Register now to get rid of these ads!

(Round 2) Just another Model A build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Vandal, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Beau

Beau

Won't that rear suspension break if it's set up like that?

Lookin good. They don't always have to be low. Keep it up.

2. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I put alot of thought in the rear suspension. And the points of the anti-"frame mount" crowd made sense in text...But there is no bind in my suspension and it works flawlessly. ALL of the horror stories I have read about have included folks that used original rear wishbones and mounted them to the frame rails, which are considerably weaker than a well built hair pin. I have taken alot of shit from fellow HAMBers for it but oh well. I promise that if I die from a rear suspension failure, i will haunt my wife and tell her to post the details of my demise so the list of "I told you so's" can be dispensed.:D

3. Beau

Beau

Just wondering. I have been searching a lot of threads on rear set-ups. It's hard to understand what is good and bad. everything I read says this is bad. I'd just keep an eye on it and avoid any rock crawling attempts. ;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Rock crawling huh? My car is high enough for it!:rolleyes: I know what you mean about being confused and I'm sure i'll take some more shit for what I am about to say... but hairpins on the side of the frame are extremely dangerous and kill everyone that tries them. So dangerous that multiple companies such as speedway motors and similar outfits sell the complete kits to do this rear end treatment and have for decades. That seems like alot of liability for a company to sign up for. Or, this might be a conspiracy to kill all the hot rodders so the Prius can thrive?

5. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

very nice job

6. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Thanks Bobo!

7. Knoxville

Knoxville

I still don't think any of us can believe you got this thing rolling in time.....crazy bastard.

8. MTRodder

MTRodder
    from Laurel, MT

Now that is funny. But i think it will take more than that for those to catch on. Great build by the way.

9. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

My band is playing this year at Viva Las Vegas and I am contemplating taking this car for the 1200 mile round trip. So I put a heater in the car for my wife. I used the grill off of an old "Hadees" 30s heater, a heater core from a 69 chevelle, and a computer fan. Seems like it will work just fine when i get a roof.

Attached Files:

10. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Its been a while since ive posted any progress pics because well, there hasnt been much. Other than changing motors any driving the car as much as I can, I havent done a whole lot lately. But i'll post a few pics of what I have been working on.

11. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I am lucky to have a good friend who bought a clean body to take measurements off of. I spent quite some time getting doors aligned better and doing body work on the roof panels so I can have it wrapped in the original material.
    [​IMG]

12. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I dont know what this passenger side roof panel is off of but I had to cut it and add a piece of metal to make it work.

[​IMG]

13. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I stopped by a fellow hot rodders house around the corner to check out his projects and he happened to have a 30-31 Model A hood he gave me to cut up! Here is a mockup of the hood that doesn't fit in any way. The line of the top section of the hood doesn't flow off the cowl body line, The hood doesn't fit the radius of the cowl, Its about a half inch too long, and it has a body line that needs to disappear. [​IMG]

14. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Here is the top of the 30-31 hood after hammer and dollying the body line out, shortening the hood and re-bending it to fit the 28-28 cowl[​IMG]

Here it is marked for cuts. I took a pie cut out of each side and flipped em around to make the bottom flow better with the car.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  15. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Here it is welded up and ground down. The hood sides are not quite done yet and are going to have to be cut just as much to look right. But when its done the hood should make a good big block cover and will work just as henry designed it hinges and all.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You did a killer job in a short amount of time. Car looks great. Don't worry bout the rear hairpins, mine have been on my 27 for 25 years and I abuse the hell out of mine and have even raced it with slicks.

I enjoyed reading the entire thread tonight. :)

Don

17. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

thanks Don! I have much more work ahead of me but I hope to have car blown apart and primed this winter. And your hairpins wont work like that!:D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  18. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

My wife brought home a 1964 10 foot cardinal Camp trailer, So I figured I would try something crazy and build a hitch for it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  19. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

20. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

21. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Now onto my next project for the sedan. I have been using an old boat gas tank that is hideous and takes way too much space in the back of the car. the back seat area of the sedan is the only place that I can put the gas tank, but I really want to have a back seat. This might not be a popular idea, but I'm going to build a back seat/gas tank combo:eek:. The objective is to build a slim profile tank that can be upholstered and act as a back rest for the back seat.

22. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Here is the sheet metal marked out for surgery
    [​IMG]

23. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

24. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

here is my center baffle

[​IMG]

25. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Here is most of it tacked in place. Now I have to shape the curved seat portions of the tank, figure out a sending unit, pickup tube, and fill tube. Hope to be done with it by within the next week.
    [​IMG]

26. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Ready for mounting brackets , filler tube, and finish welding. [​IMG]

27. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

28. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Now on to my next pain in the ass:trying to get a 53 ford dash to fit my sedan. Never done a dash project before so wish me luck.[​IMG]

29. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Marked for surgery [​IMG]

30. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal