ya think the BMW ( Broke-My-Walet) Loewy is credited with, HA! is an ''interesting'' study in automotive design, try and hunt down a picture of the '59 Caddy he '' penned ''!

Looks as though Bosley spent alota time in the study of Ferrari 166 & 212's bodied by Carrozzeria Touring.

The body of glassfibre bodied " Maverick '' hinges from the front, much like a '' prostock '' drag car IIRC:eek:

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The tainted Pork "

30. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

You must be referring to this gem....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]