Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junior Thompson funny car found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3Kidsnotime, Jul 19, 2012.

1. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Not sure if the Satellite qualifies as a HAMB friendly topic but Junior sure does, after his gasser career, he decided to build a funny car the gassers were going away and time to move up, Juniors first funny car was a Plymouth Satellite after running the car a few years he was moving up to a new chassis so the Satellite just went away the car was MIA for 30 plus years a few days ago I found it (body and tin only) the amazing thing only the addition of rebellion was added over the name Junior Thompson what was left of the original paint and artwork is still there the decals on the rockers are from when Junior raced the car as well. I have been in contact with the Thompson family who verified that this is in fact the car. A cople shots in its day, and how it is today. The white on car is where the cany red has sun baked off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Great find!

3. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

4. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

A national treasure

5. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

I just noticed looking at pics 2 and 3 I posted I could see something above the O in auto I went back out they did not cover the bottom of the P in Thompson when they painted rebellion over it.

[​IMG]

6. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Great find. What are your plans?

7. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Not really sure at the moment It is just great to find it, and get it out of the weather. A restoration would be nice but with the chassis MIA might be a bit of a financial challenge still in deep thought on that one.

8. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Hope you dont mind if I post this thread on the classic funnycar board....ehh

9. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

10. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Go ahead I joined this morning but havent got my email back yet, Tommy Thompson has all the pics also, this is a fresh and verry cool find!!

11. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

I agree!!!

12. racer756

racer756

Nice find Jeff!

13. Sweet!!! Watcha gonna do with it?

14. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Wouldnt have been found without help you and Vic, Thanks!!!

15. slammed

slammed

Nice save fella!

16. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

Saw Junior Thompson tow that Australia ding dong, hanging on to a rope behind his car that night at OCIR.
    He (the ding dong!!!) had Titanium blocks on his parts that touched the asphalt.
    He (the ding dong,again!!!) spent the day wandering the pits ( there were a bunch of funny's there that night) TRYING to get SOMEONE to pull him, all the drivers turned him down, except for Junior.

It WAS spectacular, so many sparks from the Titanium, you could NOT SEE the guy on the rope as we ALL were laughing at the insanity of it all

I don't remember if that was this body or not, check with JR.
    JR. HAS to remember that stunt!

The Ding Dong was subsequently killed in another "stunt".
    Lost his grip hanging on to an airplane landing gear, ......go figure!

Wash it GENTLY, let dry, and spray it with a modern day clear, this will preserve what is left of the original paint and lettering.

I am a retired custom painter, VERY experienced, can give you the details or walk you through the procedure for clearing the old paint and lettering.
    It would NOT involve SANDING!!!
    Gary Anderson
    952-212-1118

Get a new body and duplicate what you have, with the Rebellion removed.
    (this is what I would do...)

Then decide whether to
    1 race it,
    2 cackle it
    3 or take the old body and a new complete car and RACE it, displaying the old body wherever you race.

You can duplicate the old paint and lettering, BUT it would be just that, a reproduction.

BTW, Nice Save!!!!

Your Pal, Gary

17. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Gary,

Im with you the car has wonderful patina I feel the car needs to have the rebellion removed and clear coated to save what is left, the car is part of history and if I keep it will be more in the form of a patina Crackle and for display type vehicle.

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Great find , especially with so much original paint intact, I REALLY LIKE THAT BODY STYLE Hmm?? I wonder why?:D Tim Jones

Attached Files:

19. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

The original paint was Lacquer, I would bet MONEY that it was Jon Kosmoski's House of Kolor paint.

I THINK that paint is STILL available in Lacquer.
    I did the base Kandies in Lacquer on the altered in my avitar in the year 2000, the clear is PPG Urethane Clear 2002.
    Look at the web site for House of Kolor.
    You would have to match the WHITE that it is now where "Rebellion" is,
    and Gary's Auto Parts looks to be the same color as the flame lick behind the front wheel opening, so that could be correctly redone with a weathered look.

Putting the name Junior Thomson in gold leaf and weathering it to look right, THAT would be the hardest....

Your Pal, Gary

20. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Tim Verry Cool! What Chassis is in your car?

21. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Really not sure who buildt the chassis, A couple guys think it was Romeo palamidies going by the front end, Not really sure, The fighting irish car had a watson chassis, Couldn't find the orignal chassis, Tim Jones

22. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

What WB is your car the Jr was built by Ken Cox

[​IMG]

23. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

118 inch wheelbase tho I could move things around and use a 120 inch chassis, There is a guy named Kenneth On here that has a cox chassis under his car, He;s also on the Classic funnycar board and had a post on it today on someones chassis question Tim

24. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

What a great find. If you don't put a chassis under it it would look great hanging in your garage.

25. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

This car will run again..... Lucky to be found it is the least I can do in life.. well other than soccer scouts camping house remods keeping the wife happy... well you get the idea..

26. Awesome find,Junior was the king of the gassers...real cool funny car body...and I do love my old funny cars!

27. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

I would say the Buick is the timepiece... But yes the Junior car is a verry cool find!! I did get it out of the work shop tonight and in my toy box for a verry long past due good nights sleep inside....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great find. Glad to see you are preserving a part of drag racing history!

29. WCD

WCD

While I didnt care for the actual production version, the Satellite took on a whole new look when its proportions were morphed into a funny car shell.

30. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Wow....great find!