Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2012 MELTDOWN DRAGS * Vintage Drag Meet * July 21-22

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Dec 19, 2011.

1. smautobody

smautobody

We all had a great time at the event i was glad to meet everyone and enjoyed racing lil red and meeting John our best run was a [email protected] thanks to the fugitives great party for sure sat nite we were racing bicycles at nite the track owner stopped by for a laugh I hope we put on a good show for you all thanks again steve 'blew by you'

2. bgas56

bgas56

My hat goes off to both the Fugitives and Byron.Man has this event blossomed from the first year sharing the track with the junior dragsters!

From The SWC car ,the vast sea of truly VINTAGE vehicles,the fantastic racing,total sensory overload.

Over two hundred cars from all over the country for a fifteen buck spectator fee? Hell that's cheaper than a magazine subscription.To all THANK YOU for bringing your vintage cars.The event is truly a must see due to you!!

3. josh77

josh77

I didn't take any action shots, here's some pics from the staging lanes.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Again a huge thanks to everyone that came out to support the track and our event. We had a talk with the owners and track personnel and they were impressed with the lack of attitudes and the laid back feeling everyone had. Sharon that was staging cars could not believe how smooth it went. Everyone came up with your match race and knew what was going on. We can't say enough how proud we are to bring everyone together for this 1965 drag race party.

Please send me pictures to [email protected] so I can start posting them on the website this week. Or a link to them.

I heard we had just over 300 cars and nearly 5000 spectators. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for making this event so groovy!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  5. rdrnr33

rdrnr33
    from Macomb, IL

Here are some of our pics.

Attached Files:

6. rdrnr33

rdrnr33
    from Macomb, IL

Here's more.

Attached Files:

7. rdrnr33

rdrnr33
    from Macomb, IL

And more.

Attached Files:

8. Hellfish

Hellfish

From the driver's meeting: "Rule #1 is No f***king whining" :)

That sucks, but you can't blame the track for that.

This was my 3rd Meltdown, my 2nd racing (slowly), and it definitely won't be my last. Great job Fugitives! You brought in an impressive collection of REAL race cars. Everything seemed to go smoothly all day.

9. Had a great time.Talked with a lot'a good people too!.Thanks MeltDown folk.

10. rdrnr33

rdrnr33
    from Macomb, IL

More

Attached Files:

11. Saxxon

Saxxon

Rolled into the driveway about an hour ago (8:30 am) smelling like burned rubber, race fuel and 3 sweaty guys after 16 hours in a crew cab. Not sure there will be enough Frebreeze anywhere to clear that up.

Thanks to Byron and the Fugitives for a fantastic weekend. Everyone made us feel welcome and very special.

I knew back in Nov when I pre-registered, with the Scout in pieces, that I was going to attend one way or another. Even with that much expectation I was blown away by the event and felt priviledged to be part of it. Being pitted between Barbara and Inlaw Model A was a blast (thanks). Paul... special thanks to you for welcoming us to the event right from the time we rolled through the gates Friday afternoon. That was really special. Another thanks to Redline for the match races Saturday. Next year man... we do big Big BIG burnouts and side by side dry hops for the fans.

The Scout was running great (10.88 best) and we pulled a couple of big wheelstands. The truck got more than it's fair share of attention which made me very proud to be part of it's resurrection. But having said that possibly the best memory of the weekend was Inlaw Model A's silly grin when, just as we were pulling out to go home, he told us the Fiat went 10.80 something... that's a solid Atta-boy !!

I have a video of the Scouts last and very dramatic bar bending / front axle crushing last pass. As soon as I download everything I'll post it up. The truck is bent but not broken... we will be back !

Next year we hope to have 2 cars... Whoo hoo.

12. 300/5000 WOW!!! Gonna git bigger!

13. rdrnr33

rdrnr33
    from Macomb, IL

Another batch.
    HPIM1790.jpg HPIM1793.jpg
    HPIM1796.jpg HPIM1797.jpg
    HPIM1800.jpg HPIM1801.jpg
    HPIM1806.jpg HPIM1790.jpg
    HPIM1793.jpg HPIM1796.jpg
    HPIM1797.jpg HPIM1800.jpg
    HPIM1801.jpg HPIM1806.jpg

14. barbara

barbara
    from wisconsin

i have to apologize to saxxon...i called his scout a bronco.
    lack of sleep i guess...sorry man!

doug

15. It was my pleasure to meet YOU "Scoutmaster" and maybe I can bring more to the table next year and be a worthy opponent...Your Scout is truely an "ANIMAL"!!!!Also,tanks fer lookin out fer me at the big end! I look forward to seein ya next year! ~Redliner~

16. Saxxon

Saxxon

Hey Doug... No harm no foul...
    The track announcer called a Bronco on my first pass and the completely butchered my name and hometown / Province on my second pass. To his credit, he came back on and corrected it all and gave me some serious props on every pass...

My pleasure Redline... that's what racers should do for each other. I'll tear it apart tomorrow and assess the damage. Be assured that the little beast WILL be back for next year

Time for me to get some sleep... just too wired to do so when I got home.

Cheers

17. rdrnr33

rdrnr33
    from Macomb, IL

Last set. We only attended Saturday, but should have done the whole weekend!
    HPIM1810.jpg HPIM1811.jpg
    HPIM1812.jpg HPIM1813.jpg
    HPIM1814.jpg HPIM1815.JPG
    HPIM1817.jpg

Attached Files:

18. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Thank you to the Fugitives and Byron for a memorable weekend. I have been to many events this summer but this was my favorite. I was just a spectator this year with family and friends but we hope to bring cars next year. Sitting in the stands really took me back in time to when I was a kid at the race. It was period correct.
    Thanks again!

19. josh77

josh77

No whining here! Saturday was the first time I've ever gone down a drag strip, so I've got no other track to compare it to, but it was plenty sticky (the question was about track prep). The wheel hopping holeshot that hurt the car was all on me. :D I CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR (with a stouter rear suspension)......

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  20. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Had a great time as well! I was completely surprised how fast some of the cars were & loved the crazy burnouts & wheelstands!

Will definetly be back next year!

21. Saxxon

Saxxon

Here's the carnage shot...

Wheelie bars failed then it came down hard. So far we're sure we've trashed the axle, shock, shock mount and possibly the driver side spring (Doesn't look good). All repairable...

The aftermath...

Yes...Gravity sucks !!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  22. You are truel the "Scoutmaster"!!! Cool Video!

23. Hell yeah... let me know where I can help!

What did you do to the rear?:confused: Were you able to drive home?

24. josh77

josh77

My dad ran home for a trailer (he lives 8 miles away, nice!), we racked it up at his shop and I had enough adjustment in the bars to get the pinion angle back and drove it almost home. It's at my brother's now to box the 4 bar mount and reinforce the crossmember. I also cheesed the clutch slave mount, and kept oil fouling #1 and #3 plugs, the vitals are fine, we figure it didn't have enough crankcase ventilation, it was pushing out the left valve cover gasket on the freeway too, damn 4.10 RPMs, LOL. Parts are ordered. Small potatoes compared to some...Damn Saxxon!
    Considering the car only had 300 street miles on it when I left, drove 100 miles to the track, and made it back under it's own power, this weekend was a total success. I figured balls out was the only way to find the weak links, so I can go out and try it again....
    Can't say enough about the track and the people that put this on, other than we need more events like this!!!!

25. ...had a great time at the Meltdown; was only going Sat. but had to come back for more on Sun. The great attitudes of everyone attending is awesome.
    ...for those who didn't hang around to the end; here's what happened to one of my favorite altered WB cars, after a couple wheelies off the line, could've been worse, at least it stay'd together...
    [​IMG]
    ...and one of my best action shots...
    [​IMG]
    ...can't wait for next year!....and I want in on those bicycle drags next year!

26. smautobody

smautobody

one other thing I forgot to comment on the kickass goody bags those are by far the best I've seen and the meltdown bottle of beer no way could I open it thats going on the shelf

27. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Great Event. By far one of the best I have ever been too. A friend and I drove the 550 (one way) miles from Northwest Minnesota to see the drags. It was well worth the road trip. We will most definitely be back next year, probably with a camper and maybe a car....

28. Martys 55

Martys 55

well i found out why my car didnt hook my buddy posted a video on youtube in slow motion, i redid the shock mounts and some new braces and had a BRAIN FART and the rear shocks bottomed out and unloaded the rear end,3/4'' down travel is all i had [what a dumb ass i am] so i guess throw away leaf springs and floaters worked good with the sbc 20 years, so i guess up grade bigger ladder bars and coil overs, first outing in 20 years run 10.60s marty

29. M&H Racemaster

M&H Racemaster

the schwinn jaguar was challenged!!!! on the third pass my jeans got caught up in the chain guard and in to the sprocket. blew the transmission !!!!