Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

1912 Stoddard Dayton Speed Car

[​IMG]

2. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

Bill Evans starting the Blitzen Benz on the spark -

[​IMG]

96HP likes this.
  3. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

Indy roadsters

[​IMG]

Terry Castles Miller 183 engine

[​IMG]

4. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

1923 Miller Jr 8 Special - a 122 engine

[​IMG]

1919 Miller TNT with 183 engine

[​IMG]

1931 Miller V16

[​IMG]

5. LeeStohr

LeeStohr
    from Washington

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Lee Stohr kindy shared photos w/us at theoldmotor.com and we have others for you see of the event along with links. Thanks, Lee

96HP likes this.
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Is that number 11 an early junior johnson car?

9. Peppered Rat

Peppered Rat

Hi! I'm looking for my great-grandfather's racecar - or one of them. He had at least 2 cars that were raced between 1915 and 1917. His name was Floyd Willard and his cars were called "The Red Devil Ford" and "The Prince Henry Ford". He raced against Glenn Breed and Sig Haugedahl (sp?) many times all over the country. Any assistance in finding these cars or directing me to other sources that may be of help in locating these cars would be greatly appreciated!!! I have attached some pictures for reference. I would like to return at least one of these cars to its original majesty and bring it back home to our family. Can anyone here help? Thank you!

Attached Files:

10. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

I have just acquired a Miller type Master carburettor which I intend to use on the engine of my 1920's racing car.

Does anyone have any information on these carburettors (and the serial numbers) which may help with tuning and dating the one I have, please :) ? Thanks!

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a search of the US Patent office will usually turn up the patents (numbers are on the carb).

As to tuning, that is done by the use of jet bars, and I have never found a source that gave a break down as to individual jet bars, sizes, etc.

Good luck, have used many over the years and am really fond of them. not so good at low or mid range, but great when wide open.

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good Luck. The first car, as you probably know is a Model T based special. From a quick glance you could aquire most of the parts to build a recreation of the car relatively easily. have fun searching.

13. Peppered Rat

Peppered Rat

Thanks - I'll be posting more pictures of fun times on the dirt tracks Pop Willard raced soon - so stay tuned!

14. Peppered Rat

Peppered Rat

Here's a nice picture - May 5, 1915 at Coffeyville, KS. My great-grandpa, Floyd Willard is second from the left in his Red Devil Ford. To his right is well known driver, Glenn Breed, and to his left is his good friend Sid Haugdahl. Not sure who won this race, but who cares!

Attached Files:

15. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

We are trying to learn more about this 1909 FCR racing car that competed at the Gaillon Hill Climb in France

The displacement is reported to be of 5672 cc, with a bore x stroke of 85 x 250 mm, it was rated at 100 h.p.

If you do the math to inches it is 3.3465″x 9.8425″ (Yes 9 + inches) with a displacement of 346 c.i.

Stop by theoldmotor.com to see more photos and leave a comment if you know more about it.

16. ebtm3

ebtm3

Wonder if it could exceed 1500 RPM?

Look at the size of that stack, in relation to the size (of what look to be caged) exhaust valves!

Herb

17. Red Pepper,
    A couple links to photos you might already be aware of from the Glenbow Museum in Calgary, AB that features your great-grandfather.

Here and here.

Also mentions of Floyd Willard in 1917 at my little blog here and here.

18. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

That particular Laurin & Klement has been featured here before but we didn't dig into it. The Typ. FCR was the company's 100 H.P. racing model for 1909. Two racing models were built in 1908, the FC which had a 84mm & 110mm bore & stroke and was an L-head design of 8 cylinders {see first photo} similar to the 1907 Typ. FF. The FCS was the company's first OHV engine {see second photo} with a bore and stroke of 86mm & 150mm and gave a power output of 96 H.P. I don't know how well these cars performed in hillclimbs and such, i had a quick browse through some 1909 and 1910 editions of La Vie au Grand Air and didn't find anything. However, it seems the cars were well suited to rallies and trials. At the 1910 Alpine Rally, Laurin & Klement took out the Team Prize with Hieronimus, Count Kolowrat and Count Draskovic.

Attached Files:

19. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I spent a good few hours on your blog yesterday. Good stuff.

20. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Thanks for the details......

21. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Digney, thanks for posting the information on the HAMB. We have been doing a little searching for Canadian Supermodified drivers from an era later than this thread is aimed at so stumbling across your blog is appreciated.

Do I assume that Peppered Rats great great grandfather was from Edmonton? A number of years ago I wrote a history of motorsports at the Canadian National Exhibition for the inaugural running of what was then the Molson Indy for National Speed Sport News. The Toronto papers of the time offered a great deal of promotional information about the races in the 1920 and 30's but strangely virtually no follow up for results. What I did find fascinating was that the promotion if you will for the races had some link of the drivers to Canadian relatives. Some were even listed at being Canadian when history of course showed they were not.

Great stuff and again thank you.

22. I don't believe Floyd Willard is connected to Canada in any way other than racing.

Interesting to note that in 1919 there was a Spencer Willard racing with the IMCA.

23. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Floyd Willard was from Albert Lea, Mn., the same town from where Sig Haugdahl started his racing career. And I am pretty sure that "Spencer Willard" is just a mistake by the newspaper, and it was actually Floyd racing. Floyd is the only Willard I have in my data base for the period, and he raced from 1914 to '24, minimum. By the way, Floyd was once promoted as a cousin of heavyweight boxing champion Jess Willard, but I suppose that was just promotional BS. "Peppered Rat" may be able to confirm one way or another.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you'd like a Fronty-Ford print I just listed these in the classified section. Bob

Attached Files:

25. ehdubya

ehdubya

26. Your blog is a good way to lose a day or two! Thanks for the "Canadian Content", Sure brings back some great memories.:D

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Attached Files:

28. ehdubya

ehdubya

29. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Bob

The Mantaray was built on Prince Bira's Supercharged car. Many years later Jefferies ex sold the engines to a fellow in Long Beach CA then I think they went off to Bob Rubin out by you. I never learned if the second chassis turned up

30. James12

James12
    from canada

Hi guys i like to see auto race am always watch whenever race held.
    Auto racing 1894-1944 competition is very interesting and i was really enjoy it.