Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2012 MELTDOWN DRAGS * Vintage Drag Meet * July 21-22

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Some pics from Sat. This was the best event I have ever been to.

Attached Files:

2. josh77

josh77

I'm no authority about track conditions, as this was my first time racing, but I twisted my chromoly 4 bar crossmember doing a 4500 rpm holeshot off the line on street radials. The pinion was pointing towards the floor after that pass......

3. josh77

josh77

I agree, I can't wait for next year, I'll post pics tomorrow. Thank You to the people that make this happen!!!!!!!!

4. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They don't call Byron the house of hook for nothing. Ever see their wheelie contest in October?

5. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

I had a BLAST!!! Thanks to the Fugitives, Byron dragway and everyone who made this event what it was.

6. What e.t. did you run Josh?

7. A huge thanks goes out to The Fugitives DRC. for putting on one hell of a cool race. I broke my car on the third pass saturday, but still made the 100 mile drive back to the track to hang out and watch the races sunday morning. Anyone who missed this event would be well advised to make plans for next year. July 20 and 21 2013 are already saved on my calendar.

8. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

Best event of the year awesome racing,cars, and people. Good times hangin with the crew thanks to Joe and Jeff to providing us with one of the best races of the weekend !! the 10.98 to 10.99 was awesome ! Thanks to the Fugitives and also Byron Dragway !!!!

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I have mixed feelings about the event. Honestly, I would have had more fun watching the racing and spending my time taking in all the eye candy. I sat in staging from 2:00 until after 4:00 to run my first grudge match, then didn't get matched up with my intendend component.
    I don't want to complain about an overall good time, but I was a little frustrated.:(

10. 1bad32sedan

1bad32sedan
    from Wisconsin

THANKS FUGITIVES AND BYRON DRAGWAY for putting on hands down the best event of the year. Had a blast. Can't wait till next year.

11. We had a BLAST all weekend was really cool for me and my brother to finally run each other. Both cars did not to run as good as we wanted on sat then we line up first race sun and both break into the 10's with 1 thousanth differance was awesome couldnt have turned out better. He got me 2 out of 3 and i am looking forward to the rematch with him next year also my rematch with 2b :cool:. Gotta thank the Fugitives for putting on BY FAR THE BEST EVENT in the world could not have turned out better. Couldnt do anything about the longer than usual waits in the staging lanes cant stop stuff from breaking had nothing to do with the way the event was ran there was just ALOT of track clean up from people breaking stuff it happens. Thanks again looking forward to next year

12. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Due to a bum knee I never made it to the pit side but got a few from the car show side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

14. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

x5 (the number of people that I brought along)
    anyone hear any feedback from the track operators on how they felt it went?
    Are they convinced to keep it a closed race like this year?
    I only over heard a little grumbling about two cars that were not allowed to
    make a pass because of their rims.

15. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

I would like to contact the guy in the Chevy if possible ..thanks

16. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

I can say me and my club buddys had a great time!!! We set up at the finish line and saw some of the best side by side racing in our lives,,some really nice racers too from all over we talked to the t56

texas crew with the t we talked to the scout guy from canada and the blew by you guy all real good people thanks fugitives for a great show

17. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

i bought a mint set of old edelbrock script valve covers for small block chevy without breather holes with a deep polish job for 150 bucks just a beutiful job of polishing

18. A huge thanks goes out to everyone that attended and raced. The event was a huge success thanks to each and every one of you that were there. I am still at the track and finally get to relax and drink beer. The track is 100% on board and next year is already set, July 20&21 2013. I think we had 5 guys change their wheels at the track with help from others in order to run. Thank you for that. The attitude of this group of racers is unreal and I am honored and humbled to be a part of it. It was cool to met and talk to you guys that drove so far. I know Saxon drove 16 hours and 39Fiat had 12 hours both from Canada. Again THANK YOU to everyone! You made this event special and a success. On
    a side note I ran a 10.84 @ 128 with the Fiat, my fastest time ever. I am still smiling.

19. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

10.84 thats great !!!

20. I thought both days had minimal breakage especially givin how hard everone was thrashin their cars! I say this event is gonna get bigger and better every year! Sign me up fer next year!

21. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Thanks to Byron and the Fugitives for such a great weekend. Had a blast even though my truck was out of commission but that's drag racing and the luck you have sometimes. I have to give a huge THANKS to the brothers racing crew especially Jeff(strokedstang331) for the help in the pits and the late nights leading up to the Meltdown. Also a huge THANKS to Kip (IIfunny) for awesome work he did for my blower setup all last minute. But great event, great weekend, and all around great people to be around. Can't wait till next year!

22. Inlaw Model A, I love the old fire mask! This realy seals the deal for the whole vintage package.

Attached Files:

• 206.jpg
      206.jpg
      File size:
      382.2 KB
      Views:
  23. WickedA346

WickedA346

We had a hell of a time! Big thanks to the Fugitives and to Byron. It was our first time at the MD event, first time running at Byron. The bike ran what I thought it would with its current gears, Skinny ran a best et, Malloy's rail ripped a 7.05 with two pipes out at the hit. We will definitely be back next year with more toys to play with. Might even have the Austin ready.

24. Thanks, that was a long wait in the sun that round. I need a door slammer. Get in and go. Thanks for taking the picture.

25. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Thanks for showing the pictures. Looks like a fun event.

26. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Even though I never made a whole pass I would still say this was the best MELTDOWN ever. I also would like to thank the FUGATIVES for putting on the best vintage meet in there is.

27. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

UPDATE....the track LOVED the feel of the event....they stated this group of people was by far friendlier than ANY of thier typical weekends.
    100% closed track for 2013 same as this year.
    Also....something to note for the kind of people we associate with and hang around....I left the place at 8:30pm last night.....and NOT A SINGLE piece of trash anywhere on the inner grounds. I saw some spectator cans in the spactator parking...but after that amount of people.....they WERE IMPRESSED!!!!

THANK ALL OF YOU....for coming, supporting, promoting the MD....and when you have 8 AWB cars and 25 Willy's, 60+ 55-57 chevy's ALL PERIOD correct...it is hard to not think your in a dream....let me assure you...it was not a dream!!!

AMAZING time.....Great Lakes Gassers & Nostalgic Gasser Racing Assoc....these guys are top notch!!! I mean, personality's, interaction, easy to work with, and they both need to consider a slogan on their shirts.

WE DO REAL GASSERS!!!!!....................almost crashed the golf cart when I went down there.....row after row of the most BEAUTIFUL cars you have ever seen...and they are PERIOD correct.......THANK YOU GUYS.....your half track burnouts and awesome wheel stands and EXCELLENT match ups were what had the crowds clapping...they LOVED IT!!!

Paul is correct we had 4-5 on site wheel issues. I located some wheels spacers so the one guy could run borrowed slicks. The other guy got wheels and also borrowed them...both guys ran!!!
    The other ones swapped them to participate on Sunday.

When you go to an event with this many cars, the staging lanes move slower than a week night. And some breakage slowed things down also....just depends when you got out there....2 big breaks in a 30 minute period slowed things down.

THANK YOU to all who supported us by buying an event shirt....SOLD OUT SATURDAY!!!

THANK YOU FOR COMING!!!

28. I just wanted to say it was nice meeting all you guys,you know who you are.....The event was stellar,well planned and tons-o-fun!

29. barbara

barbara
    from wisconsin

My dad & I have attended all 3 meltdown drags...they get better each year. We made 2 runs this year, & spent the rest of the time walking the pits, talking to people, & watching the racing this year...it was very exciting.

All the cars were great & put on a great show. It was awesome to watch. We were impressed with the quality of cars, the atmosphere, and of course the quality of people at this event. Everyone was very friendly & went out of their way to help each other.

There were so many to watch, i hated to leave the staging lanes in fear i would miss something. The 'lil red' coupe, the bronco from canada, the 'blew by you' chevy, the maximus mopar, mike bilina's '56, johnny rotten's chevy ii, the black studebaker, all the willys, all the dragsters...there were so many...too many to list...so many crowd pleasers.

We absolutely loved it & can't wait til next year. This event is truely something special, and we are very proud to be a part of it.

Best event ever, hands down. Thank you everyone for putting on a great show.

30. josh77

josh77

Best pass was a 14.71 @ 91. My clutch was acting funny, and it was only running on 7 1/2 cylinders, so I'm happy with that baseline. I made 6 passes and got better with each until I twisted the rear suspension. The car is at brother Nick's for some chassis/ clutch/ tuning changes.....