Register now to get rid of these ads!

O.K. Transmission Trouble AOD 50 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dolsen37, Jul 22, 2012.

1. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

O.K.Guys I've had it. Built a 50 Merc with 351 W and 90 Lincoln AOD. Put the car together being told the Trans was re-built. Took it to Goodguys in Des Moines and Trans was acting up. Car shifted "soft" and would run in OD but half way through trip OD was gone. I know quite a bit about setting TV pressure and set it all before trip. Got home pulled trans to have it re-built. Put it in yesterday set TV to specs 0 PSI in neutral and 35 PSI with gauge installed. Took it for a ride and shifted from 1 to 2 fine but would not shift into 3rd or OD. Made minor adjustments to TV with no success. Transmission Guy who re-built trans assisted with all this. Bottom line is Trans is out again back at shop. Pretty much smoked the thing again. I know all about how TV pressure can make a difference but I need feedback on what could be wrong. I am changing the pressure plate in the morning and have ordered a new bell housing plate. I have Lokar shifter mechanism and TV cable. I read on the net that aftermarket TV levers can cause the TV valve to stick open but I don't know. Any feedback might help. Oh ya by the way the car needs to be on the road to KKOA in Salina by Friday.

Thanks for your help and ideas.

Dan

2. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

oh crap, this is bad.. I wish I had something to help out

Jeff

3. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

There are two different lengths of arms that actuate the TV valve in the transmission. One for carbureted and TBI injection and one for port fuel injection. Also I have heard mixed results with the Lokar setup.

Or it may be a problem in the transmission not related to the TV valve or Lokar setup. Years ago I did one in an early 90's Mustang that I had out at least 3 time cause it kept burning up the OD band. Wound up fixing it by getting a different core, rebuilding it and never heard from the customer again.

4. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Good luck Dan! I hear the ride is nice!

I gave a 302 OD combo to Terry and SOT's for Sololobo's ride.
    I hear they used the engine but I don't know if they used the tranny. May be an option for you if they haven't used it??

Hope to see ya soon.....

- jr.

5. George

George

TCI makes a costant pressre valve body that ends the gnats ass adjustment on the cable. Cable still needs to be used, just the adj isn't as critical.

6. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Thanks for the feedback, Trans is being rebuilt again and will be installing again tonight. Thought about the constant pressure valve body but very $$$$$ and wont have time to get it shipped and in by Friday. I guess we will try again. Made some calls and sounds like Torque Conv did not have enough play back and forth after install causing the pump to burn up. Changed flex plate and cleaned out pilot hole in crank. Cross your fingers because if this does not work this time the car might end up at U Pull It.

Dan

7. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Forgot to add it's only going to be 107 degrees in Omaha today making this real fun.

8. yellowf100

yellowf100
    Member Emeritus

i have an 81 302 and aod from a lincoln town car in my 53 f100, it is set up with a 4 bbl and uses a lokar throttle cable and tv cable set up,i set the tv per lokar instructions and have 25,000 plus miles so far with no problems, the tv pressure is very important from what ive been told

9. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

I've heard mostly good things about the Lokar set-up, but the one issue I've heard they can have is the cable can get stuck and the TV cable won't return to zero pressure. You should be able to add a return spring to the transmission end of the cable that will prevent it from sticking.

Here's a video that kindof explains this issue and how to fix it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZwsQViZilQ

10. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Thanks, I agree and had a return spring on it when it went bad and I have watched that video as well. I appreciate your feedback.

Dan

11. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

[Q Cross your fingers because if this does not work this time the car might end up at U Pull It.

Dan[/QUOTE] I wish ya luck,also I started my own upull it. So let me know when you want to drop it off:D Let me know if you need anything....

12. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

WTF... Have you seen this car?

13. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

hahaha. obviously not. I was thinking he could drop it of at my junk yard. I have plenty of non-runners here..

Jeff

14. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Oh just reading this... you still need help?

15. alchemy

alchemy

I've never heard a fireman complain about the temperature before. :)

Good luck, that's a gorgeous car!

16. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Found out why we smoked 2 transmissions. When I built the car the engine did not have a flex plate attached. I purchased a flex plate for the year make model of the engine 1971 351 Windsor Ford reman engine. Picked up a flex plate at parts store and installed trans. Well after we smoke the first trans and as it was being rebuilt I purchased a second flex plate from a new parts store " just to be safe". Installed second rebuilt trans (with the help of the trans tech who rebuilt it for me). Smoked trans # 2. Pulled and went through it again. At the last minute before re-install I called parts store and found out after much questioning that there is a difference depth wise between a 351 W 2 barrel car flex plate and a 351 W 4 barrel flex plate. Now you tell me why the depth of a flex plate between a 2 barrel car and a 4 barrel car would make a difference but it did. The 4 barrel flex plate has a slightly deeper offset which caused the torque converter to bottom out on the pump burning it up twice. 2 barrel flex plate is "flatter" allowing for 1/8" play in torque converter. I made sure each time that the torque converter was seated in its location. Bottom line was flex plate was wrong and parts store explained the difference as 2 or 4 barrel. Most likely the difference was C4 or C6 transmissions which were probably equipped with the different carbs. Now if we can get the OD to engage we are good.

Thanks for the feedback.

By the way this car is about as "traditional" as you can get with the exception of the drive train. Reason for the late model drive train is because it is my Wifes car that she will drive my kids in. They will be following me in one of my 32's.

Dan Olsen

17. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Dan,you don't have to make excuses to anyone.We no where you've been,where your at, and can't wait to see where your going. Viva South Omaha.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  18. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Sorry to hear about your problems Dan. I just read this thread and was about to respond when I read your last post saying that you found the problem. A guy in our club had the same problem with the same cause. The trans builder told him that he didn't have the torque convertor properly seated and that's what caused the first failure. The trans guy installed the second built trans himself and had the same failure. It wasn't until then that they saw the flexplate was pulling the torque convertor out too far from the trans when bolted up. I hope that others may read this post and learn from these very costly efforts.

19. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Charlie,

Thanks for the reply, started to think I was the only one with this problem. I did post this for help but wanted to spread the word so that others can be very careful.

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I have the same AOD in my car now. Seems like us Ford guys have to work a little harder and more often to keep up with the belly button power trains.:D Does the 700 r4 trans swap come with the same set of problems?

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Dan, does it seem to fixed and shifting into OD? I sure hope so!
    I'll give you a call to see what time you're leaving for Salina.
    Jason and his dad (in his Coupe) and myself (in the Roadster) are planning on leaving around 7am, meeting Jess at Speedway, and taking 2-lanes to Salina.

Malcolm

22. George

George

This is a bit strange. The 351-2V usually has an FMX & the 351-4V has the C-6, doesn't matter if it's a C or W. I've exchanged C-2Vs & C-4Vs w/o any changes or any problems. In the late 70s ford put C-4s behind 351s & then AODs, Did they change flexplates for those engines?:confused:

23. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

man I can say from my recent experience id go 700r4 from now on , but I have an aid in the ford. it was a bitch and a half to set up but here are my tips......

check the geometry of the cable action at the trans and at the carb it makes a huge difference I had to make my own at the carb because the tcp and lokar ones were wrong .

add a second spring to the leaver on the trans , this might be why you burnt the thing up , if it doesn't return perfectly back every time it will burn the mother up . I found out a ton of stuff and these tips just by goggling night after night.

I hope it helps, next car is getting a 700r4 and an adaptor... those things are easy!

Im running a inline 300 AOD and ford 9 inch 85 on the freeway and 28 miles to the gallon

beat that toyota.

24. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012