Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang/Falcon gas tank in Shoebox Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Jul 21, 2012.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

i've seen it mentioned a couple of times and wondering how it's done; i can understand why, i think, as no affordable repops are available. do you guys who use them keep the fill tube inside the trunk or make a new one to reach the fender?

2. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Trunk fill, run a one way vent/roll over valve from a filler neck to outside the trunk space.

3. 62rebel

62rebel

do you bolt it up to the trunk floor from beneath, or hang it with straps? sorry, i just can't seem to find a clear depiction of an installation in steps.
    wondering because i've pretty much made the deal on the '51 and am selling my Falcon to help defray expenses. i have a brand new gas tank in it that i might keep to use on the '51.

4. id say youd mount it like ford did in the mustang cut a huge gapping hole in the trunk floor and drop in the tank and bolt it in from the top

5. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

There is an outer lip on the mustang tank that is just about 1/2-inch wide with multiple holes punched for mounting. You can weld up a perimeter frame from 3/4-inch or 1-inch L channel and weld or fasten that down in your trunk pan. I shaved my gas door, so I am just setting up a fill neck inside the trunk. I attached a picture of what the mustang tank looks like.

Attached Files:

6. shoebox50

shoebox50

mustang tank in my 50 ford.

Attached Files:

7. EssexCoupe

EssexCoupe
    from Vantucky

Shoebox50 - I love your car man.

8. That is a nice clean look.
    I know this is an older thread, but was wondering how you vented fuel tank?
    Did you also build a firewall?

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We put Mustang tanks in just about anything they will fit in. They are a real problem solver. I prefer the filler neck to be outside the vehicle, but in either case, I use the stock filler neck (shortened for inside, extended for outside), and weld on a 3/4" bung and a hose barb, available at most plumbing houses, for the vent, just below where the cap is. To that, I attach fuel safe hose, and run it to another bung and barb, welded to the floor, in the center, away from the exhaust. 3/4" may sound large, but California's vapor recovery compliant gas pumps often pump at such a rate that they will back-flow, and and shut the pump off, or worse, spill on the bodywork, or in the trunk, if the vent is not large enough.

Alternately, you could get a 3/4" NPT coupler, and saw it in half, to make two weld-on bungs. Just remove the plating before welding.

Every vehicle I build that has a fuel tank that is inside the envelope of a closed body, or a tank that comprises a part of the envelope of the body, like a Mustang tank, I install a fully-sealed bulkhead, and package tray. Vehicle fires are rare, but they are VERY, VERY FAST.

This might be overkill, but as the builder, I have to have my customer's safety in mind.

10. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI