Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My roadster pickup project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, Roger. I do miss certain things about living up north, and the 4 seasons are one of them. After a hard winter it was so nice to finally see spring arrive.

Blue One, not only do you have those great summers, but you also live in a really beautiful place too.

Steve, I have heard of Fusor but have never used it. Is it a two part ?

Today when we got to the shop I figured I would work on my rpu and Dan would work on his Mustang, but he told me he was going to spend the whole day helping me get my floor done and in. I didn't feel right taking his day off from him, but I did appreciate his help.

The first thing we did was get the whole interior ground clean one last time before gluing down the floor panels. Dan spent a few hours making sure everything was rustfree, especially since a lot of the spots will be inaccessible once the panels are down. Here is the subframe, ready to start the gluing.

[​IMG]

Then we coated the tops of the subframe with the 3M panel adhesive and laid down the floors. We are temporarily holding them down with Clecos until the panel adhesive drys. Then we will remove them and put rivits in their place. This was a major obstacle to overcome and now we can start on the body work and stuff like building a bench seat.

Here are a couple of pictures of where we left off tonight, I know it looks just like a previous picture I posted, but this time the floors will never have to come off again. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those 4 large holes in the floor in the pictures are for a 9/16 socket to go down into to tighten up the bolts that will hold the body to the frame. There are 6 total, two more are out of sight in the picture and are in the back part of the floor. I will buy some rubber plugs that are 1 inch in diameter to seal those holes up at the end.

Don

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don yes the Fusor is a 2 part adhesieve, its incredibly good, I did a test on 2 16swg pieces and the steel sheet tore before the joint.
    I use the 127 for bonding aluminium to glassfibre but they do a complete range for different materials.

Floor looks ace mate.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, Steve. That Fusor sounds like tough stuff. Dan and I were both working hard to get the 3M stuff off our hands and last night, good thing lacquer thinner attacks it.

BTW, Dan and I have really started to like that Woodchuck Cider, we toasted getting the floor in with it last night. I am starting to feel very British ! :D

Don

4. sololobo

sololobo

Outstanding build, love the creativity you always are cpable of. Congrats on re-building an old dream car. ~sololobo~

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, Solo. It does feel good to sort of clone my old car. :) It isn't exactly the same, but has the essence of the old one.

Don

6. swissmike

swissmike

Great work guys! Really well thought out and executed. Can't wait to see it done. Should be a fun ride!

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, Mike. If you go to Billetproof next Spring we might get to meet up. Maybe, just maybe I might have it done by then.

Don

8. swissmike

swissmike

Sounds like a plan! I'll also be at the TRR with the rest of the MISFIRES in the club parking.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Oh great, we will probably be parking with Greg in the HAMB area, so we could meet up at Daytona too. Everytime I try to meet up with someone at TR it never works out, the place is so big and so many people that it always seems we pass like ships in the night. We also hit the swap meet the second we get there and don't leave it for the full 4 days.

Don

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No more Clecos !!!!!!!!!! :D Last night we removed all of the Clecos and put rivits in their place. So for all practical purposes, my floor is officially done.

My next step is to clean up the rest of the metal inside the cockpit and then lay on a couple of coats of epoxy primer. Once that is done I will be able to flip the body over and prime the underside. Then bodywork can begin.

Here is how the floor looks now with all the rivits in place. Between the adhesive and the steel rivits, this floor ain't moving. :)

Don

[​IMG]

11. pitman

pitman

Damn, so where's the mirrors for under the car???
    Angel hair? Spotlights?
    Looks great there Don.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, Pitman. I have to say I am really glad to get this job behind me. My Son pushed me to cut out the former subframe and to just start over, and in hindsight he was right. It just made for a better job, even though I didn't feel like all the extra work. But it is over now, at least this phase. :D

Don

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cool. Those dammed things are hard on your feet! Gary

14. Well Don, the standards has now been set.
    Looking forward to a lot more great bodywork.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Tell me about it, remember when we said see you in the morning at TR, I walked around all day and never saw you guys !!!
    The swapmeet was huge, I had my langys rodshop t shirt on and I met a succession of people off here who came up and spoke to me, I asked everybody "have you seen Don" nobody had, I reckon you were avoiding me lol

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don that floor looks excellent, you both did a great job, I shall give it a closer look later this year.

17. Don That floor looks great hope mine look as good as yours. Great job

Frenchy

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Gary, those Clecos leave lots of bumps under the carpeting too. :D

Thanks, Lifestylz. Bodywork is one of the tasks I hate the worst, but this body is so small it won't be too bad to do. We have always said that doing bodywork is what keeps us from building customs. :eek:

Steve, that same thing happens every year. We arrange to meet up with someone at TR and when we get there the crowd is so huge and the infield so large that we never hook up. The other thing is that the car show part is not what we go for, we just become absorbed by the swap meet. Literally, from the minute we park our cars until they start shooing people out, we stay in the swap meet area the whole time.

Don

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Any progress old fella :D

20. SIC98

SIC98

Wow Don, this is amazing work, it is so cool to see this Father and Sons project, I hoped to be able to see it at Billetproof Drags, but it looks like we will have to wait for Daytona for the big revealing, can't wait to see it done!!.......Brian

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, SIC98. I might make the drags next year, but not this time around, or even TR for that matter. Just too much to do.

Steve, no real progress to speak of. We did get the round holes in the cowl welded up, the ones where the cowl lights went and where Dan originally had cowl steering coming through, but that is about it. We have been working mainly on putting a 10 point cage in Don's Capri. We've never done a cage before but it is a change of pace and we are taking our time on it.

Today is Dan's day off, so I am going to let him work on his Mustang project and I am going to start cutting some of the lower sections of the cowl off on my rpu and cut the patch panels to fit. Not particularly exciting work, but at least I am down to body work. :D

Last Friday I had all these plans to get some work done on my rpu but an alternator fell off of a shelf and landed on my left foot, so that put an end to that day's work. I never knew a foot could turn that black and not fall off ! :eek:

Thanks for asking.

Don

22. Very clean work!!

23. I bet the language was not very easy on the ear at the time Don, did you keep your shoe on until yo got home as sometimes the foot will swell so much it is imposible to get any foot wear on again. Hope you are felling better now?

24. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

That had to blo Don ... I'm sure the foot will be back to full mobility in a week or two.

Have you guys posted some build pix of the stang/capri project someplace - I'd dig progress pix.

Paul

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

What are you old people like, hahaha

Seriously though I hope it heals well Don and your back on it ASAP, take care bud.

26. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Since I have a soft spot for rpu's and old Olds engines, this truck is a win/win in my book. Plus that awesome work you guys do. Hope I get to see it in person some day.

27. Lamb

Lamb

looking really clean Don!

28. Heal up, we need some updates here!

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I haven't done a darned thing on it for a while. My two Sons and I have been busy putting the cage in my Son Don's Capri. We are almost done on that, so I am going to get back on the rpu this week, I hope. I think I will work on the patch panels for the cowl section and then work on the doors a little.

But thanks for asking, and I'll be sure to post more hopefully this week. :)

Don

30. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

This is what happens when you do such good work & progress right along ... we expect regular updates & progress.

How bout the capri updates Don??

Paul