Register now to get rid of these ads!

most comfortable driving seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChefMike, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ChefMike

ChefMike

Its all about comfort I need some imput on what you feel is a great seat to go on a drive with and not feel like you need to take some advil everytime before or after you go for a ride. I want to replace the bench seat for some buckets in my 47 ford pickup .
    Thanks for any imput

2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I would recommend taking measurements for what you have. For example I doubt you want the top of the seats to stick above the rear window. With that being said once you have an idea for measurements trying going to a pick a part. Most foreign cars, honda, toyota, mazda are good options as they are compact. My model A has buckets from a Dodge Neon. Your 47 has a fairly wide cab, so those may not work. Good luck.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is the trick, getting bucket seats from a modern car to look right in an older car. As motoandy mentioned, you don't want highbacks that stick up too far. Some cars have headrests that will pop off, lowering them down some.

You may want to hit the wrecking yard with a tape measure and see what fits and looks right to you.

Don

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago I put some Honda Accord seats in a 1940 Ford pickup, they were very comfortable, and fit well in the narrow cab. Isn't a 47 cab the same width as a 40?

5. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Late '80's Dodge Caravans had low back buckets that were very comfortable on long rides.

6. the problem with old pickups is the thickness of the back of the seat. You're replacement needs to have a thin back.

I used a late 80's Ford Ranger bench seat in my F1. Comfortable, thinner back than a stock seat by about 2 or 3 inches, still folds forward like the original.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I just found this picture of the Fox Mustang seats I bought when I was building my Mustang. The headrest pops off, and these are pretty compact and come with sliders on the bottom. These are pretty much the same from 79-93.

Just something to give you an idea of what might fit.

Don

[​IMG]

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We put a pair of late 90s Honda Accord leather upholstered buckets in the 32 3W Coupe. Comfortable, removeable headrests, driver side adjustable to death, passenger manual, also used the seat belts from the same car. Ought to be fine in a pickup.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My 37 sedan had Caravan front seats. If you don't have a gas tank under the seat to worry about, the height is perfect. Driver side is power, pax side has a storage bin underneath. Easily re-covered, headrest pulls out if you don't like them. Super comfy. Plentiful and cheap. Gary

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep and the backs go pretty much straight up rather than taking up a lot of space like car seats. 4 bolt to get each out of the mini van base and all and the bases would be easy to cut down if needed.

Still when it's all said and done a properly redone stock seat is usually more comfortable in a pickup than most any other seat. I've probably had a dozen different seat setups in the 48 and the most comfortable was the original seat that a friend in Waco redid for me. Second was a 66 Olds Toronado seat that fit great after the truck was chopped and looked great in the truck but the foam fell apart and I got stupid and pulled it out rather than having it redone.
    what ever you use get a eat with backs that are pretty thin and don't lean back a long ways like the Camaro/Firebird seats that cut your legroom in half.

11. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

The seats in my Altima are the most comfortable I've ever sat in. The driver seat has independent height adjustments for the front and back of the seat, adjustable lumbar, removable headrest, etc. I've driven cross country in the car a few times without issue. I love the way the seat wraps around you to hold you in place in tight corners.

The drawback is the look. I wouldn't put these in anything older than a late 60s muscle car... If that.

If you don't have some nuts and bolts left when you get it back together, you did something wrong. -Papaw

Attached Files:

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The best vehicle seats I ever had were in my 78 Eldorado Biarrritz. After driving for 12 hours, it felt like I spent all day in my recliner. They are large and won't fit in a small vehicle.

The most uncomfortable seats were in a 2010 BMW that I drove from Minneapolis to St Louis because the owner had a sore back from driving from St Louis to Minneapolis.

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Sorry. If you're all about comfort, go buy a new Mercedes. Sure, comfort is a concern since the majority of us here do like to drive our cars and not be beaten up by them. But the comfort needs to be within the bounds of traditional ideals, and Altima bucket seats and the like don't fit. Put some new foam and upholstery on your stock bench and enjoy. That's more than enough comfort than you'll ever need.

14. Pontiac Fiero seats.

The earlier ones had speakers in the headrests that many rodders like.

15. 70's Mercedes buckets look old time and have removeabvle headrests

maybe a 220 or 280 model

[​IMG]

16. ChefMike

ChefMike

17. rld14

rld14

Also look into non-sport seats from an 82-88 BMW 5 series, the leather ones look almost like rolled and pleated and are very comfortable.

18. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Find some old 65,66 Mustang seats. The repops work fine and you can find covers for them that will fit any look you want. They sell covers that don't have the mustang emblem on them. I had a 66 that was daily driver and they were comfy seats. The fox body seats were good too but don't have the correct look IMHO.

19. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

the seats in my 47 ford pu are from an early 90's taurus. they are vey comfortable and fit well. couple hundred miles no problem. if you're at the junkyard, check pt cruiser seats too.

20. Cerberus

Cerberus

I installed a pair of 88 Fiero seats in my Street Rod. If you are wide in the hip don't use them. I chose them for low seating position and they fully recline. Here is a pic.

Attached Files:

21. Yea they're definitely not for fat asses. :D

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Now thats really funny. The car you posted with the seats in it looks like a 60s Camaro and is most definitely NOT a Street Rod.

23. John Force calls his Funny Car a "Hot Rod".

What's your point that pretains to this thread?

24. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Early 60s T-bird seats are nice. They don't sit too high, and if you're lucky you can score some 6-way power seats! I'm thinking about going '65 Impala in the Chevy myself. They're like really wide buckets. Or really short benches. Whichever.

25. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Still not seeing a single HAMB-friendly post yet on this thread.

26. What seats are you running and how comfortable are they? :confused:

Inquiring minds wanna know. :D

27. Deuces

Deuces

You talkin' to me????..... :mad:;)

28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Bone stock '57 Ford bench seat, reupholstered with some new foam and white tuck & roll covers. Nothing terribly fancy, but easy to clean, very durable and they look great. They've been very comfortable over the 70K+ miles I've driven my car, including many 5+ hour trips to shows throughout the Northeast and beyond. I personally enjoy the room to stretch out that a bench seat affords. My car is not the most comfortable due to other factors, but never because of the seat.

29. Nnnnoo, no sir, not at you. :eek:

Just sayin'! :D

30. Deuces

Deuces

Mine are black... :D